Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good evening

I hope this does not sound like a dumb question, but what is the fastest an R1T can charge? I am used to lvl2 and tesla superchargers. So either 20 miles of charge per hour or over 300 miles of range per hour on a supercharger.

I have done a 50KW fast charger twice and I was averaging 110 miles of range per hour but I just found out that I can use a 175KW and am wondering how much faster it will be.

Best

Adam
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
A little less than 220kw.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN

This was before one of the latest software updates. He modified it after the update, but I couldn't find that video or spreadsheet. Peaks increased to the 200-210 kW range.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
but what is the fastest an R1T can charge? I
Acccording to the video from 0 - 100% it's about C/1.5. For less than 70% SoC it's apparently closer to 1.08C = C/.93.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
A little less than 220kw.
That's a power measurement. The question is one of energy.
In particular it is the peak power i.e. the maximum charging rate which isn't sustained throghout the charge cycle. More meaningful rates are given in the post before this one.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

This was before one of the latest software updates. He modified it after the update, but I couldn't find that video or spreadsheet. Peaks increased to the 200-210 kW range.
The spreadsheet for the update is the second tab. 🙂

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In particular it is the peak power i.e. the maximum charging rate which isn't sustained throghout the charge cycle. More meaningful rates are given in the post before this one.
Yeah, I misread the question and thought he asked for peak.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
II don't think you misread it. He probably did want to know just the peak, But the overall charge time is really the more important thing though people seem to overlook that with their "mine is faster than yours" mentality.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I look at it this way…it’s a truck, so heavy and not terribly aerodynamic. As such it’s going to be one of the least efficient EVs out there. You gotta pay the price for that somewhere. From an energy perspective it charges faster than many things on the market at the moment but you can’t really compare ”miles of range added per hour of charge” to much more efficient vehicles. That does give a handle on practical charging practice but isn’t a great way to compare diverse EVs.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
it takes 42 minutes to get a 10%-80% (~220 EPA miles) charge. Not great.
Agreed. I'm really hoping that Rivian improves the behavior here so it holds ~200kw longer more reliably.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
New article on InsideEVs from State of Charge. Tom does a good job of testing the latest on a 350kw charger. Headline data: it takes 42 minutes to get a 10%-80% (~220 EPA miles) charge. Not great.
This corresponds to a rate of 1C. That's pretty good. it seems to be more or less typical of BEV, makes charging on a road trip quite acceptable and certainly makes the math easy.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I look at it this way…it’s a truck, so heavy and not terribly aerodynamic. As such it’s going to be one of the least efficient EVs out there.
I'm sure it is every bit as efficient as most other BEV i.e. motors and inverters well over 90%.

You gotta pay the price for that somewhere.
Well, yes. Consumption is higher than in a lighter vehicle with better ballistic coefficient. And that extra consumption is going to be largely from from drag and rolling resistance.

From an energy perspective it charges faster than many things on the market at the moment but you can’t really compare ”miles of range added per hour of charge” to much more efficient vehicles.
I think you can. It has a charge rate of about the same as my Tesla ModelX i.e. about 1C so each vehicle adds about the same miles per minute of charging (given that they have similar EPA range).

That does give a handle on practical charging practice but isn’t a great way to compare diverse EVs.
It is a good metric for the reason you just gave but in terms of evaluating how well the designers did Wh/mi i clearly much better. Perhps Wh/mi•kg would be better.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Agreed. I'm really hoping that Rivian improves the behavior here so it holds ~200kw longer more reliably.
Folks put way too much emphasis on the peak of the charging curve and on the curve itself. What matters is the average C rate for it is that which determines how long it takes to charge.
Sponsored