Sponsored

Heads up display

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
You MONSTER

But also, I’m reasonably certain that the HUD (if there is one) will be able to be turned on/off. I’ve had two cars with HUDs so far, and both of them had the option to turn it off entirely. So you should be good
I’m pretty sure, or hopeful, that will be the case as well. I’d rather not go find another outrageously expensive BEV to buy and have to sign up on a forum and chat for a year or two before I ever see it! ;) I’m having enough trouble finding an Xmas gift for my lady. It’s getting down to the wire. Apparently Amazon doesn’t sell live Ponies. That was a setback.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I’m having enough trouble finding an Xmas gift for my lady. It’s getting down to the wire. Apparently Amazon doesn’t sell live Ponies. That was a setback.
My go to is kitchen or cleaning appliances. #husbandoftheyear

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I like the technology of a HUD and if done right can provide you with some good info without looking at the dash. BMW has a nice color HUD. My problem is I always wear polarized sunglasses when I drive so my biggest issue with HUDs is they are so washed out with polarized sunglasses they are borderline useless. Fun feature for me, not a deal breaker.
This. In all vehicles I've driven with HUDs, they were rendered useless by my sunglasses. So while they have a cool factor, and I'd rather have it included, especially for night time driving, I don't think it's a deal breaker. Now, Teslas should have them since they rely solely on the middle tablet.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This. In all vehicles I've driven with HUDs, they were rendered useless by my sunglasses. So while they have a cool factor, and I'd rather have it included, especially for night time driving, I don't think it's a deal breaker. Now, Teslas should have them since they rely solely on the middle tablet.
Great points, I wear sunglasses almost 100% of the time when it's daylight hours...good polarized sunglasses even help in many mist or rain situations; I prefer high contrast lenses vs. really dark ones.

I guess the positive side is that your polarized glasses are doing exactly what they're designed to do.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I have HUD in my BMW X3 and it is really good, customizable to pick what information I want, the height, angles of display etc. Wish my Tesla had it as well. I bought a pair of non-polarized sunglasses and leave them in th BMW for use. Has worked well for me. I thought the HUD would be a distraction (one more screen?!) but realize it is a blessing and don't have to look into the other two screens as often. Eyes on the road !

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I have HUD in my BMW X3 and it is really good, customizable to pick what information I want, the height, angles of display etc. Wish my Tesla had it as well. I bought a pair of non-polarized sunglasses and leave them in th BMW for use. Has worked well for me. I thought the HUD would be a distraction (one more screen?!) but realize it is a blessing and don't have to look into the other two screens as often. Eyes on the road !

Agreed with this sentiment! In my Prius the heads up display is nice to have relevant information like speed and route guidance, and then also dynamic cruise control and lane keep assist queues and I find it really convenient to not have to toggle between another screen for any of that information.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
As someone who has owned a myriad of cars with a heads up display, I cannot imagine why the pioneer electric families continue to ignore offering a heads up display. I currently drive a Tesla M3P and I love the minimalism of the interior. Initially I thought it was distracting to look at the display for speed. Over the last year plus I seldom do that. I think having a heads up display would be a game changer for Rivian. In my opinion, you could eliminate the center screen that's there. Having a heads up display would place all of the pertinent info the driver needs right in front of his/her eyes. I've got to believe it cannot be more costly than having a second display unit???
Does anyone know if Rivian has commented on the possibility?
I had a BMW with that, I absolutely loved it. I will say the windshield cost more as it needs to meet certain criteria that made it close to $900 repair when a rock came almost through the windshield at me. So perhaps indirectly could cost more.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Ha. I knew I should have added “if I can’t turn it off” for clarity. Not dramatic in the least. Just is what it is. If it’s there permanently, I’ll find another vehicle to buy. No biggie. It’s not hyperbolic if I’ll follow through with my claim. To each their own. I also hate cooked carrots. In the trash they go!
Lot’s of room here. Shalom

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We want so much for the LE that we're not getting.
True, but LE is, after all, a mere launch, a start, the guarantee of more. Meanwhile, I hope they sweeten the pie for us with some positive as yet unknown surprises, some standard, some options as promised — to cushion our disappointments, for me the greater range delay.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
the idea of HUD's is it would be a way of eliminating the middle display stack. I'm spoiled driving my M3P. If we are talking about technology and one day the car using mostly autonomous driving then we will need even less displays in the car. Its definitely futuristic and I for one, welcome it.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
VW's HUD on the ID series:

This is a great use case of AR and the HUD. Would be limitless to see what else could be integrated. For instance, it could indicate where the charger/parking spot is located when you navigate to a charger. Bigger picture type of thinking, but you could navigate to a charging spot, and reserve a parking stall ahead of time, and then it tells you which one it reserved for you. Really handy to see the driver aids overlayed the actual road too and not a screen that you would have to change views to.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
VW's HUD on the ID series:

Showing the detected vehicle in adaptive cruise control is worth its weight in gold. My i3s has adaptive cruise control but it's quite untrustworthy except in minimally demanding situations, and there is no feedback that it's seeing the vehicle that is actually in front of it. I've intentionally let it continue when I've used it on the interstate and traffic ahead of me comes to a stop. Most of the time it comes to a stop also. But once, and only once, because I trust it not at all now, it barreled straight ahead and only stopped when I stepped fully on the brakes and (whew) stopped less than a foot behind the vehicle in front of me. Until we can assign multiple nine's of confidence, we need feedback to the driver, and that green line (yellow would be better!) showing which vehicle is the immediate threat would be most excellent.
Sponsored