First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
First let's all agree that a traditional well made cooler packed properly is the ideal solution in regards to both cooler space consumption to cooler interior space, and lack of a heat dissipation problem that electric coolers have; ice melt can be managed by not using loose ice. I concede. But for those looking for the convenience of an electric cooler or freezer, there are some challenges it comes with, including heat dissipation, and I have been toying with options.

I bought the BougeRV 12v 23 quart electric cooler/freezer from Amazon, mainly because of the combination of frunk fit and cost/quality balance. Initially, I placed it in the frunk. My use case most often is grocery shopping when I am not going directly home, and occasional overnight trips where I may also be sleeping in my R1S. The problem with the frunk placement is that it takes up a fair amount of frunk space, and the frunk is sealed, and the heat produced in the unit is filling a pretty small space. So if I want to put some groceries in the frunk cooler and others just in the frunk, I have to make sure anything that needs to stay cold and is not in the cooler goes in the car instead. Annoying but not terrible. Also I suspect being in that small enclosed space with the heat will make the unit work harder; these types of units are known to not have the best insulation, and now it is heating up the space it is in. Also it really limits my frunk space to have it sitting there all the time, and the frunk space is the most convenient space to use regularly.

Today on a whim I was in the R1S spare wheel storage space, and thought the divider piece was actually minimizing my useable space. So I tossed it out. Currently, I keep a blanket, first aid kit, inflation tubing, and magnetic pucks in there, and with the divider out I realized there is a ton of space unused in there. Sure enough, the BougeRV fits perfectly in there, with the top space cover in either position. Also, with the top cover in the up/flat floor position, you now have venting on both sides that will allow heat to dissipate into the vehicle. Also I can still fit everything I used to store in there behind the unit, without blocking the unit's ventilation holes at all. And lastly, frunk space and subfloor access is preserved.

Yes, the added problem is that I am now dissipating heat when the unit is on, into the inside of the car. Not ideal, but not a problem in the winter. In the summer, this can be mitigated with the AC, though on hot sunny days this is probably less than ideal (I'll have to test it out and see). But for my occasional use case, with most camping and road tripping fall through spring, I think this is the best balance between frunk storage, cooler access maintained while out of the way when not needed, and overall vehicle space use and convenience.

Finally, thunderbolt adventure supply will be making an R1S solution that includes a bed platform with hydraulics that allow access to the spare wheel well space, which might make this space even more useable when sleeping in the R1S bed. Yet to be seen, but keeping my eye on it (more for the bed with hydraulics rather than the camp kitchen; I don't want to cook out of the back of the R1S with food smell wafting into the car).

BougeRV 12 Volt Refrigerator 12V Car Fridge 23 Quart Portable Freezer Compressor Cooler 12/24V DC 110~240 Volt AC for Truck Van RV Camper SUV Boat Travel Camping Road Trips Tailgating -7℉~50℉ https://a.co/d/9zg2eNT

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-accessories/g43865056/best-electric-car-coolers/

https://www.thunderboltadventuresupply.com/

Rivian R1T R1S Ideal electric cooler model and placement -- installed in R1S spare wheel storage space PXL_20230910_174354864

Rivian R1T R1S Ideal electric cooler model and placement -- installed in R1S spare wheel storage space PXL_20230910_174401153

Rivian R1T R1S Ideal electric cooler model and placement -- installed in R1S spare wheel storage space PXL_20230910_174656454

Rivian R1T R1S Ideal electric cooler model and placement -- installed in R1S spare wheel storage space PXL_20230910_174707953
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jared2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Very cool! I use a Koolatron plug in fridge which sits in the trunk area, but I love the idea of one that fits in the spare tire well... Mine is 45 qt which is a pretty bare minimum for our family usage... But I really like what you've done here.

I wish they would put a 12v adapter in the frunk again and partner with someone to make a cooler for the front. However, I usually have 2 sets of golf clubs in the frunk...

