Sponsored

Has anyone insured successfully with AARP?

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I just tried to add an upcoming R1T to my existing AARP policy and they refused to insure it.
Anyone else had this problem, or done it successfully?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What was their stated reason for refusal?

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I just tried to add an upcoming R1T to my existing AARP policy and they refused to insure it.
Why would you want to insure with AARP?

OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What was their stated reason for refusal?
I don't think the person I was talking to actually knew. She said something like "It could be for different reasons, like the vehicle cost too much, or ..." I can't remember exactly. May try again for more info.
Called back, and they said it was considered an exotic vehicle, and they only insured "some" electric vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Why would you want to insure with AARP?
Because I'm an old fart and it was far less expensive than others I looked at at the time, some years ago. Why wouldn't I want to use AARP (the Hartford)

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don't think the person I was talking to actually knew. She said something like "It could be for different reasons, like the vehicle cost too much, or ..." I can't remember exactly. May try again for more info.
That doesn't sound right. I would definitely try again.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Yes, try again. I would ask them to send you a denial in writing (which is probably a pretty standard thing to do). Good luck!

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Because I'm an old fart and it was far less expensive than others I looked at at the time, some years ago. Why wouldn't I want to use AARP (the Hartford)
Probably because the Hartford was the absolute worst auto insurance company I have ever dealt with in 58 years of driving. I was victim of a smash and grab and they closed the claim after I had a window glass shop replace the right rear window. They tried to back out of repairing the window frame and door damage. It took me three months to get them to finish the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Probably because the Hartford was the absolute worst auto insurance company I have ever dealt with in 58 years of driving. I was victim of a smash and grab and the closed the claim after I had a window glass shop replace the right rear window. They tried to back out of repairing the window frame and door damage. It took me three months to get them to finish the work.
Interesting. I got T-boned (my fault, I looked before pulling out, but the pedastal between the passenger front and back seat was obscuring an on-coming truck; notorious pullout around here) 4 years ago and totaled a 2009? Subaru Outback. Covered 100%, promptly, been re-insured with a new 2019 Forester since. Excellent, prompt service, and they didn't raise rates. Some years before that I hit an elk in a VW Jetta and they totaled that as well. I would claim it wasn't really my fault (they didn't inquire) because I was blinded by bright lights of a vehicle coming at me, but that's not a good excuse. Doing about 50mph. I kept it and repaired it and drove it (with insurance from them) for some years as well.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The denial might be based on the high HP of the Rivian vehicles?

Some insurers have HP limits for coverage...

Sponsored

OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Attempting to add the vehicle on-line, it refuses with:
For The Hartford to maintain competitive prices and to offer quality protection, we've established eligibility requirements. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide coverage for 2023 RIVA R1T ADVENTURE because our program was not designed to insure this type of vehicle.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
I have insured my R1S through AARP/Hartford for the past 8+ months.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Attempting to add the vehicle on-line, it refuses with:
Just call them, had the same problem with their site but agent was able to add it to the policy.

OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just call them, had the same problem with their site but agent was able to add it to the policy.
Interesting. I did call them, and they said they wouldn't insure because the R1T was considered exotic. I wonder if they will do an R1S but not an R1T. I'll call and check.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Yes some will not write policies for a Rivian. You can try Geico and Rivian has their own insurance as well which I believe is underwritten by Nationwide.
Sponsored