SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Looking forward to the update. also have fluttering. thanks!
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So my hood was making a loud scary pop when it opened they fixed that works great. Got out on the freeway and I could see the hood lifting and flexing with the dents in the hood. I pulled over and checked that the hood was latched fully and it was. By the time I was done driving I think there was a brown spot on my ocean coast seat because I was sure the hood was gonna be saying hello to the windshield.
Not sure if the videos really capture how much it was moving and flexing. Service request in.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

The weird thing is I don't know if it was the rose colored glasses I was wearing for the first 6k miles, or if the many miles (4k+) of driving on I-80 at 70-80mph and all the fluttering that eventually stressed the hood enough for the "dent" to appear.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

“All we are is…”

Rivian R1T R1S Hood flutter in the wind 1668142547787

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I didn't pay much attention to the hood while driving, but my friend pointed out the flutter to me from the passenger seat. It sounds like it's a common condition of all Rivians to date. I'm not sure a service request would be of much use.

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I had a loaner (VIN ~11,500) and it had bad flutter like you guys are showing....the gaps were bad on the front end (hood/headlights), so i'm sure air was getting up under the hood. However, my truck VIN (~9100) has absolutely no flutter and tight gaps on the front end.

OP
OP
Underwhirled

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I had a loaner (VIN ~11,500) and it had bad flutter like you guys are showing....the gaps were bad on the front end (hood/headlights), so i'm sure air was getting up under the hood. However, my truck VIN (~9100) has absolutely no flutter and tight gaps on the front end.
That's encouraging. I pick mine up tomorrow. So I'll be able to report if it is behaving differently.

OP
OP
Underwhirled

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
So the final report is that the flutter has been greatly reduced.

It is still present at speeds over 75 mph, but the adjustment of the hood seems to have made it better/ lessor. The deformed appearance around the hood badge at high speeds Is still present.

Everything returns to normal at speeds lower than 65 mph, but I’m not sure that I would have put a product out in the world that did this at all.

I’ll move on from the issue unless it gets worse.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I would consider an aero induced dent in the hood (panel flex) at normal highway speeds to be 100% unacceptable.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I would consider an aero induced dent in the hood (panel flex) at normal highway speeds to be 100% unacceptable.
Agreed… is this normal for trucks let alone 100k trucks like raptors and TRX’s?? I’ve never experienced this on any vehicle. Lexus IS/RX, Land Cruiser, Infiniti QX, Volvo XC60. To be told it’s “normal” by service would be very upsetting.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
To be told it’s “normal” by service would be very upsetting.
Well, some SC's are telling owners "the tok is normal because all the trucks do that" so it seems brain cells may be in short supply at the SC's.

Pre-internet it was easy for OEM's to bury this kind of stuff because there was no mass sharing of knowledge and experience, but with forums dedicated to specific brands and even specific models of vehicles now.. that $hit just doesn't cut it any more and it's frankly unbelievable they still try to get away with it.

It's just downright insulting to your intelligence to have your issues casually dismissed out of hand as being "normal" when it's clearly anything but "normal".

A hood that deforms under any on-road conditions is not "normal" and you shouldn't accept that garbage for even a single second!
Sponsored

Last edited: