F-150

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I just checked USAA again. USAA site locks in the price at $67,500 with no VIN, so your unable to change it. With $300/500k coverage & $1k deductible my quote was $94.71/mo. Once again, everything depends with insurance. I normally use Amica as they’re the best company I’ve ever had. They just won’t quote until you have a VIN.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I just checked USAA again. USAA site locks in the price at $67,500 with no VIN, so your unable to change it. With $300/500k coverage & $1k deductible my quote was $94.71/mo. Once again, everything depends with insurance. I normally use Amica as they’re the best company I’ve ever had. They just won’t quote until you have a VIN.
Due to the VIN filing, someone might just try this fictional/test VIN:

VIN 7FCTGAAL4NN123456

It will properly pull up parameters here, https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I meant 2011. That's the vehicle this Rivian is replacing.
I meant 2011. That's the vehicle this Rivian is replacing.
doesnt the year play a bit of a role in the cost of insurance.? I imagine in general a 10 year old car would cost less to insure than a brand new one.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
doesnt the year play a bit of a role in the cost of insurance.? I imagine in general a 10 year old car would cost less to insure than a brand new one.
Sure. That's why I also compared to a new hybrid F-150 and the Raptor. Those two are considerably less than the Rivian though.

Sponsored

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

USAA only showing an increase of ~$160 every 6 months from my current truck. I have a 2008 AWD Sierra Denali with a 6.2l engine so I’m sure mine is already higher. Not too bad if it holds. Will be interesting to see what Rivian’s insurance rate comes in at. Will have to weigh that vs the discounts for multi policy USAA has. I’m sure I won’t get the R1S I ordered for a few years though.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m sure I won’t get the R1S I ordered for a few years though.
12-18 months is my guess, for a recent preorder.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yes. In some ways the rates didn't drop quickly or as much as people thought they should. That's why Tesla started getting into the insurance game.

I found it promising when Rivian announced they would be in the insurance game, from day one.

Still curious to see what rates people see through Rivian, compared to the traditional options.
Commodore and others here, I won't be offended if most everyone bails now. My lengthy comments aren't new to most of you, but are here to provide insight as to how credit and insurance history impact rates, to the exclusion of one's driving record, and geographic and general demographics impact pricing.

Since every little bit helps, if your credit score may be hurting a little right now, it would be the perfect time to take action to improve it. Start now, before you get closer to both purchasing one of these vehicles, and the insurance for it, your home, and everything else you might need to protect. I've been in the insurance industry my entire life, and I also sit on the Board of Directors for an insurance industry-based Credit Union. I'm simply trying to let anyone interested know how they may help themselves save money in the future.

When you think, "I'm a name, not a number!" (Thank you, Bob Seger), you'd be surprised how important that number is. Long ago, the insurance industry started using credit scores in developing their rates for individuals. Regardless of how you may feel about it, they proved to the various State Insurance Commissioners that creditworthiness is a reliable indicator of future losses, along with the more obvious ones - age, MVR, experience, hair color, etc.

One advantage of the usage of credit scoring is that you can change your credit score, whereas your MVR and CLUE reports aren't malleable. Everyone knows what an MVR is, but many may not have a clue as to their C.L.U.E. report. Most Auto and Home insurance companies share their (your) claims history information via an industry-wide database called the Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (C.L.U.E.). Once a loss is entered by your current carrier (insurance company), it's like that 2 a.m. drunken tweet you posted four years and two and a half months ago. It's still there for all to see, no matter how hard you try to hide it or how many restraining orders you violated trying to get [name deleted] to...um, nevermind... Back to the story....

So your C.L.U.E. report and MVR are like the garbage can you try to throw away. You put the old thing curbside and the garbage truck lifts it, dumps it, and puts it back. You can't get rid of it!. But, while your credit score can be in the garbage, you can spruce it up, empty that garbage, so to speak.

Since this score is critical, I can't tell you how important it is to learn what drives it, and how you can improve it, along with the advantages thereof. It seems that most credit cards now include a monthly update of your FICO score. I don't want to point people to a specific site, but I will point to the Internet as having a ton of of objective dissertations on how credit scores are determined and used, and also how you can change it, over time. I didn't say improve it, because some steps people take in the name of improvement can hurt in the short run. Try to find a site that isn't tied to an ad and also beware of any attempts to seek payment for an instant improvement in your score. We build our histories over time, and it takes time to repair them.

From my Credit Union experience, here's a good starting point:

https://www.mycreditunion.gov/life-events/consumer-loans/credit-reports-scores/credit-score

If you have a credit union, call them or check on any CU website for other links on the topic. This number is a very important reflection of you. If you don't find what you're looking for, please keep looking!

Start today, and improve along the way!

https://www.google.com/search?q=her...ate=ive&vld=cid:bfded813,vid:vbkDa0OZetk,st:0

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
12-18 months is my guess, for a recent preorder.
@skyote, are you serious about recent pre order holders getting their r1 in 12 to 18 months??
I am a 2019 Dec pre order holder and I am not expecting mine until next fall as I haven't opted for LE.?

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
That's cool we have so many USAA members here. I'm really hoping they stay competitive with the insurance prices because I really like them. I have yet to ever make an insurance claim (knock on wood), but I enjoy their customer service when I do have a question and their rates have been very low so far. The question is whether or not they play well with EVs.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@skyote, are you serious about recent pre order holders getting their r1 in 12 to 18 months??
I am a 2019 Dec pre order holder and I am not expecting mine until next fall as I haven't opted for LE.?
Yes, I think they will get to a throughput of 40K/yr quicker than many might think. I'm not sure how many preorders they have, but my guess there is 50-60K, so that's why I think 12-18 months is feasible. I could be wrong, but would literally wager it will be within 24 months.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, and I think you will have yours in 12 months or less. Disclaimer - I'm still just a dude guessing.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Oh, and I think you will have yours in 12 months or less. Disclaimer - I'm still just a dude guessing.
I do not think @skyote is that far off assuming the supply chain issues are resolved.

Keep in Mind RJ was talking about supply chain constraints going into 2023 and that was before this second Covid wave with the D variant started taking off.

jasonmkd

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, Toyota RAV4 Prime
In case it's helpful (and hasn't yet been shared or seen on site), Rivian is planning on offering insurance services for your Rivian, other vehicles, and home. It will be interesting to see if it's enticing enough to switch from the plans and bundles we may already have, but certainly worth discussing when you get that coveted call from your guide.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-rivian-insurance
Sponsored