Sponsored

Has anyone changed their Launch edition build?

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Has anyone changed their original configuration for Launch edition?
Also, on the website, one of the cautions is that your pricing could change or your place in line could change. I'm wanting to change color from White to Launch Green but am afraid for some reason, I could get charged more or lose my place in line. any thoughts?
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

My advice.... just wait until Rivian contacts you directly for "finalizing" your purchase vehicle. That way nothing you do could harm your L.E. position. If your changes have an impact, then Rivian will explain it and you can make an informed final decision.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Also, on the website, one of the cautions is that your pricing could change or your place in line could change. I'm wanting to change color from White to Launch Green but am afraid for some reason, I could get charged more or lose my place in line. any thoughts?
Direct from Rivian Website:
Feel free to switch your model and update your paint, interior, upgrades, wheels and tires at any time without losing your place in line for delivery. As long as you do not opt for our Adventure or Explore packages, your Launch Edition priority is secure. Please note that any changes to your configuration will not be finalized until “Save Preferences” has been selected.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I did about a month ago - changed my color as well. My preorder number is still the same. I think you are safe, but understand your anxiety about it. Nobody wants to lose their place in line at this point, but I don't see Rivian being shady like that.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did about a month ago - changed my color as well. My preorder number is still the same. I think you are safe, but understand your anxiety about it. Nobody wants to lose their place in line at this point, but I don't see Rivian being shady like that.
I have also added and removed the camp kitchen about 3 times now.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’ve changed the color on my R1T LE twice. First from white to limestone, then to launch green about a week ago.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So do you have it selected or not now?

I went with some friends to a beach in their pickup truck and we cook on a propane grill in the bed of his truck which made me want to get the kitchen.
I think I have it today :). I think it's probably one of those things that I will rarely use but will regret not getting - if that makes any sense.

GTodd

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Corvette, 2019 Toyota Tundra, 2019 Toyota Tacoma, 2002 Ford Thunderbird
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I switched from a LE R1S to a LE R1T. No issues at all. Just do not change from a LE to a non LE product and save.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I have also added and removed the camp kitchen about 3 times now.
So do you have it selected or not now?

I went with some friends to a beach in their pickup truck and we cook on a propane grill in the bed of his truck which made me want to get the kitchen.
I'm hoping people don't configure with the camp kitchen and Rivian will realize it is overpriced and makes it more reasonable.
I want it, but not at $5K. Even if they threw in the fancy cookware (instead of it being extra), that's a hard price to swallow for what you get.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm hoping people don't configure with the camp kitchen and Rivian will realize it is overpriced and makes it more reasonable.
I want it, but not at $5K. Even if they threw in the fancy cookware (instead of it being extra), that's a hard price to swallow for what you get.
Agreed, and it takes up a lot of space, especially if you were just planning on bringing some cast iron skillets and a cutting board for cooking. Id consider it for 1k, but over that is too much coin for me.

This is already a pretty spicy purchase for me.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
My advice.... just wait until Rivian contacts you directly for "finalizing" your purchase vehicle. That way nothing you do could harm your L.E. position. If your changes have an impact, then Rivian will explain it and you can make an informed final decision.
Sound advice. I may change my Interior color, wheel selection, and add crossbars But I'm waiting to make any changes until I'm "locked in". Hell depending on final details and delivery dates I may even cancel and get an Ioniq 5 this fall and wait another year or two to get a Ford BEV F-150, Cyber Truck or updated R1.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

@Trandall - truth be told, I have same mindset as your last point.

Rivian truck is hugely appealing, and being one of the first people to get them in 2021 is its own thrill. But in back of my mind, I contemplate what risks may lurk in a brand-new vehicle from an infant automaker. Rivian has far exceeded most in doing lengthy, methodical product R&D, field testing. Yet that still cannot reveal the nuances of a higher-volume production line. Giving Rivian a couple years to shake things out, go public, earn the badge of a top-quality builder and establish real-world credibility does cross my mind.

For (late) 2021 or early 2022 there are many more BEV's coming to market - albeit few true adventure vehicles. Even those are coming from upstarts or Ford/GM - all of whom have some first-gen build uncertainties.

Wide-ranging options now or near-term in $40-80K territory, including some PHEVs and not necessarily all truck/SUV include:
  • Audi e-tron (base)
  • Toyota RAV4-Prime
  • Volvo Polestar-2
  • Hyundai Ioniq-5
  • Porsche Cayenne-Hybrid (yes, base without a SINGLE OPTION)
  • Porsche Macan-E (sometime in 2022)
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Tesla's CT
Sponsored

Last edited: