Illinois EL Plates and Weight Limits.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I called my local Illinois Secretary of States office to inquire about weight limits of the EL license plate in Illinois. After a few calls and some research the gentleman came back with the answers, 8000lb. As the truck weights 7000lb empty the 8K figure is sufficient and the odds of ever being pulled over for a weight violation driving a bare pickup are slim and none. However, In Illinois in recent years some if not all DMV offices have been offering trailer owners the option of ST (Semi Trailer)plates for a low one time fee on most all trailers.. The catch here is the towing vehicle has to be licensed for the total weight of the truck and the trailer. So a R1T pulling a trailer with ST plates would be limited to no more than 1000lb of trailer and cargo weight. Just a word of caution that the ST plates may not be an expectable option with the R1T
Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
I called my local Illinois Secretary of States office to inquire about weight limits of the EL license plate in Illinois. After a few calls and some research the gentleman came back with the answers, 8000lb. As the truck weights 7000lb empty the 8K figure is sufficient and the odds of ever being pulled over for a weight violation driving a bare pickup are slim and none. However, In Illinois in recent years some if not all DMV offices have been offering trailer owners the option of ST (Semi Trailer)plates for a low one time fee on most all trailers.. The catch here is the towing vehicle has to be licensed for the total weight of the truck and the trailer. So a R1T pulling a trailer with ST plates would be limited to no more than 1000lb of trailer and cargo weight. Just a word of caution that the ST plates may not be an expectable option with the R1T
To have a trailer with those plates the Tow vehicle, trailer, and load can not exceed 8,000 pounds.
I got those plates for my little 5x8 open trailer which is only used for bulk mulch or hauling a deer to locker.
Plates for that trailer had been $18. a year than a couple years ago they raised them to $118. a year now they have reduced then back down to $36. a year. I now have the ST plate and it is a one time $19. fee. Won't be very beneficial on a big trailer because of total weight if using the Rivian.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Probably related, many of the interstates have additional speed restrictions on vehicles over 4 tons. Was one of the first things i noticed driving down I55 after they released the vehicle weights.

Wonder what they are doing with the hummer ev.
Sponsored