Sponsored

How to get best charging speed/rate/throughput at home?

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
After my wife got a Tesla MY, we decided to have a nema 14-50 outlet installed for slightly faster charging. Fast forward to me bringing home a fabulous new R1S about 6 months ago, and I'm left wondering why I am only getting 7 Kwh when charging. Shouldn't it be higher?

Here's the setup.... We have her Tesla mobile charging cable plugged into the nema 14-50 outlet. When I want to charge, I put on a Lectron adapter and plug into the R1S.

I realize it's not CCS, so it won't be super fast, but what should I expect? Is there something I could be doing differently to get faster charging at home? (Without getting a Tesla wall charger or something else, not that I'm opposed to that.)
Sponsored

OP
OP

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
Quick google tells me the "Tesla mobile charger" only does 32A. So a little over 7 kW would be about right.
Okay, so if I want faster, it seems I'd need a dedicated/mounted charger.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Or a plug in charger rated for 40A (9.6 kW) charging (if there are any). For max speed you'll want a 60A circuit/breaker, which lets you charge at 48A (11.5kW) with a qualifying hardwired charger (such as the Tesla or Rivian wall charger).

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
Our long range model 3 (2018) gets 44mph from Tesla wall charger and the R1T, using the adapter from same charger gets around 25mph

Edit...just plugged in so no preconditioninf but getting 25-27mph @48amps

Last edited:

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

What’s odd to me is this is charging at the exact same rate your Tesla did - and this result was surprising?

OP
OP

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
What’s odd to me is this is charging at the exact same rate your Tesla did - and this result was surprising?
Ah, you may have assumed I looked at the rate the Tesla was charging at. I didn't.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
After my wife got a Tesla MY, we decided to have a nema 14-50 outlet installed for slightly faster charging. Fast forward to me bringing home a fabulous new R1S about 6 months ago, and I'm left wondering why I am only getting 7 Kwh when charging. Shouldn't it be higher?

Here's the setup.... We have her Tesla mobile charging cable plugged into the nema 14-50 outlet. When I want to charge, I put on a Lectron adapter and plug into the R1S.

I realize it's not CCS, so it won't be super fast, but what should I expect? Is there something I could be doing differently to get faster charging at home? (Without getting a Tesla wall charger or something else, not that I'm opposed to that.)
I have been through a bunch of charging drama in my garage setup so I can help you out. The included charger is max 32 amps so 7KW an hour is correct. I noticed the metal tube the wires ran through to the NEMA 14-50 wall mounted plug were hot. I had an electrician come out and pull the wires. The solar guy had installed 8 gauge wires on a 40 amp breaker. Rivian portable charger recommends 50 amp breaker and 6 gauge wires. So I had the correct wires and breaker put in. That cose a bunch BTW....I still only get 32 amps at ~7KW/hr. That's the max speed of the rivian and Tesla chargers. HOWEVER, Rivian sells a wall mounted charger for about $800. That requires 6 gauge wires and a 60 amp breaker and should take your charging speeds to 48 AMPS and 11.5KW/hr. I was hoping increasing my breaker size and wire size would increase the portable charging speeds, but I did not do enough research and it maxes out at 32 amps. SO someday I will buy the wall charger and a 60 amp breaker....

Last edited:
OP
OP

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
I have been through a bunch of charging drama in my garage setup so I can help you out. The included charger is max 32 amps so 7KW an hour is correct. I noticed the metal tube the wires ran through to the NEMA 14-50 wall mounted plug where hot. I had an electrician come out and pull the wires. The solar guy had installed 8 gauge wires on a 40 amp breaker. Rivian portable charger recommends 50 amp breaker and 6 gauge wires. So I had the correct wires and breaker put in. That cose a bunch BTW....I still only get 32 amps at ~7KW/hr. That's the max speed of the rivian and Tesla chargers. HOWEVER, Rivian sells a wall mounted charger for about ~$800. That requires 6 gauge wires and a 60 amp breaker and should take your charging speeds to 48 AMPS and 11.5KW/hr. I was hoping increasing my breaker size and wire size would increase the portable charging speeds, but I did not do enough research and it maxes out at 32 amps. SO someday I will buy the wall charger and a 60 amp breaker....
Ugh.
Thanks for the detailed information. It looks like the best we can get is about 11.5 Kwh so I'll just keep going with what we have for now.

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Motor Large Pack
Occupation
Composer, IT Service Desk Analyst
Our long range model 3 (2018) gets 44mph from Tesla wall charger and the R1T, using the adapter from same charger gets around 25mph

Edit...just plugged in so no preconditioninf but getting 25-27mph @48amps
"Miles per hour" is not a good, empirical metric for measuring electrical flow and/or capacity, especially for comparing two different vehicles. Since the battery on the Model 3 is smaller than the R1T, but has an EPA-rated range something closer to what the R1T is, it's gonna get more "miles" faster.

Both your Tesla & R1T are charging at approx. 7.2 kilowatts (kW) to fill the battery. The Tesla battery is smaller (approx. 75kWh vs. the R1T at 141kWh [for the large pack]), so it will be charged to full faster than the Rivian.

Sponsored

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
"Miles per hour" is not a good, empirical metric for measuring electrical flow and/or capacity, especially for comparing two different vehicles. Since the battery on the Model 3 is smaller than the R1T, but has an EPA-rated range something closer to what the R1T is, it's gonna get more "miles" faster.

Both your Tesla & R1T are charging at approx. 7.2 kilowatts (kW) to fill the battery. The Tesla battery is smaller (approx. 75kWh vs. the R1T at 141kWh [for the large pack]), so it will be charged to full faster than the Rivian.
Cheers, I'm aware but it' good enough to provide a comparison for the op.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Ugh.
Thanks for the detailed information. It looks like the best we can get is about 11.5 Kwh so I'll just keep going with what we have for now.
right. 11.5kw is the fastest you can get for charging at home but requires a new breaker and hardwired installation and a new charger (most expensive)

9.6kw can be obtained by switching to a different mobile charging cable that goes up 40 amps (less expensive)

7kw with Tesla mobile charging cable (free)

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

If you have the capacity in your breaker panel for 60A and direct wire, then purchase a 48A wall mounted charger and be done with it. We're talking about $80-110K vehicles and to fret over a high current charger and install that gives you 50% increase in charge speed, makes no sense to me.

If you don't have the current capacity available then obviously do what you are doing.
Sponsored