Sponsored

I just got an r1s recently but i am very bummed to find out that there is a refresh with lots of improvements coming

raylepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Random Maker
Clubs

If you search online there's are a couple magsafe charging pads that you can "retrofit" yourself. It involves removing the current charging assembly and unplugging the cable that goes into the center armrest console. Didn't look too difficult and many had YouTube video instructions.
Yeah, the Soonish one looks pretty good. I'd just rather have an OEM drop in replacement if I could get one. It still blows my mind how awful the current stock one is. Surely they knew this was gonna be a pain point for users. Oh well. I'll wait a bit more then maybe do the Soonish one.
Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I am anywhere from 3-6 miles per day. Left it in the garage one day while out of town and hit 8 miles. I keep the fob in a faraday bag for whatever that is worth.
Also, keep in mind that depending on the weather where you are at, the battery cooler or heater might kick on and that is something that we can't control.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

people, chill out about the refresh and do a bit of research. Majority of changes are internal and designed to improve production.

like Tesla, majority of features will be applied via software to current models.

Per RJ: ā€œ80% of the new features will be backwards compatible with current models. The remaining 20% require new hardwareā€.

Per Wassym: New hardware is updated suite of sensors and cameras and non-backwards compatible features are updated Driver+ system and Summon function.

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned (slightly smaller) headlight and fog light units
-redesigned side mirrors
- minimal front grille changes
-smoked light bar option
-piano black lower bumper
-new wheel options
-updated wireless phone charger
-addition of slate and evergreen color options
-removal of forest green interior
Can I get an updated wireless phone charger and I donā€™t care about anything else?

Sponsored

TheRiviAnswer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I hate to break it to you, but every single car model, if the manufacturer is doing it right, will improve and get better and get new features over time.

So I'm not sure what you would expect? Especially for a rapidly iterating nascent EV auto manufacturer.

I'm assuming you got a great lease deal or purchase price. Those deals won't be around once there is a refresh.

Enjoy your new ride and don't look back

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Enjoy the ride and don't look back is the best advice. I've had my R1T for almost a year and 14k miles. it's a great truck and does whatever is asked of it. Monthly software updates are amazing and are always adding new features -- some I'm excited about and some I'm not -- but they do make the truck better overall.

As others have said, anything that's for sure that's coming in the refresh is speculation at best. Rivian is tight-lipped about what's it's doing. I see the update as like the software updates -- some things I'd like, and some things I won't.

For those who don't like the phone charger, check out some of the site sponsors...they've got great options and they are easy to replace. I replaced my stock one with an aftermarket one and it's been great since. It's not the fastest at charging two iPhone Max's but when you're on a road trip for a few hours, it does the job and I always arrive on site with a 100% charge.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
So, Iā€™ve been holding out for the refresh but I think we have developed a consensus view for OP:
- no one knows what will be in the refresh and those expressing certainty either way are bluffing;
- maybe there will be a cool new feature or two;
- but those of us waiting on the refresh risk losing out due to some cost cutting/decontenting;
- OP bought a sweet vehicle and should enjoy it;
- OPā€™s new Rivian will keep improving; and
- every time someone says ā€œrefreshā€ an angel gets its wings and we all flip out.

Isaiah Louis

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bio.link
Vehicles
waiting for R2...
Occupation
Student
people, chill out about the refresh and do a bit of research. Majority of changes are internal and designed to improve production.

like Tesla, majority of features will be applied via software to current models.

Per RJ: ā€œ80% of the new features will be backwards compatible with current models. The remaining 20% require new hardwareā€.

Per Wassym: New hardware is updated suite of sensors and cameras and non-backwards compatible features are updated Driver+ system and Summon function.

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned side mirrors
-smoked light bar option
-new wheel options
The slate and evergreen color options are unconfirmed and unlikely.

and the Forest Edge interior removal is just temporary, it is coming back but during the initial phases of production they will not be making them.

Sponsored

Vustadumas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model Y Performance, Mercedes Sprinter
Occupation
Artist
Happens with any new item. If you wait for an update, youā€™ll never buy the thing. Drive it, be happy šŸ˜

EVsinROC

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP, GL550, M3, Jag XJL SC, R1S & CT on order

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned side mirrors
-smoked light bar option
-new wheel options
Left out biggest possible upgrades...improved cameras (currents ones terrible for $100K vehicle), heat pump (much needed in colder climates) and (maybe) NACS

Lrak1973

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005/6 Toyota Highlander Hybrid; Forest Green R1S
Occupation
Attorney

metagamers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Man, I'd be happy to pay for a wireless phone charger that works. I wonder if (if there really is a new one) it could be retrofitted.
RJ last month confirmed they are fixing the wireless charging pad and that it WILL be offered as a retrofit to all R1T/S vehicles.

Now Iā€™m sure a cost will be invoked so we just have to wait and see but Iā€™m personally waiting to replace mine with the official Rivian solution.

rodbrock

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web/IT
I wouldn't be so bummed. I have the Meridian sound system which is better than the current. Not all "improvements" are improvements.
Sponsored