First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The trip I'm mostly concerned with is <400 miles between SF and LA. There's really nothing in the middle i want to be stuck at for a hr. I believe R1S should be ok for 1 stopper at 30mins... i have yet to try this.
Oh yes. That is a fairly boring stretch unless you take the coastal route.
Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Oh yes. That is a fairly boring stretch unless you take the coastal route.
Yes, the true coastal route is a slow grind but beautiful. The 101 is a little bit of a slog, but some places I would stay overnight at. Just can't do that every trip.

Extra note: Tesla just added a brand new NACS-adapter Supercharger in Paso. where's my adapter Rivian!!?? /s

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You plead guilty to making false equivalencies then. That's what generalizations are.
Absolutely not. You don't know the difference?

Are you for real? Rivian owners have to do that out of necessity because of charging port location on their vehicles, and the V3 supercharger cable being too shortā€”since Tesla, in their wisdom, did not design their chargers to accommodate other makes despite having long standing ambitions of providing service beyond their own cars.

They aren't taking up 2 spaces because they are losers with nothing better to do. In fact, in this forum alone, you will find threads and conversations discussing how to be as courteous as possible while doing this and how to avoid it. But you wouldn't know since you're just a tourist passing through, gracing us with your hot takes? instead of an actively participating owner?
You missed the point by about 10 miles. What I"m saying is that there are forum members here WHO DELIGHT in the idea of taking up two supercharger spots just to piss off Tesla owners. Do you not understand that? I read it right here on this very forum and I responded by saying that was a bad attitude. And to be honest, it's can be possible to avoid taking up two spots if you park on the right end of a row, but that's admittedly a rare case. It doesn't change my point, which was completely valid. Maybe you need to read the forum a little more before you start throwing stones.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
A quick test when talking with someone keeps attacking with these excuses is to ask them if they would buy an EV if it was the same as they car they own/love now, was the same price or cheaper, charged as fast as a gas car fuels, and got the same range. If they say "no" then you know the conversation is over :)
If Jeep made my Grand Cherokee in an EV that was the same price as mine (a bit over $50K), charged as fast as mine takes to fill the gas tank and could get 500 miles on the highway before refueling, I'd already have one. Hell, I'd probably have two of them. That's one reason I was interested in Rivian. I saw the R1S as a potential electric Grand Cherokee replacement. But then I realized that it's really not. I think it could be in the future though. Time will tell. The R2 is interesting, but it's still not a replacement for my Jeep. The R1S is still a little closer than the R2.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Maybe the news agencies are secretly pandering to both sides so they don't lose readership šŸ˜
I think they're just paying the lowest bidding bloggers enough to write something that gets clicks. That's about as deep of fact-checked as it gets.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

If Jeep made my Grand Cherokee in an EV that was the same price as mine (a bit over $50K), charged as fast as mine takes to fill the gas tank and could get 500 miles on the highway before refueling, I'd already have one. Hell, I'd probably have two of them. That's one reason I was interested in Rivian. I saw the R1S as a potential electric Grand Cherokee replacement. But then I realized that it's really not. I think it could be in the future though. Time will tell. The R2 is interesting, but it's still not a replacement for my Jeep. The R1S is still a little closer than the R2.
This is interesting and candid. One thing that I find interesting is that cost is important for the purchase price, but not operating cost. Depending on the fuel mileage of your icev itā€™s 75-80% less to operate a bev, which can help tremendously with payments. The closest thing to compete with the R1S would be like a Tahoe, Wagoneer, or Land Rover and they arenā€™t cheap to buy or operate. Personally after much consideration I choose to spend the money on the vehicle instead of the fuel.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Some people are very very incredibly bad at math.

Some of those people frequent EV forums to constantly proclaim how bad they are at math.
And some of them have been "very clear" they probably couldn't buy any vehicle without Car Play. As valid as that requirement might be, why spend so much time and effort on a forum for vehicles that are almost certain never to have it?

Some people really do just need to hear themselves.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
So you really are not in the market for an EV yet. And probably won't be for at least a decade.

Sponsored

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
Guys, there's a lot of people that do the math and it just doesn't add up.
Hmmm....Tesla Model Y $50k minus $12,500 Colorado/Federal tax credits = $37,500
my actual fuel costs first 10,000 miles: $300

That's like buying 85 gallons at $3.50/gal which moves ICE car 2,150 miles at 25 mpg. And skipping two oil changes at 5k mile intervals ($30-50 x 2 DIY).

R1T.....similar percent savings over ICE.

Seems like 2024 is the year of "anti EV" out in force...worse now than prior years.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I love my coal rolling diesel and my EV. I get the benefit of pissing off the tree hugger and the redneck demographics.

Joking aside. EV's aren't for everyone and that's fine. There are more on the road all the time. People are coming around.

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
This is interesting and candid. One thing that I find interesting is that cost is important for the purchase price, but not operating cost. Depending on the fuel mileage of your icev itā€™s 75-80% less to operate a bev, which can help tremendously with payments. The closest thing to compete with the R1S would be like a Tahoe, Wagoneer, or Land Rover and they arenā€™t cheap to buy or operate. Personally after much consideration I choose to spend the money on the vehicle instead of the fuel.
It was 100% the operating cost that made the switch so easy when we had the chance last year (our insurance decided to declare our PHEV a total loss rather than pay to repair which would have been less than half the cost it was for them to buy it from us). We were at a point where we were averaging >$1200/mo on gas between and this gave us the opportunity see if we could dramatically reduce fuel spend per month. Another factor is I was getting tired of doing oil changes on 2 cars and šŸšœ on a frequent schedule. Even at 10k between oil changes for our PHEV it was happening 3 times per year, sometimes 4. One less vehicle to do maintenance on was a big factor.

All in Iā€™m thrilled at 31k miles in 7 months the ONLY maintenance our R1T has needed is a $35 cabin air filter. I guess itā€™ll be coming up on itā€™s next air filter soon (happy Rivian has put them on their website). And driving the R1T more weā€™re spending about $150 to $180 per month more on home electricity, while unfortunately still spending about $220 on gas for our other car and of course not driving it nearly as much.

Weā€™re enjoying a great car, with dramatically lower operating cost that more than offsets the price of admission and will continue to pay dividends the more itā€™s driven.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

The irony of course is that the lowering price of used EVs is turning into a screaming deal quickly. Lower prices will interest a lot of buyers into at least taking a test drive. I already have a list of used EVs in my head when my 13 year olds turn driving age. And they will be relatively cheap with known warranty issues already taken care of for the most part. The oil corp and car dealer war against EVs going on right now will help EVs spread far and wide simply based on price. ā€¦and that isn;t even going into another oil price shock which could come at any time.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I'm a pretty specific use case because of my lifestyle and how I use my Jeep, so if I could find an electric version of my vehicle that has all the capability, has decent range, is the same size or maybe slightly larger, I'd most definitely give it a try. I don't want to give up my air suspension, all the 4wd stuff, towing ability, etc... The R1S checks most of my boxes, but not all of them. It's still the closest full EV out right now. But you're right...price wise, the R1S is more of a Tahoe or Wagoneer competitor. But those vehicles are also quite a bit larger, so it's competing on price in a different size class. I know Rivian is already losing money on the R1 vehicles, but it would be great if they would be priced competitively in the midsize market because that's really where they fit.
Sponsored