Sponsored

Leg Room R1T vs R1S

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
These dimensions seem small for a full size SUV, especially the hip room.

This is interesting, as I was planning to use my R1S as my fall back vehicle for carrying older rear passengers should my Lucid Air turn out not to be as roomy as I hope.

As I posted above, without knowing exactly how legroom is measured by each maker, it's difficult to compare two vehicles based on published specs. That said, these figures indicate less than in inch more rear legroom in the R1S and only 1.4 more inches of headroom than in the Lucid with its long-range battery pack.

Given that the Lucid is smaller in exterior dimensions than a Porsche Taycan or Tesla Model S, these Rivian metrics do, indeed, seem small.

I had already decided not to finalize my Lucid order until I actually sat in a car when the Miami Design Studio opens at year end. I'm now thinking I'll have to find a way to do the same thing before I finalize my Rivian order.
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Just remembered I know someone that has ridden in the back seat of the blue R1T and also happens to have a Model S.

@jimcgov3 , any thoughts or comments?
Both are very roomy. I can't recall specifics of overall dimensions, but there was plenty of room for me.

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
The R1S interior dimensions per Christina today on chat are

FirstSecondThird
Leg Room
41.417​
36.653​
32.755​
Hip Room
54.881​
54.212​
42.755​
Head Room
41.141​
39.685​
38.622​
This is interesting - thank you to the original post for starting this discussion.

I've got a reservation for a R1T but am thinking about switching to an R1S because I want more interior space in the back for my big mutt and other gear that I don't want to carry in the frunk or the open air of the truck bed. (You can see my post where I hoped that Rivian would make the rear seats of the R1T fold up toward the rear to expose more floor space: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...lat-floor-in-the-future.654/page-3#post-11238. I know I should give up hope but I'm still putting it on my list for Santa/RJ.)

So this possible switch has me thinking about the rear seats of the R1S. I wouldn't opt for the 3rd row, but am inclined to get the larger battery pack. I'm hoping that the second row will fold down relatively flat to give me that interior space I crave.

I just looked up the Honda Ridgeline 2020 and the dimensions are similar to the R1S Second Row: leg room 36.7, hip room 56.6, head room 38.8. https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/specs-features-trim-comparison. (I currently have a 2006 Ridgeline and have carted 3 big/tall adults in the back row comfortably and Honda reports those dimensions as leg room 36.4, hip room 57.2, and head room 39.1, https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2006/Ridgeline/specs#mid^YK1626EW. Even better, with the rear seats folded up toward the back to expose the floor space I've had two large mutts travel back there comfortably, even when evacuating from a hurricane and I had other stuff tucked back there, too.)

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
I’ve been following this thread because I am a LE R1S holder and anxious about interior size and storage too. Family of five with a 4, 6, and 9 year old. I guess what gives me comfort is the overall size of the vehicle. 202 in length and 79 in width puts it roughly between mid to large size SUV. Plus there is roughly ~ 17 cuft between frunk and rear bin storage. I guess the one caveat is the wheel wells in the rear being closer to the center to improve aerodynamics. Just my two cents

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I’ve been following this thread because I am a LE R1S holder and anxious about interior size and storage too. Family of five with a 4, 6, and 9 year old. I guess what gives me comfort is the overall size of the vehicle. 202 in length and 79 in width puts it roughly between mid to large size SUV. Plus there is roughly ~ 17 cuft between frunk and rear bin storage. I guess the one caveat is the wheel wells in the rear being closer to the center to improve aerodynamics. Just my two cents
I'm in VA, with 5, 6, and 8 YO. By the time the R1S gets here, our kids will probably be out of the big boosters and hopefully be quite comfortable in the back. If not, they can ride in my Pacifica Hybrid and I can have my truck to myself!

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
4, 6, & 8 in TX. Can't wait for the extra seating for a couple extra friends or family, and to split up the kids between 2nd & 3rd rows to minimize bickering/fighting.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
This is interesting - thank you to the original post for starting this discussion.

I've got a reservation for a R1T but am thinking about switching to an R1S because I want more interior space in the back for my big mutt and other gear that I don't want to carry in the frunk or the open air of the truck bed. (You can see my post where I hoped that Rivian would make the rear seats of the R1T fold up toward the rear to expose more floor space: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...lat-floor-in-the-future.654/page-3#post-11238. I know I should give up hope but I'm still putting it on my list for Santa/RJ.)

So this possible switch has me thinking about the rear seats of the R1S. I wouldn't opt for the 3rd row, but am inclined to get the larger battery pack. I'm hoping that the second row will fold down relatively flat to give me that interior space I crave.