Bottom line is any cool ways we can utilize the Frunk & Wheel Well to save the rest of the space is AWESOME!!

People are always impressed at how much stuff I have in the R1S and I don't even have much in my trunk!

Enjoy guys! Keep the innovation coming!

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
This seems like a very cool solution! That said, it's still 106 in Austin on and off (though we're moving into a cool snap this week in the 80s, apparently), so I definitely think it will have to be a late Fall - early Spring sort of thing depending on the climate zone.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Okay - Perhaps this is a stupid noobie question: Is there a difference (i.e. advantage) between plugging the cooler into the 12V outlet versus the 120V outlet?

Is one more efficient than the other? Everything I've read tells me that you don't want your 12V system to run the two batteries down, so I'm wondering if the 120V outlet might use the main battery rather than the auxiliary batteries. Thoughts? Better yet...Answers?

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

I have another BougeRV model in the 21 qt size. I played around with it in various locations in my R1S. Considering Rivian won’t sell me a compact spare, I did exactly as you mentioned for a brief period and put the refrigerator in that storage space. I found that, even with the cover in the “flat” position and allowing for a little side venting, it still wasn’t enough. The space got extremely hot, and the refrigerator struggled to get to target temp.

The most optimal space for cooling performance is in the cargo area, but that is the least desirable for me since it eats into storage space for my other stuff. I ran a 12V to the frunk, knowing it would suffer the same as in the spare tire storage space, but figuring I better see for myself. Yep, it struggles there too, so I have just been keeping the refrigerator in the cargo area for now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I have another BougeRV model in the 21 qt size. I played around with it in various locations in my R1S. Considering Rivian won’t sell me a compact spare, I did exactly as you mentioned for a brief period and put the refrigerator in that storage space. I found that, even with the cover in the “flat” position and allowing for a little side venting, it still wasn’t enough. The space got extremely hot, and the refrigerator struggled to get to target temp.

The most optimal space for cooling performance is in the cargo area, but that is the least desirable for me since it eats into storage space for my other stuff. I ran a 12V to the frunk, knowing it would suffer the same as in the spare tire storage space, but figuring I better see for myself. Yep, it struggles there too, so I have just been keeping the refrigerator in the cargo area for now.
Maybe ours have different compressors or some other difference. Mine keeps temp great (even freezing temps) in the frunk in the summer. 🤷🏾‍♂️

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

Maybe ours have different compressors or some other difference. Mine keeps temp great (even freezing temps) in the frunk in the summer. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Mine will get to the target temp, but it just takes much longer in the frunk or in the spare tire storage compartment. I'm also in Mississippi, so my summer may be different than yours. I have found that the refrigerator does better in the frunk on cooler days, so outside temp definitely plays a significant role.

I put it to the test on days where the heat index was about 110 and on other days where it got down to be about 80. On the 100+ days, it wouldn't get to 30 degrees inside the refrigerator over a several hour period. When outside temp was approximately 80, it would get to 30 or lower in the refrigerator, but it took about an hour, compared with 25 to 30 minutes when in the general cargo area. This pretty much tells me that the winter will be a much better time for using the frunk.

For the most part, the added time to get to target temp is fine. I just wonder if the added strain on the compressor will cause failure sooner. Only time will tell.

For reference, the model I have is the CRPRO 21.

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Mine will get to the target temp, but it just takes much longer in the frunk or in the spare tire storage compartment. I'm also in Mississippi, so my summer may be different than yours. I have found that the refrigerator does better in the frunk on cooler days, so outside temp definitely plays a significant role.

I put it to the test on days where the heat index was about 110 and on other days where it got down to be about 80. On the 100+ days, it wouldn't get to 30 degrees inside the refrigerator over a several hour period. When outside temp was approximately 80, it would get to 30 or lower in the refrigerator, but it took about an hour, compared with 25 to 30 minutes when in the general cargo area. This pretty much tells me that the winter will be a much better time for using the frunk.

For the most part, the added time to get to target temp is fine. I just wonder if the added strain on the compressor will cause failure sooner. Only time will tell.

