Sponsored

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R1T.
Clubs

Hello,

Installed the Piston SR today and wanted to share some pics. Installation was super easy and fast.

I did the T-Channel setup for a cleaner look:
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_160534

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_154616
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_154628
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_154639

You don't have to move the front arms forward to mount the bike.
The whole rack can be adjusted easily if you need more room up front (just slide it):
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_160127
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_160122
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_161722
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_162741
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_161856
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230325_165338

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230320_173313

I did a few hard stops and cornering tests and the bikes were still hanging on. No issues there!

I am very happy with the setup. Here are the specs.
Assembly Video

Apologies for the crappy pics.
Sponsored

jhelmig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thank you! I am a huge Kuat fan but don't love how the tailgate wont clear the NV 2 without a drop on the receiver... about to pick up a Piston SR and try that.

What size wheels are on your MTB and is there any risk for part that holds the front wheel hitting the back window or air deflector on the roof?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nice! A beefy Kuat version of the 1UP dual arm rack.

Do the arms adjust and stay in place via the pistons or some other click or tension mechanism? Do the arms themselves lock into place or is the cable the only security lock? Does the Kuat lock to the crossbars or just bolts in the Tchannel?

OP
OP
HAL9000

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thank you! I am a huge Kuat fan but don't love how the tailgate wont clear the NV 2 without a drop on the receiver... about to pick up a Piston SR and try that.

What size wheels are on your MTB and is there any risk for part that holds the front wheel hitting the back window or air deflector on the roof?
I have the NV 2 on the RR and it works really well on that vehicle.

MTB wheels are 29's.
You don't have to fold the front wheel holder way forward to mount the bike. If you are worried about the front wheel holder hitting the deflector, its easy to slide the whole rack backwards to give you even more room. The T channels under the rack lets you list it back more.

I have them mounted to the fare side this way it avoids the deflector. As you can see in my pics there is still room between the wheel and deflector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HAL9000

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Nice! A beefy Kuat version of the 1UP dual arm rack.

Do the arms adjust and stay in place via the pistons or some other click or tension mechanism? Do the arms themselves lock into place or is the cable the only security lock? Does the Kuat lock to the crossbars or just bolts in the Tchannel?
The arms do adjust and click. Arms do lock into place (Piston has alittle release lever on it). The cable is just so no one runs off with your bike etc (there is a lock and key for the cable only).

Anyone can walk up to the rack and release the lever on the piston and take your bike. The cable is there to prevent that.

You can set it up both ways. Locking to the crossbar (bolts) or use the t-channel on the bar.
Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 1679851148464

Last edited:

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I have a couple of Rad Power e-bikes and would love to hear of easy, inexpensive and quick solutions for loading/unloading and securing in bed. Anyone?

OP
OP
HAL9000

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have a couple of Rad Power e-bikes and would love to hear of easy, inexpensive and quick solutions for loading/unloading and securing in bed. Anyone?
It was very easy to toss my MTB up onto the rack. The E-bike was a little more painful because its very heavy. If you are buff then tossing a few e-bikes up there should be fine :) .

Last edited:

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It was very easy to toss my MTB up onto the rack. The E-bike was a little more painful because its very heavy. If you are buff then tossing a few e-bikes up there should be fine.
I’d prefer to toss and secure them in the bed, rather than high up as the OP does. Looking to see if there is some easy way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HAL9000

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I’d prefer to toss and secure them I. The bed, rather than high up as the OP does. Looking to see if there is some easy way.
Those big bikes I really wouldn't put up on a rack like this. I'd feel much better just having them tied down in the bed for sure.

jhelmig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The arms do adjust and click. Arms do lock into place (Piston has alittle release lever on it). The cable is just so no one runs off with your bike etc (there is a lock and key for the cable only).

Anyone can walk up to the rack and release the lever on the piston and take your bike. The cable is there to prevent that.

You can set it up both ways. Locking to the crossbar (bolts) or use the t-channel on the bar.
1679851148464.png
Perfect, thank you for the quick respone.
I have the NV 2 on the RR and it works really well on that vehicle.

MTB wheels are 29's.
You don't have to fold the front wheel holder way forward to mount the bike. If you are worried about the front wheel holder hitting the deflector, its easy to slide the whole rack backwards to give you even more room. The T channels under the rack lets you list it back more.

I have them mounted to the fare side this way it avoids the deflector. As you can see in my pics there is still room between the wheel and deflector.
Perfect, thank you for the quick response...

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
That’s why I went with the hitch version

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I’d prefer to toss and secure them in the bed, rather than high up as the OP does. Looking to see if there is some easy way.
Those big bikes I really wouldn't put up on a rack like this. I'd feel much better just having them tied down in the bed for sure.
That’s why I went with the hitch version
I agree... getting the heavy e-bikes into the bed of the truck is one thing...then having to lift them up onto bed rails is a lot of effort!

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I’m looking at this for the same reason. Looks very secure and keeps everything in the bed. Might have to leave the tailgate down though but it’s hard to tell.

https://builtrightind.com/products/bedside-rack-system-cab-wall-molle-panel-kit-rivian-r1t-2022
This is the setup I just installed this past weekend... coupled the BuiltRight molle panel with the Ride88 mounts. The molle panel has just enough flex in it that I'm concerned about the long term stability of this setup. I'll report back once I've used it for a while.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This is the setup I just installed this past weekend... coupled the BuiltRight molle panel with the Ride88 mounts. The molle panel has just enough flex in it that I'm concerned about the long term stability of this setup. I'll report back once I've used it for a while.
I previously looked at and ruled out the Molly panels for two reasons:

1) The attach points on the sides of the truck are M6 bolts. This would be okay for a light duty single point tie down at each M6 location, but pretty weak tying stuff to the Molle panel between these three M6 panel attach points.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/jebinc’s-bitchin’-no-rails-tie-downs-mod.13585/#post-302292

2) Cost vs value not there for me.

Re hitch mount - I have one and have used it previously on my Telsa MYP. It's a pain in the ass if you go out infrequently (couple times a week) as the hitch carrier is not something you would not want to leave attached with not in use; and it's a hassle to remove/store/install on a regular basis. This is why I thought maybe the bed?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085ZPCZGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased two ramps that go from the ground to the tailgate. This allows me to drive up my Ego E6 or Quads. Might see if that works with the ebikes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7516B8J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored