BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I'm planning out a multi-day camping trip this summer. I've mapped it out in both ABRP and Rivian Nav. I've done a enough trips that I have more confidence in the ABRP trip times. My trips in Rivian Nav do seem 10%-20% more conservative than my driving experience.

My quick-and-dirty spreadsheet shows that ABRP's time estimates are 13% faster for driving and 19% faster for charging. Rivian thinks I need a 28 minute stop in Monticello that ABRP thinks I can completely avoid.

I do appreciate a slightly conservative number in my nav, as it's better than the other way around. But I'm finding the conservatism to be more limiting than helpful on longer trips. I end up planning for more charging stops than needed.

Does anyone else think better charging time predictions should be on the Rivian roadmap?

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk about the (over?) conservatism of Rivian Nav 1716345956127-il
Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk about the (over?) conservatism of Rivian Nav 1716346089237-8b

*Rivian Nav numbers are calculated in Conserve mode, as the planning stops more closely resembled the ABRP stops.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

You need someone to follow you on your trip? I usually don't make it east of Moab. :)
Did you adjust the arrival percentage in the rivian nav settings down low? That helps make bigger stretches.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My trips in Rivian Nav do seem 10%-20% more conservative than my driving experience.
Facts. I drove Seattle-ish to Portland and back today, it consistently initially predicted arriving with about 15 miles less for each leg. I think it has a built-in buffer around 15 miles or +/- 10%. The only time I come under is terrible headwinds.

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
What do you have your preferred arrival state of charge set for charging stops? I think the default in the Rivian is set fairly high which is going to waste a lot more time at charging stations. Lower it should fall in line.
The other issue is Rivian often has some charger speeds underrated

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

The Rivian nav seems to prefer longer and fewer charging stops. ABRP puts more emphasis on the faster charging curve between 10-50% but with more stops.

Just completed a 1200 mile trip using the native nav. I think I could have saved at least an hour using ABRP adding 2 more stops.

(Mainly skipping an overrated EA charger)

Sponsored

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
I drive up to VT frequently (170 miles); the Nav is 20-25 (or more) miles off regularly. In other words, if I am heading home, it will tell me I will not make it. I, like a true American, ignore this and then get home with 15-20 miles. My main joy in driving is now watching the nav go from negative/red to positive miles. It is like a small victory. I kind of like the conservatism, but I also know I can push the needle. And yes, the baseline arrival charge % is way too high especially if the destination has a charger so I routinely just go to zero and figure it out myself.

OP
OP

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

What do you have your preferred arrival state of charge set for charging stops? I think the default in the Rivian is set fairly high which is going to waste a lot more time at charging stations. Lower it should fall in line.
The other issue is Rivian often has some charger speeds underrated
Good call to check. I have them set consistently between the apps.

Some differences I would understand. For example, chargers that split power between two pedestals could have some different assumptions.

But I don’t get the major difference in RAN performance assumptions. Rivian had me charging to 80% in Salida and ABRP has me charging to 83%. This is the first leg of the trip, so starting assumptions are all the same. ABRP thinks it will take 29 minutes and Rivian thinks it will take 49. That’s a pretty massive gap.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

ABRP thinks it will take 29 minutes and Rivian thinks it will take 49. That’s a pretty massive gap.
Maybe the charging overhead time is set at 20 minutes by default? "Give them time to learn..."

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Good call to check. I have them set consistently between the apps.

Some differences I would understand. For example, chargers that split power between two pedestals could have some different assumptions.

But I don’t get the major difference in RAN performance assumptions. Rivian had me charging to 80% in Salida and ABRP has me charging to 83%. This is the first leg of the trip, so starting assumptions are all the same. ABRP thinks it will take 29 minutes and Rivian thinks it will take 49. That’s a pretty massive gap.
That was my second point - RAN has a lot of chargers that are 350 kw in reality listed as 150 in their system - whereas they are usually correct in ABRP. I think that’s the other big driver of the differences between the two.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

When I leave on Mondays to go to work (140 miles away....I stay locally overnight), I start with 290 miles (90%) and when I start my trip is says I will arrive with 93 miles left (I drive ~72mph), When I get to work, it is around 103 to 111.

If I was doing a long trip, I would charge when I can (if I get under 25%), only because I would rather be safe than sorry. We have only done 1 long trip (1,200 miles round trip). I studied PLUG-SHARE like a teenager cramming for an exam for about 2 months prior. When it was time to start our trip, I was confident in the charging stations I was planning on stopping at.

My advice......can't go wrong leaning on the conservative side of things!

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What consumption do you guys use for ABRP? I have 21” tires. The default is 2.5 I believe. Planning a trip to sequoia and planning to use conserve mode.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Tesla nav does the same. Think of it this way...would you want to risk your customers having a dead car because they drove stupidly, or whatever? I have always used ABRP to cross check my Tesla recommendations, and change them.

OP
OP

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Tesla nav does the same. Think of it this way...would you want to risk your customers having a dead car because they drove stupidly, or whatever? I have always used ABRP to cross check my Tesla recommendations, and change them.
I agree with being a little conservative. 10-15 miles over a ~300 mile trip seems reasonable.

But it compounds itself over longer distances. My trip is showing multiple hours added for both driving and charging. It seems excessive by a lot. There’s also an entirely unnecessary charging stop in there too. It’s good to know about as a backup, but I’d rather start with a more accurate calculation.

I’ve also had a few trips in the planner where it routes me on longer less sensical routes because of how it estimates charging time.

rjte84

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
O&G Engineer
Clubs

I did a 250 miles trip and yeah, the Rivian Nav was very conservative. I had 290 miles left and it was telling me that I won’t make it. I charged at the middle (10 min potty break) but without that miles added I would have arrived home with 30-40 miles (driving between 75-80 mph).

Now, I have a question. Is there a way to tell Rivian Nav to add a charge point in a planned stop? I know you can do that in the ABRP app but I couldn’t find that option on the Rivian Nav. There is a rest stop with a 350 kW charger that I would prefer to use as stop rather than the previous/next ones that have 150 kW/66 kW chargers. Rivian Nav add the stop and then suggest to charge somewhere else. I played with the desired charge % but couldn’t make it to add a charge at the rest stop.
Sponsored