Sponsored

L2 Charging Question -- need to reset input to 40A each time or will the truck default to the 40A input automatically?

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
My home has the Rivian L2 wall charger installed and the truck is set to 48A input. Works splendidly and gives me 25-27 miles per hour. I installed A 240v 15-50 plug at the office and purchased an Electrek 40A charger so that i can top off battery while at work. My question: do I need to reset input to 40A each time or will the truck default to the 40A input automatically? Iā€˜m guessing yes since I donā€™t have any issues with the OEM factory cord which charges at 32A ā€¦ but I want to make sure.
Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

The Electrek EVSE would have that limit set and negotiate with the truck to only pull 40 amps.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
My home has the Rivian L2 wall charger installed and the truck is set to 48A input. Works splendidly and gives me 25-27 miles per hour. I installed A 240v 15-50 plug at the office and purchased an Electrek 40A charger so that i can top off battery while at work. My question: do I need to reset input to 40A each time or will the truck default to the 40A input automatically? Iā€˜m guessing yes since I donā€™t have any issues with the OEM factory cord which charges at 32A ā€¦ but I want to make sure.
Thatā€™s a feature all EVSE (wall and portable chargers) have. They tell the vehicle what the max amps that they can deliver, so the vehicle will only draw up that amount. So you donā€™t have to tell the Rivian what it can charge at when connecting to any EVSE.

Theres really only two times youā€™d set your amps inside the vehicle. First is if you have a 48A wall charger like you have, and you donā€™t drive much, so you might to set it to only draw 30A or 40A just to not stress anything since you only need to fill up for 3-4 hours each night. But thatā€™s a belts and suspenders kind of thinking, and then youā€™ll forget to reset it after youā€™ve done that one big driving dayā€¦

The second time youā€™d do it is more critical. You can buy pigtail adapters online to convert the NEMA 14-50 plug of your Rivian portable charger to plug into a NEMA 14-30 or 10-30 outlet which is what electrical dryers plug into and are 240V/30A circuits. But the portable charger is going to think it can draw its max 32A since it thinks it is plugged into a NEMA 14-50, not realizing it is plugged into that adapter pigtail. So if doing this, youā€™d dial down the Rivianā€™s amps to 24A (the rule being to charge at 80% of the circuits breaker rating for continuous draws).

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
As they say on Tesla forumsā€”the charger is in the truck, the wall CONNECTOR is what provides power to the charger. True of all EVā€™s. So if wall CONNECTOR provides 40A, and your truck is set to 48A, it will only charge at 40A. If truck is set to 32A and the CONNECTOR is providing 40A, you will only charge at 32A.

You cannot draw more than what the connector is offering but you can restrict it to draw less. Similar to L3 350kw chargersā€”your truckā€™s onboard charger is limited to 200 so thatā€™s where you will peak at.
Sponsored