Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future?

OP
S

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Reaction score
First Name
Barbara
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
Let's hope that Rivian designers are reading this forum and will consider a design change soon to offer way more interior cargo space by reconfiguring the rear seats. I haven't yet heard a good argument for the current design - does anyone have one to suggest?

For a company with an origin connected to Florida (name is inspired by Indian River near where founder grew up in Florida) I would hope that the need for/benefit of interior cargo space to avoid our crazy hot rainy weather would be obvious. And there's also the security feature of being able to transport expensive large gear (bikes, SCUBA tanks, etc.) inside the lock-able cab rather than in the bed.

Here's how Honda did the rear seats on the Ridgeline:

1597158995275.png

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
Do you have any photos/sketches of what that platform would look like? I'm planning to order the longest-capacity battery and didn't realize that it would affect the rear cabin space. (Am admitting my naivete about this - am a new member of the forum and slowly uncovering lots of details that I probably should have known by now. Thanks for your patience.)
I haven't seen pics or sketches, but Rivian has confirmed the storage space beneath the rear seat will be taken by additional battery modules for the 180 pack.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
With a frunk, gear tunnel and pickup bed, there's plenty of gear storage in a R1T.

As mentioned earlier, #21, under the rear seat storage was designed with more gear in mind, but perhaps it's not too late to lobby for a design change. Under the seat, gear storage can be/is being accommodated elsewhere.

Better space for pets, a sleeping platform, and larger, standing items, like for bikes, is needed. Anyone listening?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
With a frunk, gear tunnel and pickup bed, there's plenty of gear storage in a R1T.

As mentioned earlier, #21, under the rear seat storage was designed with more gear in mind, but perhaps it's not too late to lobby for a design change. Gear storage can be/is being accommodated elsewhere.

Better space for pets, a sleeping platform, and larger, standing items, like bikes, is needed. Anyone listening?

Last edited:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Sorry about the duplication on #33 & #34. Don't know how that happened.

As I've thought about the rear seat area in the R1T, it's turned into a big deal in my mind. While other trucks split on how to handle the area, with some offering under-seat storage and others offering a flat or nearly flat area, it seems the flat or nearly flat option is more popular. Just my impression.

It makes sense why. In-cabin, lockable, upright, flat or nearly flat space for tool boxes, pets, bikes and overnighting is limited. There's plenty of other space for gear, note the gear tunnel name.

Make the rear of the R1T like the rear of the R1S. That would be a big win for utility and versatility.

Last edited:

jarross

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
I just wish that Rivian would have designed the R1T rear seats to allow for a lot more cargo space by exposing a flat floor in the rear cab.

I agree. My wife's Silverado has this type of seat and we use it A LOT for many different purposes. It would be a nice touch.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
2016 Model X 90D, 2014 Model S P85
It seems likely to me that this design is to simplify production between the 180kWh pack models and the other models. They probably don't want to do two different designs and this one allows them to use the same seats either way. Fold up seats wouldn't really work with the larger pack, or wouldn't serve any purpose anyway.

I do agree that it's a disappointment for pet owners. It's also a bit of a disappointment for 180kWh buyers, because I'd actually like that packed away but climate controlled storage. The kids could throw their packs in there for hikes and not have them laying at their feet.