First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
That’s the one I’m considering, I was just hoping I could do everything from one app…
I’m sure I’m just missing something, but can’t you do everything from the Rivian app? I never hooked my phone to my Rivian charger but I can set a schedule, get SOC notifications, change charge rate, etc. from the Rivian app. I’m curious as to what I’m missing.
Sponsored

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I also use the Emporia charger and recommend it
And one more recommendation from me. Fantastic J1772 charger for a great price.
| have used it with Chrysler PHEV, Tesla MY and now with Rivian R1T.

And I have the emporia energy monitor system as well. Having one app is great :)

edit: talking about apps, the latest Rivian app allows you to set schedule, etc. The charging section got overhauled and it is functional now.

Reactions: KRG

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

What is everyone using for their home charger? I want to get the rivian wall charger just to stay within the system. Bit from research I feel like basic functions are missing, like schedules (have to set in the car), the ability to remotely disable the charger, view rates from utility company, etc.
We bought a Rav4 Prime alost 3 years ago. It is a plug-in hybrid. We ended up buy a Lectron 32a 14-50 NEMA and had an outlet installed.

It doesn't have the ability to connect to the wiFi or set a time (the model we got, there might be other ones that do). You can set the times on the Rivian app or from within the car.

It has been outside 24/7 - 365 for the last almost 3 years....through the rain, hail, freezing temps, 110+ degrees. It not only charges the RAV4 Prime, it also charges the R1T.

I can't recommend them enough.

LECTRON 32a Charger

Sponsored

bigsky

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
RNS
Owned a Tesla wall charger since my first EV. Purchased the latest version for my new home.
It works perfectly fine with my R1S; I just had to purchase the Tesla-to-CCS adapter.
It is hooked up to the Internet, but I never had had any need to use anything other than plug it in and schedule charging through the Tesla app, or the Rivian app.
Look for local rebates from your state or local utility company, and there is also the Fedeal tax credit worth 30% of the installation cost.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
What is everyone using for their home charger? I want to get the rivian wall charger just to stay within the system. Bit from research I feel like basic functions are missing, like schedules (have to set in the car), the ability to remotely disable the charger, view rates from utility company, etc.
We had a Rivian charger that didn't work very well with our Ioniq 5, but I think it was a problem with the car since we experienced weird issues with other chargers too, and then the ICCU failed and needed to be replaced. Due to an accident involving Ice, all-season tires, and a fairly steep grade... The Rivian charger met an early death 🙃

We replaced it with the Tesla Universal Wall connector, which does both NACS and CCS with a slick built-in adapter. I figured this would be a nice future-proof option. So far, it has worked flawlessly, and adapter integration is very well done—simply push one button for NACS, or another to release the CCS adapter attached to the NACS plug. We will be deploying these chargers moving forward as we grow our employee charging offering from the two we currently have to more as more employees get EVs. This charger will allow us to charge either platform without people having to worry about adapters.

I didn't see any benefit to the Rivian charger, and since it costs more than this tesla one with less functionality, it seems like an easy choice with no clear downside that I'm aware of.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector

ev_fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
We have a Chargepoint home flex that we've used with the Bolt, Model 3 and Rivian. Works as advertised. Occasionally there will be a "Failed to reach the charger" message from the app (and there are no physical buttons so it can be super frustrating) but retrying works.

There's a couple of reasons we went for this vs. others:
1. At the time, we had a Tesla and a non-Tesla EV and we didn't know adapters existed for Tesla->NonTesla charge ports.
2. We needed to hook up to a 60A breaker and therefore something that supported 48A charging.
3. Chargepoint had one of the longest cables.

Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Picking nits here, but Level 2 home chargers don't have "CCS". They have J1772, which is the standard for analog charging for basically everybody but Tesla (and eventually other NACS-based vehicles). "CCS" is Combined Charging System, which is a J1772 port plus 2 DC pins underneath.
My bad, yes it’s j1772

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

This topic gets posted every week. Rivian charger working great for me ~12 months. Only issue was when we first hooked it up, we didn't have a 60A breaker available so hooked it up with a 50A and set the charger DIP switches to 40A. After replacing the 50A breaker with the 60A and setting the charger DIP switches to 48A, it stayed stuck at 40A. Apparently this is common with the Rivian unit. Had to open a ticket and have them push the change to the unit over WiFi. Simply setting the DIP switches didn't do it.

There've been quite a few threads on this, apparently it's some "extreme" interpretation of electrical code. YMMV, otherwise the charger is great but as others have mentioned it doesn't have many of the more advanced features.

bakk0020

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Although they are highly rated, I didn’t want to give my money to Tesla. I read the Rivian one wasn’t as great as others. I went with the ChargePoint home flex (Hardwired). Simple install and so far so good. Great features and connects/communicates with your existing ChargePoint account and app.

Avoid the NEMA plug in versions, if you can. Hardwired is better and safer.

Mellowyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S CompassYellow/DualMotorPerformance/LargePack
Clubs

I also have the Tesla universal wall charger. Works great, tons of functionality that you can conveniently control through the Tesla app. We don't own any Teslas but plenty of our family and friends do. This way our guests can charge too. It charges both NACS and J1772 and I bought it direct from Tesla for $600 plus tax, free shipping.

OP
OP

Airmoses

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I think the Tesla universal is going to be the move to make, it will help future proof my charger at home

moeman2323

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just hooked up a second Tesla charger today. First one was a standard Wall Connector, today I installed the Universal Wall Connector to support my upcoming R1T and to future proof for NACS regardless of vehicle.
Sponsored