Sponsored

Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road?

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
It was crazy how quick things booked up!

We are going to try to make it to druid arch this time; we were out there several years ago but the kids were little so the hikes were short. If you pass through Grand Junction on your trip let me know, my wife is from southern MN.

We might go up to beef basin as well and hopefully Bobby's hole isn't washed out like last time we were there!
They go so fast. Needles was gone before 8:00:30 AM. I'm glad the Parks are getting more people outside but it seems it's getting to the point where the biggest adventure is finding a parking spot or getting a permit.

We may bug you as we pass through Grand J.; seems like you know the off-road options in the area better than we do. My wife and I have been through Canyonlands a couple yrs ago but in a Focus so no dirt roads :) The Rivian should in theory open up more options to get away from the crowds. Though, with the Focus we weren't as concerned with range. Hoping to get the R1T soon to get a feel for range and drain, then fill out our Canyonlands trip based on confidence.

Also small world in that I'm also born and raised in southern MN as well!
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did the White Rim last month on my motorcycle - 2nd time for me. It's amazing how slow 4 wheel vehicles have to travel. It was easily doable on a motorcycle in a day - 116 miles.

Would think the R1T should have more than enough battery power to do it. The only big climb is up the Shaefer switchbacks if you come out that way.

I'm dying for someone to go do in the R1T - and also go out to Chicken Corners overlook as well as Lockhart Basin!

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Did the White Rim last month on my motorcycle - 2nd time for me. It's amazing how slow 4 wheel vehicles have to travel. It was easily doable on a motorcycle in a day - 116 miles.

Would think the R1T should have more than enough battery power to do it. The only big climb is up the Shaefer switchbacks if you come out that way.

I'm dying for someone to go do in the R1T - and also go out to Chicken Corners overlook as well as Lockhart Basin!
I’m dying to be that person. Reserved permits for October 2021 as we were told to expect delivery Aug 2021. Ended up using my FJ again. Now, due to having Ocean Coast interior, latest delivery estimate is by Christmas 2022 (fall ends December 21). Whomp whomp

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Didn't take long for someone to hop to it.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Does anyone know i the glamping tent is a RAN location or a Rivian Waypoint?

iirc they were Waypoint, which is just level 2.
and i think i read somewhere (probably press release a few months back) that they were only free through earth day

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Range anxiety: off-roading when miles away from civilization.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Does anyone know i the glamping tent is a RAN location or a Rivian Waypoint?

iirc they were Waypoint, which is just level 2.
and i think i read somewhere (probably press release a few months back) that they were only free through earth day
If you're talking about the one in Moab, it is Waypoint and I believe restricted to use by the Under Canvas guests only.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has done the full White Rim on a single charge yet. @South I think you were looking at a June excursion; did your truck arrive in time?

We're gearing up for the trail in Sept.
Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? 20220704_174638

South

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has done the full White Rim on a single charge yet. @South I think you were looking at a June excursion; did your truck arrive in time?

We're gearing up for the trail in Sept.
20220704_174638.jpg
Hey North et al,

Apologies for the absence—been quite a summer so far.

Yes, we completed White Rim on a single charge. I confirmed with the NPS rangers who granted the permit and one out on the trail that we were the first EV to complete the full trek (first permit to an EV they ever granted). I think I mentioned previously too, but we charged to 100% at the Under Canvas Moab chargers beforehand and finished the full journey will approximately 80 miles remaining after getting back to our hotel on the north end of Moab. We did the trail clockwise (from Shafer to Mineral Bottom) with side treks to Lathrop and White Crack (we got the White Crack campground—such a great site). Efficiency was great. As many have noted, off-roading in the R1T doesn’t drain the battery too much more. We also used our outlets extensively throughout the trip to cook meals and charge electronics. It was pretty warm out too—~100F, but the trucks temperature reading seems to be overstated. We ran A/C and seat coolers the entire drive. The truck also dominated all obstacles on the trail.

If I can share anything else to help you plan your trip, let me know.

All the best,
South

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Yes, we completed White Rim on a single charge. I confirmed with the NPS rangers who granted the permit and one out on the trail that we were the first EV to complete the full trek (first permit to an EV they ever granted).
Wonderful to hear the positive news, South! I'm feeling much better about making the drive. Thank you for the quick summary report and congrats on the EV milestone! Share a pic of your truck on the trail for us sometime if you have a good one.

Sponsored

South

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Wonderful to hear the positive news, South! I'm feeling much better about making the drive. Thank you for the quick summary report and congrats on the EV milestone! Share a pic of your truck on the trail for us sometime if you have a good one.
Anytime! As you're planning your trip, please don't hesitate if a question arises. The rangers mentioned there were a few other R1Ts planning their trips for the fall and asked for an update once we completed our trip—they're up to speed now. One additional thing I didn't mention before was our tonneau cover did get stuck out on the trail. We had our cooler and other things in the bed which were then a bit of pain to access. I've read elsewhere that dust seems to clog the rails up and there was certainly a good amount of red dust everywhere. Aside from that, everything else was great.

Rivian R1T R1S Large pack - Enough range to complete the White Rim Road? IMG_6969cen

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
One additional thing I didn't mention before was our tonneau cover did get stuck out on the trail. We had our cooler and other things in the bed which were then a bit of pain to access. I've read elsewhere that dust seems to clog the rails up and there was certainly a good amount of red dust everywhere. Aside from that, everything else was great.
Thanks for getting the rangers up to speed for the rest of us. And good to know about the tonneau. I'm building a bed insert with slides for our cooler, power bank and water as we speak for the exact situation you described. Seems like a matter of when it fails and not if.

Also, that's a beautiful picture.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
We are going to try to make it to druid arch this time; we were out there several years ago but the kids were little so the hikes were short. If you pass through Grand Junction on your trip let me know, my wife is from southern MN.
Hey @JeremyP we're heading to the the White Rim as I write this.

Our agenda has us passing through there tomorrow between about 11:00am and 1:00pm, depending on charger status, of course. It's a workday but feel free to send me a message if you happen to be free and we'll say Hello to ya.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No White Rim, but while I was out in the boonies for a couple of weeks I found that putting the R1T in conserve mode, then setting the ride height to normal boosted my off road efficiency much much more than I thought it would. Big difference in efficiency if you're not actively needing 4WD.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

This has already been attempted and according to the R1T owner who did two out and backs on the White Rim, he's not confident it's possible unless you ran without HVAC and charged to 100% at the closest level 2 charger. He got 1.7-1.9 mi/kWh on the trail.

Edit: Looks like I'm late to the party and wrong about if you can make it. It's been done more than once.
Sponsored

Last edited: