Sponsored

Is There Going to Be a Second Mile Event For R1S?

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Has anyone heard if there will be test drives for the R1S? I am hoping there will be a Second Mile event announced for the R1S s00n, but I have a feeling that the R1S may be delayed since they haven’t been seen testing in the wild.

The most recent R1S pic I could find was at the Rivian employee Christmas party. The look on that reindeer’s face is priceless.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I doubt there will be an R1S only event, they will likely just start to include them in other driving events as they get enough built to support. With R1S production supposedly starting this month, I am hopeful they will start to appear at the events in early 22.

And there have been plenty of videos of them in the wild already.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Looking forward to checking out one when it gets to the Venice hub

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Haha, "Second Mile Event," nice! Let's hope we hear more info this month about the R1S. I'd like to hear how big the battery pack is on the "longer range" R1S and what the range is.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I asked CS this exact question and they gave me the company mantra, "were always looking to expand our first mile events and want to get test drives into the hands of our customers..." blah blah blah.

And no that's not correct, they have been testing R1S for a while now, there are plenty of sightings of them. Search FB, YT or web and you'll find plenty of them.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I don’t want to see an R1S in person. I might end up changing my order if I did.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

CS told me they’re shipping soon and even Adventures are shipping by May. We all should have more answered with the emails on production coming out soon.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
CS told me the first mile demo drives are R1T only. They may have R1S models at future events, but no current plans.

I have an R1T LE reservation with an April - May delivery window. I’m a little concerned I won’t even get to see the R1S before I have to commit to purchasing the R1T. I prefer the R1T at this point, but the R1S may be more practical. The R1S would fit easier in the garage, carry skis inside with the seats down, and have little better range. I just find the R1S ugly, especially compared to other SUVs out there. If I could see the R1S in person at an event, it would go a long way towards deciding between the two.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I have an R1T LE reservation with an April - May delivery window. I’m a little concerned I won’t even get to see the R1S before I have to commit to purchasing the R1T. I prefer the R1T at this point, but the R1S may be more practical. The R1S would fit easier in the garage, carry skis inside with the seats down, and have little better range. I just find the R1S ugly, especially compared to other SUVs out there. If I could see the R1S in person at an event, it would go a long way towards deciding between the two.
Agree 100%. I started with R1S...when the configurator came out went with R1T...had a first mile they brought to our house...and am currently leaning back to R1S. Not as attractive, but...the tonneau is really bugging me...there hasn't even been a hint of a camper shell...there's no opening in the R1T rear window...the tailgate functionality is uninspiring...and the gear tunnel was, well, a tunnel - and I have concerns about the tunnel doors.

When I ordered this 3 years ago we had two active chow chows...that went to one...then none two months ago. So truck would work. But it looks like we're getting another Samoyed at the end of February so...with the bed of the truck not pet friendly (no cooling in the summer for example) I think I'm back to SUV.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I went to the First Mile event today and drove the R1T. It's AWESOME. I originally put a deposit down on the R1S, but configured to the R1T. I am still torn as to which one I will end up with.

The whole " my bike won't fit on the racks over the bed" issue really bums me out. If I am going to need to put my bikes on a hitch rack, I may as well have more interior room. My wife and I realized the other day that it may occasionally be a good idea to have 7 seats and the dog and kids would have more room in the R1S

I originally went R1S because I like the idea of storing camping gear inside the vehicle and not the bed, but Gear Guard and the tonneau cover made me feel a little more comfortable.

I also want to see if I can actually sleep inside the R1S. I also want to see what the storage will be like in the R1S. The gear tunnel and the spare tire room in the bed is really nice, not to mention the bed and the frunk.

I won't be getting my R1T until May-June, so I have some time, but I won't drop $80k without having a good look at the R1S.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Anyone heard of rumors as to where and when the next Rivian "demo drives and event" will be?
The last time Rivian addressed test drive events was early last December. Per their Instagram post, they will be announcing drives in more cities this winter. Winter ends March 20th this year, so they are still on track! I am hoping the reason they haven’t announced additional test drive events yet because they want to incorporate the R1S. It would great to see the R1T and R1S side by side.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
While I would like to see an R1S before plunking down $$ to buy it, I console myself that if I don't like it, I'll be able to turn around and sell it for at least the price I paid for it since I'm an early reservation holder.
Sponsored