wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I think so, the cargo bars are Rivian branded. But plastered with Made in China on the bottom. Also shipped from LA, guessing it's off the boat from China.
Do you know this to be the true issue, or are we just guessing at it?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
OP managed to persevere
I thought OP followed up saying that they had grabbed the wrong set and problem remained? And also no follow up so far from OP on the pressing down and jiggling suggestion made by Sconces.

OP
OP

plasmdude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
I thought OP followed up saying that they had grabbed the wrong set and problem remained? And also no follow up so far from OP on the pressing down and jiggling suggestion made by Sconces.
Sorry, no dice. Tried several suggestions to get the latch to engage. I am waiting for Rivian Support to take a look. They need to take in my truck for servicing leaking hydraulic fluid also.

Sponsored

OP
OP

plasmdude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Do you know this to be the true issue, or are we just guessing at it?
Off the cuff. Its not branded as Yakima but rather Rivian. But it is not from Normal or they outsourced it to China. Guessing the QA procedures are still being worked out.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Off the cuff. Its not branded as Yakima but rather Rivian. But it is not from Normal or they outsourced it to China. Guessing the QA procedures are still being worked out.
@wicked2112 works for Yakima, which is the supplier of these crossbars.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

@wicked2112 works for Yakima, which is the supplier of these crossbars.
Though Yakima created these, all questions and concerns with the bars are to directly addressed with Rivian for any type of warranty replacements or questions.

OP
OP

plasmdude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Got my truck back from the service center. They reported that the latch I had was able to be snapped into place after unusual amount of force. They agreed this was out of spec and replaced the cross bars with new ones. The new cross bars work much better though one is a bit reluctant but manageable.

Sponsored

Kalei

First Name
Kaeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Server
Got the cargo bars via UPS today! The install was very simple most of the time was unboxing and unwrapping. However, I do believe that I have a defective latch. Three of the latches engage with a nice double click. But the fourth is really soft and does not fully seat.

Good latch:

Bad latch:
All that’s wrong with it is the angle your putting it in and the length it takes a few minutes but I was able to fix it

BRadloff

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Toyota Tundra, BMW 535
Occupation
Sales
Got the cargo bars via UPS today! The install was very simple most of the time was unboxing and unwrapping. However, I do believe that I have a defective latch. Three of the latches engage with a nice double click. But the fourth is really soft and does not fully seat.

Good latch:

Bad latch:

[/QUOT

Good latch:

Bad latch:

I received the crossbars yesterday. I have the exact same problem with 3 out the 4. Worked on them for over 90 minutes. Tried everything I could find on any forum. Finally called customer support. We have a ticket filed. Let's see how long it takes to get a fix.

Last edited:

LaunchR1T

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I had exactly the same issue with mine. I tried every angle I could with no luck. Some would click in, others would not.

I then had success by lifting up on the center of the bar with one hand while pushing down on the latch with the other. Not hard, not much pressure needed. It seems that slightly changed the angle of the latch to perfectly fit into it's home.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I had the same issue with my crossbars and had the mobile service come to my house to fix. I watched the service tech work on them for 30mins and quickly realized I could have fixed them myself with just a little patience. You can remove the plastic cover that's over the actual latching mechanism and make small adjustments with an allen wrench to realign the latch. It was basically a trial and error type process, but I know how to fix it if it ever happens again.
Sponsored