HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

it’s interesting that the reader still says open ground even with the bonding plug
Sponsored

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
So you connected the generator frame to ground, but is that frame ground point continuous with the receptacle ground pin?

Do you have any way check the AC frequency the generator is putting out? Some run fast (62+ hz) by design, especially while unloaded.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Here to report the two additional adapters do not work.
At this point I’m out of ideas. I may return this generator and try a different one that others have had success with.

IMG_9414.jpeg

IMG_9413.jpeg
It won’t work with that. You need an EV specific adapter to take the 120v single phase power and make it work using the truck’s 240v two phase 14-50 plug. I have used the following adapters along with a home made bonding plug and it has worked on every generator I’ve plugged into, including those that are not inverter generators with a clean power output.

https://www.amazon.com/3-Prong-Generator-Adapter-Converter-L5-30P/dp/B07RBTPH2F

https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-885378C-Adapter-TT-30P-14-50R/dp/B07MD41D45

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Here to report the two additional adapters do not work.
At this point I’m out of ideas. I may return this generator and try a different one that others have had success with.

IMG_9414.jpeg

IMG_9413.jpeg
Still have an open ground... Assuming the portable charger does not like that...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I see the grounding pole from your generator, if you have some loose wire you might be able to connect the ground wire to any ground around. Maybe wrap it around a long nail and stick it into the ground.
Not necessary, this will do nothing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I ended up returning the generator and got a different one ordered.
I plugged into my dads and it worked first try so assuming that specific generator was just not compatible with the Rivian.

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is the one I’m trying this go around.
Limited-time deal: Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 4500 Peak Watt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator, Remote Electric Start with Auto Choke, Wheel & Handle Kit, RV Ready, Gas Powered, Parallel Capable https://a.co/d/2LKapYC

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is the one I’m trying this go around.
Limited-time deal: Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 4500 Peak Watt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator, Remote Electric Start with Auto Choke, Wheel & Handle Kit, RV Ready, Gas Powered, Parallel Capable https://a.co/d/2LKapYC
Not 240v... Good luck!

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not 240v... Good luck!
Hey I prefer 240v if you have a good recommendation. Right note just trying to get something to work!

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hey I prefer 240v if you have a good recommendation. Right note just trying to get something to work!
How large of a generator are you looking for? The Harbor Freight Predator 9500 is a good 240v generator that works for EV charging and is affordable.

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How large of a generator are you looking for? The Harbor Freight Predator 9500 is a good 240v generator that works for EV charging and is affordable.
Yea I’ve really thought about that one. It’s just roughly 260 pounds. Would like a bit lighter as it will be getting hauled around on adventures.

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
So I just ran another test with my own B&S 5K generator (it needed maintenance anyway), rebuilt / repaired 10 year old clipper Creek built portable L1/L2 EVSE, my Volt and also a '23 model Y.

Key takeaways:
- Generator needs to be up to speed and reasonably warmed up
- Power switch needed to be off or the J1772 need to be unplugged, trying to "hot start" straight to charging stalled the generator
- The voltage was all over the place from the generator, even with it throttled up as high as it would go. Volt didn't care, but the Model Y needed pulled down to below 8 amps to keep the ripple to less than 5 volts. Ugly ugly power coming from that thing.

But it did work. You ever figure yours out?

OP
OP
Hyfly

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So I just ran another test with my own B&S 5K generator (it needed maintenance anyway), rebuilt / repaired 10 year old clipper Creek built portable L1/L2 EVSE, my Volt and also a '23 model Y.

Key takeaways:
- Generator needs to be up to speed and reasonably warmed up
- Power switch needed to be off or the J1772 need to be unplugged, trying to "hot start" straight to charging stalled the generator
- The voltage was all over the place from the generator, even with it throttled up as high as it would go. Volt didn't care, but the Model Y needed pulled down to below 8 amps to keep the ripple to less than 5 volts. Ugly ugly power coming from that thing.

But it did work. You ever figure yours out?
I was able to get a different generator working. Only at ~4 mph though. Was hoping for more.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition