Sponsored

Is Voice to Text Messaging without CarPlay/AA Even Possible?

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian Blue Ocean Coast Adventure Package
One of the most requested features on these forums is voice to text messaging integration. We all know that CarPlay/AA would solve that and I'm not trying to start another thread on how much we want CarPlay (even though I really do want it very badly). But aside from CP/AA, is it even possible? Do Apple and Google allow that kind of access to their software? Are there any other cars that have this feature without CarPlay/AA?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
One of the most requested features on these forums is voice to text messaging integration. We all know that CarPlay/AA would solve that and I'm not trying to start another thread on how much we want CarPlay (even though I really do want it very badly). But aside from CP/AA, is it even possible? Do Apple and Google allow that kind of access to their software? Are there any other cars that have this feature without CarPlay/AA?
Siri does this, android’s voice assistants do this…all wothout CarPlay/AA, for ages now.

many vehicles’ own voice command systems do this also

OP
OP

hekhl00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian Blue Ocean Coast Adventure Package
Siri does this, android’s voice assistants do this…all wothout CarPlay/AA, for ages now.

Yes, I've driven cars that have Siri access without launching CarPlay. But all of those cars, as best I recall, also had CarPlay integration anyway. Would Rivian go as far as integrating Siri without full CarPlay? That would certainly be a step in the right direction at least.

So there are cars that can use only the internal voice command, not Siri, to send and read texts via iOS?

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I use Google assistant all the time to read, reply and send text or do other actions like changing music/podcasts.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

My 2017 Ford Fusion did this via the native Sync system. While not as good as CarPlay, as I recall it worked fine for texting and dialing contacts by voice. If Rivian could get that level of functionality for hands-free texting it would be a big improvement over the nothing we have currently.
edit:typo

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Many cars have it w/o CarPlay/AA. The easiest comparison is Tesla has the ability to sync and send. It's just bluetooth syncing of contacts and messaging through it.

The truck is capable of doing voice to text today. Someone just needs to carve out the time to actually do enable it IMO. I think this because if you ask the truck to send a message it'll ask for contacts. If you've enabled contacts it then says messaging is not enabled on this device and to go to the app to enable. Well unfortunately Rivian doesn't give us all the controls in the app...

It's all annoying because I can do an announcement from the car. So instead of texting my wife, I just announce to the whole house. My kids find it irritating especially when I'm tasked with running an errand I don't typically do.

Alexa, announce - Which Kohls is it?
Alexa, announce - Is it in store? Or curbside?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I've driven cars that have Siri access without launching CarPlay. But all of those cars, as best I recall, also had CarPlay integration anyway. Would Rivian go as far as integrating Siri without full CarPlay? That would certainly be a step in the right direction at least.

So there are cars that can use only the internal voice command, not Siri, to send and read texts via iOS?
It’s not a Siri integration. It’s Bluetooth. you long press the voice command button. If siri is on your phone will activate Siri. I’ve done this in cars with Bluetooth from 2007.

some cars can use their infotainment system to dictate text messages with Their own voice controls, yes.

My 2017 Ford Fusion did this via the native Sync system. While not as good as CarPlay, as I recall it worked fine for texting and dialing contacts by voice. If Rivian could get that level of functionality for hands-free texting it would be a big improvement over the nothing we have currently.
edit:typo
my 2017 ford with Sync3 does this.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
While slightly annoying I can still text fine while driving the R1T. A simple “hey siri, text whoever” or “read whoever’s text message” works well enough.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
It’s not a Siri integration. It’s Bluetooth. you long press the voice command button. If siri is on your phone will activate Siri. I’ve done this in cars with Bluetooth from 2007.
R1T can't do this. It will only launch Alexa and there is no setting (yet) that allows you to use your phone's virtual assistant.

danielvdm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Tesla lets you read and dictate text messages from their OS without using Siri or CarPlay (obviously). Honestly it's kind of nicer than CarPlay because Tesla will actually show the text of the message in the UI (though arguably less safe).

Sponsored

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Since Rivian already uses AWS for other services they will likely integrate this at some point in the future.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Tesla has done voice to text for quite a long time now without CP or AA.
FWIW.. Tesla's iteration is quite accurate and it's dead easy to use.

Coj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC90 T8
Occupation
Real Estate

Agreed. I use AA for calls, Siri for reading and sending texts and changing music.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I know this is an old thread but this was incorrect info and didn’t want to leave it hanging. This old “long press to invoke Siri” function was named “Siri Eyes Free” and was indeed a licensed feature in some cars and was not just a plain Bluetooth function.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know this is an old thread but this was incorrect info and didn’t want to leave it hanging. This old “long press to invoke Siri” function was named “Siri Eyes Free” and was indeed a licensed feature in some cars and was not just a plain Bluetooth function.
If it is a licensed Siri feature, why does it work in a car with plain Bluetooth - no audio over Bluetooth other than phone calls- andno Siri or iphone functionality built in(other than iPod support in the stereo)?
Sponsored