How many ordering Launch Edition ?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I think im going with the LE R1S. I’ve had 2 Teslawith 300-350 mi range and have no qualms with their range. But, charging network will be weaker at launch for sure. Still, I expect it to be improving with every day that passes.
I’m in that same boat. Us Tesla owners are spoiled from a charging standpoint! I’ve had my Model S since 2015 and have never paid a dime to charge, save for some extremely limited charging at home.
Sponsored

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
Have two preorders, his and hers. Initially was going to do a fully-loaded 400+ for his, and a 300+ for hers. However, since the LE had everything I wanted (except for the 400+ range) I'm going with the LE to save on the 20" wheel combo and get mine earlier. The Boss (wife) will get the long range one without as many options. Added bonus is we'll have to take hers for long trips which is good because her car is usually filled with kid junk anyway and I can keep mine cleaner. Also, this way the cars come out about $500 different in price and hers is more expensive so I'm in the clear on that one too. A win for everyone!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have the LE configured. I really want/need the 400+ battery due to no charging options where I live. I'm not sure where I will end up yet.
Keep in mind that RJ has said there will be auxiliary packs in the future. One could be in the spare tire space, a flat pack in the bed, and one patent filed for one that sits in the bed like a toolbox.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
That doesn't mean the initial runs of the vehicles will have connectors for any expansion batteries. You can come up with a "jerry can" system to plug in and charge the main batteries while you're stopped, but I don't expect this generation to be compatible with any sort of "expansion" of the main bank.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I did email Rivian about an AS option for the 20s & would encourage everyone else to do the same. If they hear from enough people, it just might happen. If not, I think it's worth seeing how the ATs work...it's not a very aggressive tread pattern at all, so they might be better than expected.
I just got off a chat session with Curtis about wheels/tires. Looking at TireRack I see no road all-season tires in the 20" size (275/65 20), just all terrain. Several A/S options for the 22" size though. I configured my R1T with the 22" A/S, but would prefer a 20" (or less) road A/S tire. At least I can get a winter wheel/tire package in the 20" size...

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I just got off a chat session with Curtis about wheels/tires. Looking at TireRack I see no road all-season tires in the 20" size (275/65 20), just all terrain. Several A/S options for the 22" size though. I configured my R1T with the 22" A/S, but would prefer a 20" (or less) road A/S tire. At least I can get a winter wheel/tire package in the 20" size...
A 275/60R20 will very closely match the 275/55R21 diameter of the default wheel/tire.
Many options are readily available including the generic (Non Rivian specific) Pirelli Scorpion Verde.
Not sure how the Rivian is set/adjusted for the different OEM tire diameters between the 20s and the 21/22s (speedo/odometer/etc)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
11 All Season options in 275/65 R20:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtered=true&width=275/&ratio=65&diameter=20#0

And there are 3 winter/snow options as well.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Keep in mind that RJ has said there will be auxiliary packs in the future. One could be in the spare tire space, a flat pack in the bed, and one patent filed for one that sits in the bed like a toolbox.
I am hoping that too but an email from Rivian I got was not too hopeful but I think it’s just too early to let all the cats out of the bags... ?

OP
OP

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Have two preorders, his and hers. Initially was going to do a fully-loaded 400+ for his, and a 300+ for hers. However, since the LE had everything I wanted (except for the 400+ range) I'm going with the LE to save on the 20" wheel combo and get mine earlier. The Boss (wife) will get the long range one without as many options. Added bonus is we'll have to take hers for long trips which is good because her car is usually filled with kid junk anyway and I can keep mine cleaner. Also, this way the cars come out about $500 different in price and hers is more expensive so I'm in the clear on that one too. A win for everyone!
Wow 2 Rivians in one garage !! That will be cool to see. Hope they send you an extra poster or something.

