Illinois peeps. Anybody know what's up with custom EV plates?

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Honda Civic EX - way overdue for upgrade
It's so dumb. They charge us extra for EVs but you can't currently give them more money for customized plates. Anyway, I think I saw there was supposed to be a vote on it but that looked pre-covid.

Advertisement

staples

Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Zero FXS
I was wondering if they're going to force us to get B Truck plates or EV plates. Technically it's a truck, and falls into both categories.

OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Honda Civic EX - way overdue for upgrade
I was wondering if they're going to force us to get B Truck plates or EV plates. Technically it's a truck, and falls into both categories.
It will be EV plates. Can't remember where I confirmed this but I'm confident of this. I was ready to cancel my preorder after reading about how much of a PITA Chicago makes it to own a pickup.

staples

Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Zero FXS
It depends on the ward. Some wards you can't even park a pickup on the street overnight. Luckily I'm in one of the wards that allows overnight street parking. I had a pickup truck for a few years. Every year I had to fill out one form and provide a few photos of the truck to my alderman's office to get my truck sticker. Then the normal city sticker was twice the price. Come to think of it, it's a bit of a pain, but not horrible.

damonator5000

First Name
Damon
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ugh, I wanted vanity Cubs plates so bad for my Model 3, but not an option :(

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicles
Tesla S 90D
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well they recently started charging about 250/year for the EV plates, and you will be stuck with them. I had a casual conversation with a policeman once, and he told me the EV plates makes it easier for them to spot violators who park in EV specific spots or carpool lanes.

Advertisement

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pherdnut Rivian General Topics 5

Advertisement