Sponsored

Horn sounds so weak

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Used the horn today. I was laughing because it sounded like a miniature toy car. Is it supposed to sound so weak?
Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

easy enough fix handful of threads specifically about augmenting/replacing - only problem for me is I now sound like a giant Subaru

Rivian R1T R1S Horn sounds so weak IMG_0728

J-Flo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Iā€™d be interested to know how this fantastic piece of vehicular technology ended up with such a puny, pathetic, ludicrous horn. The R1 shows so much thought and brilliant design. I mean, did they actually pay aretention to how the horn sounded? Did they do this intentionally? Itā€˜s disturbing to think that a horn committee may have reviewed this.

I would mind the lame sound so much but itā€™s not loud enough to be audible In traffic. i really shouldnā€™t have to replace the horn. Itā€™s just so dumb to screw up something so basic.

I may be exaggerating this, but I donā€™t think I would have bought my R1S with this horn if it had been sold the traditional way. I would have told the dealer to fix the horn and Iā€™d buy it. I suspect there are others like me out there, so Rivian is going to have to offer a ā€œhorn upgradeā€ option PDQ now that theyā€™ve mostly worked through the backlog.

Last edited:

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Maybe

Hornblasters.com

Train horn

Signal the wife a mile away!

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Iā€™ve always assumed our pathetic horn is trying to be consistent with the Rivian goal of being minimally intrusive to nature. Thatā€™s all fine off-road or camping but doesnā€™t work when battling the realities of a busy and noisy interstate . I bought my replacement airhorn last night. Hope to have it installed by mid next week.

Sponsored

Kdblondie

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Office Manager
Clubs

I found a horn on Hornblasters.com. Does anyone know where I might be able to take my R1S to have it installed? I'm in the Bay Area.

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Sometimes, debris or blockages in the horn mechanism can muffle the sound. Just pop the hood and check for any dirt or obstacles. Faulty wiring might be part of the problem too. You could think about swapping out your horn for a louder one. Loads of aftermarket options out there that can give your car a beefier and more attention-grabbing honk.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Sounds like a dying goose from inside the car. Sounds fine from the outside.

Reactions: VSG

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I agree with Hillbilly. If you roll down the window and listen, it sounds pretty normal. What do you use the horn for anyway? It's to announce your presence. "I'm here." How loud does it actually have to be? Or do you use your horn to punish people for getting in the way?

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I agree with Hillbilly. If you roll down the window and listen, it sounds pretty normal. What do you use the horn for anyway? It's to announce your presence. "I'm here." How loud does it actually have to be? Or do you use your horn to punish people for getting in the way?
If only the idiot backing out of a parking space into me would open his window too maybe he could hear my horn as well. :rolleyes:
Sponsored