Sponsored

Keeping my Rivian outside?

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Honestly, all this talk about coatings, shades, etc. Take a stroll around - most vehicles in California are outside all the time and they all hold up fine. You’re not going to want your Rivian in 5-10 years anyways and it will hold up just fine until then.
Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Honestly, all this talk about coatings, shades, etc. Take a stroll around - most vehicles in California are outside all the time and they all hold up fine. You’re not going to want your Rivian in 5-10 years anyways and it will hold up just fine until then.
I was thinking the same exact thing.
Who keeps their cars for 15 years these days. 5 already sounds kinda crazy.
The quality of paint is much better these days than it used to be. I don’t think you’ll have an issue.
But don’t feel bad for asking, people on the Raptor forum have the same questions. I guess it’s a concern for some.
These days I feel like I keep my phones longer than my cars - and I change phone every year (never said it was a wise financial choice , especially in Cali).

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

The quality of paint is much better these days than it used to be. I don’t think you’ll have an issue.
But don’t feel bad for asking, people on the Raptor forum have the same questions. I guess it’s a concern for some.
These days I feel like I keep my phones longer than my cars - and I change phone every year (never said it was a wise financial choice , especially in Cali).
I just got rid of a car I had for 19 years. I have a 9 year old car and a 6 month old car. I am only considering getting rid of the 9 year old car because
1. I want to go all electric and
2. Rivian is just too damn cool.

I expect to have cars 10+ years as well.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I just got rid of a car I had for 19 years. I have a 9 year old car and a 6 month old car. I am only considering getting rid of the 9 year old car because
1. I want to go all electric and
2. Rivian is just too damn cool.

I expect to have cars 10+ years as well.

I suspect the Rivian might be different. I don’t think these early generation electric cars will age as well as todays ICE vehicles just because the area will see more innovation.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Cars last much longer than they used to and EVs should last even longer. A new car every 5 years?! That’s about when I replace my cell phone and ipad.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I suspect the Rivian might be different. I don’t think these early generation electric cars will age as well as todays ICE vehicles just because the area will see more innovation.
There’s always something new coming out and even ICE cars are adding tech at a fast pace. All the self driving and stuff like that will continue to be updated. As long as the Rivian can do the same thing after 15 years as when new I’ll keep it that long.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
There’s always something new coming out and even ICE cars are adding tech at a fast pace. All the self driving and stuff like that will continue to be updated. As long as the Rivian can do the same thing after 15 years as when new I’ll keep it that long.

Fair enough. I was just thinking that we will likely have 500 mile range and charging that’s 3x faster making the current generation unattractive in the resale market - so there will be a time where replacement or drive until it dies will be the two main choices.

BTW my current vehicle is a 2009. I’m just thinking about Rivians differently right now, but maybe I’ll still be driving it in 2035 too!!

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Fair enough. I was just thinking that we will likely have 500 mile range and charging that’s 3x faster making the current generation unattractive in the resale market - so there will be a time where replacement or drive until it dies will be the two main choices.

BTW my current vehicle is a 2009. I’m just thinking about Rivians differently right now, but maybe I’ll still be driving it in 2035 too!!
I hope we get there eventually but I do think it’s going to be at least a decade before we see solid state batteries in a significant amount of cars. I’d expect to see them in small electronics first like cell phone before cars.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I wonder if, by the time we get to solid state batteries, a full battery replacement could be a viable path.

I think some Nissan Leaf owners have done that to prolong their car's life.

This is totally an uneducated guess at price but $10k-$20K for another 10 years of life could be doable.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Good evening everyone....

Maybe this will sound like a ridiculous question, but should the R1T hold up fine being kept outside? I have a Tesla model S and my wife has a Lexus GS 350 F sport. We have always kept them in the garage. We also have an old 2007 Toyota Corolla that is kept in the driveway for our mother in law to use, but the paint has begun to peel pretty bad.

When I get my Rivian, I would keep it in the garage, but it will not fit so I will have to keep it in the driveway.

My neighbors all have trucks and they seem fine. I think they get them detailed annually or every six months, but they don't even keep them under a cover. I plan on getting both a PPF (full front) and ceramic coating, but would hate to have my R1T messed up because it is not in the garage.