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
Wow 2 Rivians in one garage !! That will be cool to see. Hope they send you an extra poster or something.
Yeah, we are lucky and all in on evs. We've been a Tesla family for a long time now, but life circumstances and needs change. I was team Rivian since the reveal and when the better half saw the vehicles in person at Mill Valley, it was pretty much all over. Either share mine or she would want one. I don't want to share...

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Keep in mind that RJ has said there will be auxiliary packs in the future.
After a little reflection (details in another thread) it seems this would be easier to do than I initially thought.
That doesn't mean the initial runs of the vehicles will have connectors for any expansion batteries.
But, alas, I think this is probably going to prove to be the case. OTOH just hanging in there for the 400 mile version seems to be the wiser move.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I’m in that same boat. Us Tesla owners are spoiled from a charging standpoint! I’ve had my Model S since 2015 and have never paid a dime to charge, save for some extremely limited charging at home.
Only fair, I think, to point out that few Tesla owners get free charging any more.
Also worth mentioning is that those of us who do are often so spoiled by being able to charge at home that we become too lazy to go out for the fee juice. Rivian owners will, of course, be able to charge at home.
And also worth mentioning is that charging at home is easier on your battery than fast charging.

The real advantage to Tesla owners with respect to charging is that the Tesla network is much more reliable, at this point in time, than the competing networks and that the stations are more conveniently located for people on road trips by which I mean that they are in the parking lot of a WaWa, CheckRite, Sheetz... just off the freeway or in freeway rest stop areas whereas the EA tend to be in a Walmart parking lot.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I configured a LE R1T. $10k and a 6 month wait for the extended range seemed like a steep price to pay for something that will likely only rarely limit what I want to do and will only make it heavier and slower for off-roading. Most mountain trips I take are under 300 miles RT and there are plenty of charging stations in the Rockies with more on the way. A solar panel tonneau cover could help boost the range a bit too but we shall see when that product comes to market. Regenerative braking should help maintain range in the mountains.
I'm leaning towards the A/T wheel set since it's included at not additional cost for the LE, but need to do more research on them.

I originally really wanted the pull-out kitchen but for $5k couldn't justify it since I already have my own set of everything for backcountry/dispersed camping. For half the current estimated price I would have gone with it for the convenience.

I'm curious to see info about financing, insurance, and warranty options, plus any new options they add to the configurator in the coming months such as roof rack, tow hitch, etc.

I also can't wait to see these vehicles get in the hands of C & D, Automobile etc. for some test drives.

Anyone have any concerns about build quality of the first models to roll off? Unlike Tesla, Rivian seems to not be rushing their first builds and are doing lots of rigorous testing so I suspect the same build quality issues won't be present but who knows with a new car company.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Only fair, I think, to point out that few Tesla owners get free charging any more.
Also worth mentioning is that those of us who do are often so spoiled by being able to charge at home that we become too lazy to go out for the fee juice. Rivian owners will, of course, be able to charge at home.
And also worth mentioning is that charging at home is easier on your battery than fast charging.

The real advantage to Tesla owners with respect to charging is that the Tesla network is much more reliable, at this point in time, than the competing networks and that the stations are more conveniently located for people on road trips by which I mean that they are in the parking lot of a WaWa, CheckRite, Sheetz... just off the freeway or in freeway rest stop areas whereas the EA tend to be in a Walmart parking lot.
Totally agree. My far bigger concern is the lack of non-Tesla L3 charging options in the places I frequently travel - which is primarily commuting in and between UT, WY and MT. WY is currently a major dead zone and I’m pretty confident that I won’t be able to make my normal trip between UT and WY on the 300 mile battery unless something gets built in or around Evanston, WY (where Tesla has had a supercharger for several years). I don’t mind paying to charge for these destination trips. I just need more L3 chargers built.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I ordered the White R1S. If and when dark wheels come available I may order or if not take them to a local powder coat guy to have them coated. I placed a deposit late in the game (Oct 20), so I'm thinking that my vehicle will show up before end of year 21.
Sponsored