Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
euro sized
In Europe the e-tron is seen as a large vehicle, too large my many. In the U.S. probably not. For Iceland a car like the Rivian or F150 would be no problem. There were many Unimogs, modified Sprinter, and even a couple of MAN trucks on these tracks.
But if you want to explore for example the old military tracks of WW1 in the Alps, you need a small car. A Rivian would probably still work, but a Hummer EV could be too large for some sections.

OP
OP
Bobu

Bobu

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’m inspired!

I’m going to drive my R1T to Reykjavik sometime. It’s not so far.
Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports 1644008801776

OP
OP
Bobu

Bobu

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I fear it's not that easy :) , but Canada should also have some really great tracks for your Rivian. And maybe someday there will be a ferry from Halifax to Iceland. Would be great for us too.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I fear it's not that easy :) , but Canada should also have some really great tracks for your Rivian. And maybe someday there will be a ferry from Halifax to Iceland. Would be great for us too.
It’s very easy! Look at my map! ?

Used to be able to fly from Winnipeg to KEF direct for €300 return.. I regret not doing that in 2010 when it was an option. Many many Icelanders here.

OP
OP
Bobu

Bobu

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
This is the final part of my trip report:

https://ev-overlanding.com/2022/02/11/audi-e-tron-in-iceland-6-f232-to-maelifell/

And here is the final episode of my video series:

We drove along the F232 to Maelifell. It was one of the most beautiful tracks in Iceland. After a quick visit of Vestrahorn, our trip finally came to an end and we had to take the ferry back to Denmark.

The Audi e-tron behaved flawlessly during the trip. Last time I was in Iceland I used a modified Nissan Patrol. It's quite fascinating how far you can get with an EV with just some additional planning and the right tires (Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac). I could drive nearly 90% of the tracks I had done in the past with the Patrol. The limiting factor was mainly the wading depth limit of the e-tron for certain tracks.
I think Iceland would be the perfect place for some Rivian adventures: fantastic offroad tracks, spectacular nature, countless of very deep fords to cross, good charging infrastructure along the ring road, and not too long tracks to get range problems (max. about 300-400km).

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_1

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_2

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_3

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_4

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_5

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_6

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_7

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_8

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_9

Rivian R1T R1S Introduction and some EV Overlanding trip reports EP6_10

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

My word, how blessed are you to live in that part of the world! Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobu

Bobu

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
My word, how blessed are you to live in that part of the world! Thanks for sharing.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Just a couple of days ago I was thinking how great it must be to live in North America and be able to easily drive up to Alaska or down to South America along the Pan-American highway. :)

Rlorenzoa

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1 2.0 x drive 2016 + Discovery II 2.5tdi 1999
Occupation
Finance
Boris,

Welcome to the The Forums. I'm intrigued by your story and looking forward to checking out your videos when I'm back home. I'm also hoping to hear more of your perspective of Rivian from a European point of view.

Thanks for providing the links and for jumping into the pool with us!
that’s exactly my fear. Right now I use a discovery from 1999 for my trips and I would like to change it for the rivian R1S. But I don’t see how they will do it to sell it here in Europe. The car is very heavy and very few people will accept the trade off (or be in position to accept it - having the additional license). And for these few I don’t think they will develop a large dealer and maintenance network.

I’m afraid we will need to wait for something smaller.

I wrote to Rivian suggesting they negotiate a waiver to 4 tones for evs, but the only answer I got was that details on European launch will be shared in a near future…

not encouraging

OP
OP
Bobu

Bobu

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
that’s exactly my fear. Right now I use a discovery from 1999 for my trips and I would like to change it for the rivian R1S. But I don’t see how they will do it to sell it here in Europe. The car is very heavy and very few people will accept the trade off (or be in position to accept it - having the additional license). And for these few I don’t think they will develop a large dealer and maintenance network.

I’m afraid we will need to wait for something smaller.

I wrote to Rivian suggesting they negotiate a waiver to 4 tones for evs, but the only answer I got was that details on European launch will be shared in a near future…

not encouraging
I'm sure there will be better and lighter alternatives in the future. But probably not in the next 3-4 years. I'm afraid we have to be patient in Europe.

Rlorenzoa

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1 2.0 x drive 2016 + Discovery II 2.5tdi 1999
Occupation
Finance
I'm sure there will be better and lighter alternatives in the future. But probably not in the next 3-4 years. I'm afraid we have to be patient in Europe.
Yes…

let’s seehow Land Rover deals with the weight in their Range Rover and defender ev versions. I’m afraid the only way we can have big overlanding SUVs in Europe is by placing smaller batteries at the expense of range. That or wait 10 sor solid state batteries

?

OP
OP
Bobu

Bobu

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-overlanding.com
Vehicles
Audi e-tron
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I think if you build a car slightly smaller than the Rivian (size of a Ford Ranger or Landrover Defender), use as much as possible lightweight materials and reduce some not really necessary gimmicks a maximum GVM of 3500kg should be possible even with a large battery pack and sufficient payload. And even with the current battery technology.
Sponsored