Sponsored

How about free MaxPack Upgrades for LEs?!

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
This all reminds me of when Tesla owners whined about Model 3 price cuts so hard that Tesla sent every P3D buyer $5,000 to shut up.

(Yes, I cashed my Tesla check. My high horse is only so high.)
It was only for P3D+ owners and you had a choice of free lifetime supercharging or $5,000. This was because Elon out of the blue decided to include the $5,000 performance plus option at no charge that some of us just paid for. Tesla did the right thing in offering FLS or the $5,000 refund.

The only thing this reminds me of is how the over protective overzealous Tesla fanatics ruined the Tesla Forums to the point of it being shut down by Tesla. We could all act like grownups and respect each other’s opinions.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
Rivian originally stated that MaxPack vehicles would be the first delivered. Although delaying those vehicles might be reasonable not offering them with a Launch Edition option is not.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Gotta say, this is all getting a bit out of hand.

No, you don't deserve a $10,000 option because you made assumptions about timelines. Your hurry does not equal Rivian's crisis.

Rivian promised deliveries starting in June and that they expect to deliver all LEs by the end of the year. Nobody was promised a June 1st delivery or a phone call on a specific week or day. And we know that launching a net-new car company into the world is one of the most harrowing propositions in business.

Some things may slip by weeks (or-gasp!-months) for some people. Some bits of information may not come with the full glossy parts catalog you'd get from Ford. Some ambitious promises may not pan out. It sucks but that's absolutely the game you're playing. Buy a Ford if you want a Ford.

Rivian is ramping up a tough operation and especially for new team members, having the community's support can mean the difference between a great day at work and hating your job. We'll get our toys. Let's be decent to the folks building them.

This all reminds me of when Tesla owners whined about Model 3 price cuts so hard that Tesla sent every P3D buyer $5,000 to shut up. I'd just as soon we as a community not get in the habit of being similarly entitled. I guarantee you nobody at Rivian is fucking around with deadlines or withholding info just for shits and giggles. Stow your pitchforks.

(Yes, I cashed my Tesla check. My high horse is only so high.)
My sentiments exactly.

If it was easy Nicola would do it. Where is young Milton anyway? Look at the hype they generated with BS and the best sitdown promo ever with Heavy D (just the name hahahaha). I wish Rivian would reveal more about the nitty gritty on the vehicles, but crying about not receiving a phone call is a bit ridiculous. I do wish everyone would just temper their expectations, assume that they aren't getting the vehicle Day 1 just because they ordered a Launch Edition, assume they won't get it until the end of the year, and be stoked when it arrives when it does. If you as a customer have made decisions assuming you are getting your vehicle the exact month they begin deliveries, then you can't blame Rivian for that (Cue the "But when I ordered in November 2018, they said Fall 2020") shit happens, they are being quite agile in my opinion as a new company by rolling with the punches and the immense learning curve of building vehicles, and a brand with a sustainable (environmental and economical) future. Would I love more goodies tacked on to my order for free? Heck yeah! but I don't expect nor do I want them to give things away, putting them behind financially as a result.

I loved the blurred out spoiler at the end as well btw ?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Rivian originally stated that MaxPack vehicles would be the first delivered. Although delaying those vehicles might be reasonable not offering them with a Launch Edition option is not.
This did bum me out, but it made sense from a manufacturing standpoint. In the end it was an easy decision as deliveries to Canada weren't even starting until November for LE and January for non LE 400 mile pack.

Edit. You're also right that they should have made an LE max pack option, even if at a later date. Having to pay extra for the things that come with the LE just to get the max pack for the added 10k (14K cdn) wasn't the easiest pill to swallow.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
P.S. I don’t think they “owe” me anything to compensate for the problem. Just fix the fucking problem!
It is completely out of Rivians control to fix issues individual customers may have with impatience and entitlement.

They have communicated timeframes on when and how they plan to release information and how the ordering process and seeing vehicles will proceed., and have not yet missed those deadlines.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Can we get the flashlight early? :like:
or swag would be nice. hopefully they open the store soon

But I think a lot of people have no patience I'm fine with waiting and sure that I will get my LE before Dec as they claimed.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This did bum me out, but it made sense from a manufacturing standpoint. In the end it was an easy decision as deliveries to Canada weren't even starting until November for LE and January for non LE 400 mile pack.
Perfect example of where transparency & communication would have helped.

A lot of people were upset about it, there was no public explanation, AND it was the community that deduced it was likely due to battery constraints & to get more vehicles produced...most were OK with that after rationalizing.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
It is completely out of Rivians control to fix issues individual customers may have with impatience and entitlement.

They have communicated timeframes on when and how they plan to release information and how the ordering process and seeing vehicles will proceed., and have not yet missed those deadlines.
It's unfortunate that those customers who were prepared to purchase the most expensive vehicles and whom Rivian told would receive their vehicles first that they've been moved to the back of the line. But to also tell them that those purchasing less expensive models and receiving the windfall of being moved-up in line will also receive a "free" LE option pack denied to those already harmed is rubbing salt in the wound.

Although I'm also disappointed by the loss of the electrochromic roof, cross bar mounts in the bed, bag clips in the frunk, and a 180 degree, automatic tailgate, I accept that these were never promised, are manufacturing concessions, and will likely be added in future vehicles.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It's unfortunate that those customers who were prepared to purchase the most expensive vehicles and whom Rivian told would receive their vehicles first that they've been moved to the back of the line
I wasn't aware that anyone had been moved to the back of the line.

Anyone that thought any and all configurations would be available out of the gate and that they would be hand built exactly as the customer specified in the exact order that the reservation was entered was delusional from the beginning ad nothing that Rivian (or anyone else) does can change that.

Same goes thru for expecting everything on the concept vehicle to make it to production.

Same goes for the belief that everything was mapped out at the time of the reveal and no changes would be made to production plans.

Bitching about what you were told 2 years ago and then changed over a year ago serves what purpose?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
They indicated that they intended to have the then-180kWh and -135kWh packs available at launch. The forums created the assumption that Rivian would do what Tesla did and offer the biggest pack first. The only thing that was indicated about sequencing at the time is that the 105kWh pack would begin "later." They refined the schedule and split launch up into two steps.

A lot of people are motivated by range, but let's face it, to Rivian, the 135kWh vehicle is the highest performance / flagship configuration. It's not that surprising they chose to base the LE only on that battery.

Launch isn't this discreet point in time where everyone who pre-ordered gets their car in a 1-month span. It was always going to be a 6-month to 1-year+ slow ramp. The now Max-pack is still available within 6 months of the first trucks being delivered. I can at least squint and say that's still during the launch phase and that specific configuration is impacting production order. They haven't actually announced the next phases (e.g., that "Standard" or 105kWh pack) yet.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I will be happy with all the wheel/tire configuration getting a minimum of 300+ miles on the 135KWH pack.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Bitching about what you were told 2 years ago and then changed over a year ago serves what purpose?
It serves to let Rivian know, since they most likely monitor these forums, that a significant proportion of their most ardent early adopters aren’t pleased with their level of communications. Just because you know you’re right, doesn’t mean you’re right @DucRider. Name calling doesn’t help your case.

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
Not really needed. Get a generator if your worried about back up Power. Use your truck to leave if you have to.
Yep, I agreed 100%. Seems ever since Ford announced the V2H, a lot of post are popping up asking Rivian to add this feature. I don’t doubt it is useful for some, depending on where you live but it’s not something I would likely ever use myself. Seems to me that if the V2H is that important to someone, they should buy the Ford instead.
Sponsored