I just looked up the Honda Ridgeline 2020 and the dimensions are similar to the R1S Second Row: leg room 36.7, hip room 56.6, head room 38.8. https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline/specs-features-trim-comparison. (I currently have a 2006 Ridgeline and have carted 3 big/tall adults in the back row comfortably and Honda reports those dimensions as leg room 36.4, hip room 57.2, and head room 39.1, https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2006/Ridgeline/specs#mid^YK1626EW. Even better, with the rear seats folded up toward the back to expose the floor space I've had two large mutts travel back there comfortably, even when evacuating from a hurricane and I had other stuff tucked back there, too.)
I've got a 90 lb mutt and really would like the back seats in the R1T to fold down as they do in the Ridgeline, although in the Ridgeline I just 'sold' to one of the kids, the dog liked it best with one of the seats up, one down, liked to get up on the seat to see better I suppose. That aside, the key for me in choosing the R1T over the R1S is that, like the Ridgeline, there is a space for a full size spare. If you've ever had to drive on an interstate downhill on a donut, I think you'd always go for the full size spare if you have the option.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Wooooo, WA and no children whatsoever! Well, human children anyways. Got two 120+lbs beasts that I haul around. So hopefully the seats do in fact fold very nearly flat

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
My .02 cents:
I saw a post by @whyaskwhy - this link, page 15 - which lists the interior measurements of both the R1T and R1S. These were per an email from Rivian. I was happy to see that the measurements for the second row of seats (leg room, shoulder room, hip room...) are THE SAME for both vehicles. I can't comment on if they would be comfortable or not, but given that they are the same, I think it's safe to say that the R1T will be as comfortable as the R1S, possibly with the only difference being the opportunity to recline the seats in the R1S.

(edit) - also noticed that there is one other difference: Effective Head Room - Second (Glass Roof) - 38.2in R1T and 39.7in R1S - so, about 1.5 inches more headroom in the R1S.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Great question and it deserves an answer. For me as the primary driver, I don't foresee a time where I will be in the back seat. Therefore, it really doesn't matter.

Sponsored

socaladam

First Name
Aj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
nocomment
I am massively disappointed at the rear legroom. This is 9" less than my current truck has and my daughter is now just able to kick the back of my seat. With 9" less, she'll be able to hang her legs over the top of my seat and make me smell her toes....

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

These dimensions seem small for a full size SUV, especially the hip room.
Hip room was a surprise to me as well given the width of the vehicle. 2017 Toyota Sequoia is only half an inch wider and their hip room numbers are 62.5/59.9/50.4. From a overall size perspective, they are very close, with wheelbase within 2" and length 6" (which appears to be the difference between 7.1 cu. ft. storage behind r1s 3rd row and 18 cu. ft. in Sequoia). Numbers don't add up. I will say that Toyota (at least on the land cruiser) seems to measure 1st row with seats all the way back, second row with the first row pulled up for a 5" person to drive, and third row with the second row slid forward as far as possible. That would seem to make for deceiving leg room calculations.

I will say that I was impressed with the head room numbers, which is close to the LR4 numbers.

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Hip room was a surprise to me as well given the width of the vehicle. 2017 Toyota Sequoia is only half an inch wider and their hip room numbers are 62.5/59.9/50.4. From a overall size perspective, they are very close, with wheelbase within 2" and length 6" (which appears to be the difference between 7.1 cu. ft. storage behind r1s 3rd row and 18 cu. ft. in Sequoia). Numbers don't add up. I will say that Toyota (at least on the land cruiser) seems to measure 1st row with seats all the way back, second row with the first row pulled up for a 5" person to drive, and third row with the second row slid forward as far as possible. That would seem to make for deceiving leg room calculations.

I will say that I was impressed with the head room numbers, which is close to the LR4 numbers.
What do you mean by 7.1 cu. ft. of cargo room behind the 3rd row? The measurements I got from Rivian chat was 21 cu. ft. behind the 3rd row.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

What do you mean by 7.1 cu. ft. of cargo room behind the 3rd row? The measurements I got from Rivian chat was 21 cu. ft. behind the 3rd row.
That is reassuring. I got it from the Motortrend report. Maybe a typo on their part?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/rivian/r1s/

“A common feature between the R1T truck and R1S SUV is the 11.0-cubic-foot front trunk, giving the latter additional space for cargo. With all seats in place, the three-row R1S has 7.1 cubic feet of cargo space. The rear tub on the Rivian R1S has an extra 6.4 cubic feet of capacity when you take out the spare tire.”

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

That is reassuring. I got it from the Motortrend report. Maybe a typo on their part?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/rivian/r1s/

“A common feature between the R1T truck and R1S SUV is the 11.0-cubic-foot front trunk, giving the latter additional space for cargo. With all seats in place, the three-row R1S has 7.1 cubic feet of cargo space. The rear tub on the Rivian R1S has an extra 6.4 cubic feet of capacity when you take out the spare tire.”
Motortrend is usually pretty spot on. Now it makes me doubt if the Rivian rep told me accurate info. I’ll chat with them today and try to clarify.
Sponsored