For reference, the model I have is the CRPRO 21.
Our summers up here are much milder, rare days in the 90s, that probably is a lot of the difference.

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

Our summers up here are much milder, rare days in the 90s, that probably is a lot of the difference.
That sounds amazing! Until winter, I guess. Then, I’d be hurting. 😂 I’m pretty soft when it comes to the extreme cold.

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
That sounds amazing! Until winter, I guess. Then, I’d be hurting. 😂 I’m pretty soft when it comes to the extreme cold.
Lol you know it's not that bad. At some point, cold is just cold, doesn't matter if it is 10F or -10F it's just cold.

Sponsored

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

Lol you know it's not that bad. At some point, cold is just cold, doesn't matter if it is 10F or -10F it's just cold.
Haha! Yeah, it’s all miserable to me when it gets into the single digits.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Okay - Perhaps this is a stupid noobie question: Is there a difference (i.e. advantage) between plugging the cooler into the 12V outlet versus the 120V outlet?

Is one more efficient than the other? Everything I've read tells me that you don't want your 12V system to run the two batteries down, so I'm wondering if the 120V outlet might use the main battery rather than the auxiliary batteries. Thoughts? Better yet...Answers?
I have the same question.
I am assuming that 120V will turn off when the vehicle sleeps unless you put it in camp mode?
Does 12V always stay on?
@Tatnai or others have a comment?

Edit: Also what about condensation in that space? Is it not an issue with this type of fridge/freezer?

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I have the same question.
I am assuming that 120V will turn off when the vehicle sleeps unless you put it in camp mode?
Does 12V always stay on?
@Tatnai or others have a comment?

Edit: Also what about condensation in that space? Is it not an issue with this type of fridge/freezer?
Re 12V staying on or not I am not sure. 120v is not on unless you turn them on. 12V is on whenever I plug it in. But I don't know what happens when the vehicle sleeps, as the only way for me to check the cooler is to go to the car. I actually turn on the 120v outlets when I am leaving something in the cooler just to make sure, and I am never running low on battery so I don't mind using the electrons. But I would love to find out that it is not necessary to do that.

Depending on what you put in the cooler and what temp it is set at you might get a little condensation inside the unit. I just leave it open in the back, uncovered, after use until the next time I drive and it evaporates. No issues so far.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Re 12V staying on or not I am not sure. 120v is not on unless you turn them on. 12V is on whenever I plug it in. But I don't know what happens when the vehicle sleeps, as the only way for me to check the cooler is to go to the car. I actually turn on the 120v outlets when I am leaving something in the cooler just to make sure, and I am never running low on battery so I don't mind using the electrons. But I would love to find out that it is not necessary to do that.

Depending on what you put in the cooler and what temp it is set at you might get a little condensation inside the unit. I just leave it open in the back, uncovered, after use until the next time I drive and it evaporates. No issues so far.
I actually went with your suggested setup and have had it for about 10 days now.
- Only used for a Costco run just to test it and have had it on a couple other times checking how fast it cools down and heat.
- Overall I like it. Perfect size for us, fits great and there is room around it to still fit everything we had in the divider compartment that was in there previously.

RE: Whether 12v is always on
- It did not keep the cooler always on.
- When I brought the unit down to 32F outside of the vehicle on 120v then placed it in the vehicle to maintain that temp on the 12v, it never shut off over a few hours.
- However when I started the cool down in the vehicle on the 12v and tried to get it to 0F, it shut off.
- My theory is that voltage dropped enough to trigger the auto shutoff on the cooler. So it's likely "always on" but not enough voltage in certain situations to keep the cooler on.
- I just use 120v now.

Camping next weekend so will have more thoughts on it at that time. It does produce a decent amount of heat and struggles hitting temp when trying to drop it to freezing inside the car with cover on.
I'd suggest doing this outside of the vehicle if you can or making sure the cover in the rear of the R1S is propped up to let the heat escape.
Sponsored