Occupation
Retired USN

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Iā€™ll start. I called my local independent State Farm agent. I already have multiple lines of insurance / bundles with this agent and have been covered by them for over a decade. I have never had an accident or made any other kind of claim.

They quoted me entirely based on the MSRP of my Launch Edition and did not have Rivian in their database yet as a vendor. My quote was $710/6 mos.
My State Farm quote based on MSRP ($90,000) was $354/6 mos. I have $1,000 deductibles for comp and collision and discounts for multiple vehicles and for having homeowner's insurance.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Anyone quoting insurance based off MSRP is doing what the accounting/finance world calls a WAG. I get that weā€™re bored while waiting for delivery but itā€™s sorta silly to worry about insurance rates right now. To be fair, I canā€™t believe Tesla insurance is so relatively low since their threshold for being totaled seems about the lowest of any mass produced vehicle.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
My email was the same, except he didn't even give me a quote for the R1T. The only reason State Farm insured my home (fire area) was because I already had a condo insured with them.

On the OEM endorsement- I doubt there will be any aftermarket parts available for Rivian, unless Rivian sells their old stamping machines someday. Might be a good idea for glass though.
I received a similar reply today as well. During our call, he did mention that being in CA might be a challenge. I asked for a quote for two cars, an umbrella, landlord, and renters policy. I'm currently with Geico. He did ask for a follow up call to be scheduled, so I have it scheduled for next week.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Anyone quoting insurance based off MSRP is doing what the accounting/finance world calls a WAG. I get that weā€™re bored while waiting for delivery but itā€™s sorta silly to worry about insurance rates right now. To be fair, I canā€™t believe Tesla insurance is so relatively low since their threshold for being totaled seems about the lowest of any mass produced vehicle.
Agreed on this. That is all that my insurance agent was able to get when seeking quotes. Mine came in at $325/mo for Nationwide, $310/mo Travelers for R1S in Colorado. She was met with confusion at Nationwide when she asked about the specific Rivian program, so this is just a generic quote for insurance, not Rivian insurance.

GTodd

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Corvette, 2019 Toyota Tundra, 2019 Toyota Tacoma, 2002 Ford Thunderbird
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So thanks to someone posting the door jab sticker I grabbed the VIN (7FCTGAAL7NN000086) and went to my insurance to see what it would cost. I currently drive a 2019 Toyota Tundra 4x4 crewmax. The additional cost for me is $49.60 / 6 months. Much better than I expected. Below is the price I got for 6 months coverage from USAA.
Rivian R1T R1S Insurance Cost / Quotes / Premiums Thread Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 7.16.00 AM

Last edited:

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Statefarm doesn't seem to know what vehicle that is yet. Can't get a quote.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Farmers quoted me to replace my 2017 X5 to that VIN would be $17 cheaper for 6 months. $596'ish / 6 months but there's a ton of variables that goes into this total. Regardless, that's great news!

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Statefarm doesn't seem to know what vehicle that is yet. Can't get a quote.
A little ironic given that Statefarm was founded in Bloomington and still has it's headquarters there....

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

A little ironic given that Statefarm was founded in Bloomington and still has it's headquarters there....
Well I am sure if you called SF they would give you a quote based on MSRP, my SF agent gave me one a while back. Any companies rating by VIN don't have any real world information on the R1T yet since there are not any on the roads (for the most part)

The real issue is going to be all the R1Ts crashing into parked cars after driving over a median due to uncontrolled acceleration :CWL:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
$3300/year here, for full comprehensive coverage, $2m in liability. $200 deductible, $0 glass deductible.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I am not intending this thread to be about the Rivian insurance per se. I am hoping that this can start a discussion about what various Insurance companies are quoting for premiums.

Iā€™ll start. I called my local independent State Farm agent. I already have multiple lines of insurance / bundles with this agent and have been covered by them for over a decade. I have never had an accident or made any other kind of claim.

They quoted me entirely based on the MSRP of my Launch Edition and did not have Rivian in their database yet as a vendor. My quote was $710/6 mos.
Yep, I've been with State Farm for roughly 45 years...may switch, though. I've had my Kia Niro EV for 2 years and they still don't have it in their data base. My card identifies it as a hybrid. I have e-mail chains about this and assume that the vehicle will be fixed appropriately if there is an accident, but yeah, this bugs me and I have already begun looking at alternatives. Figure that State Farm will take years to correctly identify the R1T.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Progressive added Rivian to their online quote tool, so I played with it a bit. In my case those are the numbers for 100/300/50 insurance with $500 deductible for comprehensive and collision:

Rivian R1T premium $436 for 6 months
For comparison this is the cost for other cars I have:
JAGUAR I-PACE premium: $377.00
HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ premium: $194.00

So slightly higher, but nothing outrageous in my opinion.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Out of curiosity I looked at my USAA account yesterday and was able to get a quote for both the R1T and R1S. They have it divided up into Launch, Adventure and Explore trim levels. I got a 6-month quote of about $450 (ballpark) for the LE.
Sponsored