David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I totally agree that QC at the factory and/or SC should have caught and corrected all the trim issues and the torsion bar. But the hatch misalignment is so obvious ... I'm worried that there may not be an easy fix. Here's another misaligned hatch, just delivered yesterday and posted on Rivian Stories this evening.

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Green R1S VIN #000569 delivered! R1S hatch Sep252022
Sponsored

OP
OP

steve1081

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model S, 2021 Yukon Denali, R1S LE
Looking at it in person it seems the worst case would be the need to drill a new hole for the mounting hinge. It is the right shape it just isn’t mounted far enough forward. The gap at the top is also too large. It isn’t like the top is right and the lower part is sticking out which would suggest the panel shape itself is off.

But, yes it should not have made it out of the factory much less through the service center, etc.

I know the rivian stories guys get the attention of Rivian and RJ so maybe they could try to bring it to someone’s attention so at least it gets fixed quickly at the factory for future deliveries.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
holy crap. That's the worst set of fitment issues I've seen. I just hope they don't keep it in the body shop for too long.

I would be equally excited and want to take delivery, but I think I might have to turn it down and wait for a different build.

battleborn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
defender 110
Occupation
sales
Clubs

I was guessing that the R1S would have less body fitment issues than the truck- wrong.
This is very disturbing to see. I can't believe how bad these images are- I hope RJ is viewing this thread...

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I can't believe they let that car be sold to you. Like 1 or 2 panels maybe but you pointed out like 6 or 7. I as a buyer, if noticed at delivery, would be like no thank you. But when one has waited like 3-4yrs, you're like I'll take it and then open a service request to get them fixed..................

Man I hope this is all addressed by the time I get mine in 2024. If this is how they are being delivered, I'm ok with the wait.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

In the most recent video put out by Rivian on "See what manufacturing progress looks like.", RJ is talking and at the 4.50 mark, he claims that there is the final inspection for QC (he actually says fit and finish). The video is on their IR page.

https://rivian.com/investors

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Green R1S VIN #000569 delivered! 1664227759654

Clearly, your vehicle, unfortunately, must have slipped through the last step. The most unfortunate thing about this to the company is that they will spend more cost fixing it now that they would have at the factory. On top of that, their reputation and the customer satisfaction for new delivery takes another hit.

I know people here are big Rivian fans but for what it costs, this sort of thing should not happen. Just go look at the fit and finish on MB, BMW Audi eSUV offerings that cost similar. I bet $30K Bolt EUV is better finished, not to mention Genesis/KIA/Hyndai and Toyota/Lexsus/Subaru EVs

I just hope that Rivian recognizes the altitude that their vehicle is priced at and get their house in order quickly for this sort of issues.

OP
OP

steve1081

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model S, 2021 Yukon Denali, R1S LE
Yeah, hard to imagine taking it down that line with trained employees and all that specialty lighting and not noticing these things... I do think that the overall quality is very good and it is a shame to have the perception go down due to loose trim and the like.

Making vehicles is hard and they are brand new at it. The manufacturers who have been doing it forever still have issues when a totally new line comes out; so, I am willing to give them some leeway and time to make it right.

People who don't have tolerance for these types of things should not buy a 1st model year vehicle.

It still makes me smile every time I drive it ;)

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
In the 5th photo, I see a very tight gap between the painted rear edge of the left rear door and panel behind it. I would be concerned about that. A tight gap may be OK, but zero gap is not.
This is a great point. I had an early Porsche Macan (Black) and the gap between the hood and the front left panel was so tight that it was screeching horribly when you opened the hood. However, it did not happen consistently.

It took Porsche many months to figure out that when black Macans were left left in the sun, the hood would expand just enough to close the gap and make that horrible noise.

Ccomtois

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150
Occupation
Patient Rivian Pre-Order Holder
Wow...yeah, I have VIN 465...(took delivery 3 weeks ago) and didn't have anything near this many issues. I'm sure they will do what they can to fix them. My experience talking to service thus far has been beyond stellar.

The SUV overall is amazing, no doubt - and people are just blown away by how it looks. So far I'm loving it! Good luck w/ ur fixes.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Wow! Your photos show very sloppy assembly work. I don’t understand how your vehicle passed Rivian’s QC inspection.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wow! Your photos show very sloppy assembly work. I don’t understand how your vehicle passed Rivian’s QC inspection.
No inspection....just getting vehicles out
Sponsored