As always, thanks in advance for the replies

Adam
A garage is always best, then a carport and if not that those sun shades or solar sails or whatever. I wouldn't waste any time or money on coatings. The film might help and a UV film on the windows could help but the most damage is done by overactive cleaning, buffing, waxing and drying the clear coat. You can also try a car cover but then you have to keep the car really clean to be able to use the cover. Even if you're not planning on keeping the car that long, there's no harming trying to be careful with it, but like anything else is a fight of diminishing returns.

You can even go totally nuts and get one of those home car wash things that spray down the car everyday so that you don't have to actually do a more damaging physical cleaning.

You can leave it outside and it should be fine, but in addition to curious cats, leaves, dust, pollen, bird poop, any sun damage that normally adds to the desire to clean it and or clean it more often and that does more damage to the paint or clear coat. So keeping it covered or in a garage is best if you can do it

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I do. I get my money's worth out of a car by using it up. Right now I'd driving a 2009 civic with 328K and it just keeps going. I don't need to replace it. It gets me to work and back, which is a 97 mile round trip. I'll probably keep driving it most days even after I get my R1T because work pays for the gas.

I keep it in the garage along with the Fit. I'd kick out 1 car if I could fit my truck in, but the garage is so short that the truck will only fit if I'm almost touching the rear wall. No way to walk around and I'd have to relocate the utility sink.

I'm getting a carport of some kind so I can park Arty under cover.

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Is this a joke?
Well, even with a significant individual and household income (relatively to national average) and low debt, my wife and I both tend to keep our cars for ~10 years.

This is why I buy the best I can when I am ready to commit to a new car.
Knowing that the world was transitioning to electric , for the past 3+ years I have actually been planning for an electric car - figuring out my minimum requirements, cost and reliability that I want in a new car.

With ~300 miles of range (which is my minimum) the R1S will be an adequate car for me and, like my current car that is constantly parked outside, I will do the same with it and expect it to look flawless after 10 years.

Either way, we all have our financial justifications/choices, and if you believe that the minimum you should keep a car is 3-5 years, then good for you - you can obviously afford it. I have ~20 years to retirement and need to be thoughtful in my own expenditure.

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Good evening everyone....

Maybe this will sound like a ridiculous question, but should the R1T hold up fine being kept outside? I have a Tesla model S and my wife has a Lexus GS 350 F sport. We have always kept them in the garage. We also have an old 2007 Toyota Corolla that is kept in the driveway for our mother in law to use, but the paint has begun to peel pretty bad.

When I get my Rivian, I would keep it in the garage, but it will not fit so I will have to keep it in the driveway.

My neighbors all have trucks and they seem fine. I think they get them detailed annually or every six months, but they don't even keep them under a cover. I plan on getting both a PPF (full front) and ceramic coating, but would hate to have my R1T messed up because it is not in the garage.

As always, thanks in advance for the replies

Adam
My recommendation is to get ceramic or even better graphene coating done to the exterior. It will protect it like an extra layer of armor. I've had it done and park my cars outside and it's been amazing. Washing is so easy and most of the time the car looks clean (even white). Can't say enough about it. Yes it's pricey ($2000-3000 depending if you do ppf as well) but it is well worth it

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is this a joke?
Well, even with a significant individual and household income (relatively to national average) and low debt, my wife and I both tend to keep our cars for ~10 years.

This is why I buy the best I can when I am ready to commit to a new car.
Knowing that the world was transitioning to electric , for the past 3+ years I have actually been planning for an electric car - figuring out my minimum requirements, cost and reliability that I want in a new car.

With ~300 miles of range (which is my minimum) the R1S will be an adequate car for me and, like my current car that is constantly parked outside, I will do the same with it and expect it to look flawless after 10 years.

Either way, we all have our financial justifications/choices, and if you believe that the minimum you should keep a car is 3-5 years, then good for you - you can obviously afford it. I have ~20 years to retirement and need to be thoughtful in my own expenditure.
It was meant to be sparking conversation.
I’m glad you enjoy keeping things forever. People like you make that there’s less waste and that’s what most of us should do but I don’t.
Similarly though I buy cloths and shoes that last, try to not waste food and buy with less packaging.
To me cars are just another toy and in the end it benefits the state with all the taxes I pay and allows people with lesser means to get into a nice car with low miles for much less money. as I said, it’s not sound financially.

Going back to reliability… Rivian mightnot be the best pick. Zero experience building anything. Zero knowledge on their long term reliability (probably should just write short term at this point). Replacement parts unavailability. First production
This will be an interesting adventure.
Hey I’ve signed up more than 3 years ago so we’ll all be on the same boat
Sponsored