djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I understand that....but you also have to realize that people have a choice when it comes to purchasing a vehicle. And since a vehicle purchase is such a big financial decision/commitment, then we have to understand that people will consider their options. Just how many of those people impulsively make that decision in a vacuum? I dont know and either do you. I think it's safe to say that the majority don't and instead will in fact do the math to determine what makes sense for their own use case.
You and I are talking about different circles in the Venn diagram. Your point is valid but it doesn’t disprove mine. “Most” of the “opposition”, especially the kind to ask if China made a Rivian, are not doing math and just following the “news” that they want to consume.
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

EV's are just a hot talking point right now, and frankly the propaganda against them is working on the masses.
Agreed. It's very frustrating. Oil industry (and their lobbyists, and media bedfellows) are scared of losing billions, so are fighting hard with false accusations and bot farms. What type of car some random stranger decides to drive should not be a political discussion, but here we are.

Bad enough all the conflicting headlines, but controversy = clicks = ad revenue, so don't think we'll ever get away from that. 😖

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Agreed. It's very frustrating. Oil industry (and their lobbyists, and media bedfellows) are scared of losing billions, so are fighting hard with false accusations and bot farms. What type of car some random stranger decides to drive should not be a political discussion, but here we are.

Bad enough all the conflicting headlines, but controversy = clicks = ad revenue, so don't think we'll ever get away from that. 😖
And little known fact, oil industry is placing bets on both. It doesn't get much coverage, one has to look for it. Examples:

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
The difference is those of us who find it make sense for us do not go out of our way, be in your face, to tell gassers how wrong they are. We aren't the ones going around keying unattended ICE cars. We don't go around sabotaging gas pumps. You also will not find us taking over gas stations and blocking all pumps out of spite. We mind our business and go about our lives.

False equivalencies... another typical and all too predictable tactic.
So are you suggesting that most ICE owners are doing those things that you mentioned? Or is it just a very small minority instead? Yeah, exactly. There are rotten people that exist, period. Thankfully, they are the minority.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
They have to at least hedge, but you can bet your ass they want EVs to fail.
Of course. Why upturn the trough of easy money if it keeps getting filled and give you political and monetary leverage? But in case they are unsuccessful, when that day comes, they will still be ahead of the game and retain leverage. They are the house. The house always win.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
So are you suggesting that most ICE owners are doing those things that you mentioned? Or is it just a very small minority instead? Yeah, exactly. There are rotten people that exist, period. Thankfully, they are the minority.
I am not saying or implying they are the majority. I'm pointing out you do not see EV owners doing it.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You and I are talking about different circles in the Venn diagram. Your point is valid but it doesn’t disprove mine. “Most” of the “opposition”, especially the kind to ask if China made a Rivian, are not doing math and just following the “news” that they want to consume.
I'm just making a generalization. My point was that people tend to base their decisions upon what specifically makes sense for them. That's not to say that some people don't put more thought into it than others or that some people are just not very knowledgeable. But at the same time, one of the very first things that a new car buyer today has to decide is what kind of powertrain to choose. Gas? Electric? Hybrid? Literally everyone makes that first step as part of his/her purchasing process.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I am not saying or implying they are the majority. I'm pointing out you do not see EV owners doing it.
I don't see ICE people doing it either. That doesn't mean it's not happening.

Take off your rose colored glasses for a moment and you'll see the truth. I remember reading on this forum people who said that they would intentionally make sure they take two spots when they could at Tesla superchargers. Think about that..... Those are forum members who own Rivians.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I'm just making a generalization.
You plead guilty to making false equivalencies then. That's what generalizations are.

that they would intentionally make sure they take two spots when they could at Tesla superchargers. Think about that..... Those are forum members who own Rivians.
Are you for real? Rivian owners have to do that out of necessity because of charging port location on their vehicles, and the V3 supercharger cable being too short—since Tesla, in their wisdom, did not design their chargers to accommodate other makes despite having long standing ambitions of providing service beyond their own cars.

They aren't taking up 2 spaces because they are losers with nothing better to do. In fact, in this forum alone, you will find threads and conversations discussing how to be as courteous as possible while doing this and how to avoid it. But you wouldn't know since you're just a tourist passing through, gracing us with your hot takes? instead of an actively participating owner?

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I did the math and it didn't add up for me. Everyone has his/her own specific use case.
Some people are very very incredibly bad at math.

Some of those people frequent EV forums to constantly proclaim how bad they are at math.

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I've been posting about our trips pulling our camper with the Rivian, and you'd think some of my friends on facebook act like I'm making them come with me on the trips and sit in the car staring at the charger the whole time we are stopped. Trying to find a "gotcha" in my trips that work out as planned.

One thing that seems to particularly upset them is that we try to do all of our food shopping for the trip during the one charging stop we're obligated to do. I point out they either had to make an extra trip before they left, or make an otherwise unnecessary stop just for food.

Fueling up with gas requires someone to be at the vehicle while filling, but charging is just plug in and wait a few seconds to make sure the charger is going to activate.
I cannot begin to tell you how many friends (who are super smart, scientists no less) who still claim that me getting EV was not a good decision. And that road trips should never be done in EV.

Sad part is that my wife is also part of that bandwagon whenever given a chance. But of course I have not budged yet, and did both our recent road trips on the R1S. The charging times - especially if you do 5-600 miles trip - is going to be a factor, I agree. But I keep telling that the stops would be even more on normal ICE vehicles, so in the grand scheme of things, they either equal out or probably adds maybe a few hours in a multi day road trip. Not a big deal.

Of course so far, it has been on deaf ears I feel.
Sponsored