OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Max Pack 21' Road Wheels
@ne0phyte , how exactly is the L shaped door frame piece oriented? On both the door side and body side? Seems like I can squeeze it in a few ways but I keep thinking the L part must mean something here…
i just oriented it in a way to make it wedged in and snug. i used the L shape seal because that's what hamdan's post used and it worked pretty well. you can definitely experiment and try other seals too
Sponsored

OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think there's much more tucking it can go. .25" seems a little big since when the window closes, it'll squeeze it back up a bit. Squeezes back up on the passenger side more than driver side.

I'll see how much this helps on a long drive this weekend. I still need to do the door frame. How do I orient the L shape?
yeah if its inside the seal and being squeezed out, your seal is tighter than mine.

up to you how much you want to go down down this rabbit hole, but someone posted a link to a different brand of round rubber seal, and they make smaller sizes (7mm, 6mm etc)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
just to be clear when I say tucked in the existing seal, I mean like this
Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! IMG_4259

Calypso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Great post - thanks.

My R1T was pretty quiet on the driver’s side but depending on the wind, the passenger side ranged from quiet to sounding like the window was open a crack. I ordered both sets of weather stripping. The L arrived this week and I got it put in. Major benefit just from that. I’ll add the cord when it gets here next week.

Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
i tried it, but it made no difference for me. i think that fix is for people with a defective seal around the A pillar. if all your wind noise is coming from that front triangle window area, Rivian can fix that by replacing it with a new seal
I've complained about 4-5 times at different services visits. Even specifically asked for the seal to be replaced and they have refused citing there is no issue..

I'm hoping the new updated 2025 models have fixed these wind issues.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

After 1300 miles last week, I'm really over this wind noise. It only comes from the driver's side, I could hear it sitting in the passenger seat, and it's really bad with cross-wind. So I'm back to tackling it.

Do you find the doors harder to shut now because of the tighter seal or the air pressure is harder to equalize?
I did the door seals, both the door and the body, previously and had this issue. I removed the body gasket and left the door, it went back to normal closing difficulty. But that didn't solve my wind noise...

just to be clear when I say tucked in the existing seal, I mean like this
IMG_4259.jpeg
When I did both layers, I had the same difficulty with the window going up, so I removed the top one and it closes fine. My trim-lok on the sides shift around if the window makes contact with it, even tucking it in real good using proper trim tools. I jammed some more pieces around little openings here and there. But what I found was the worst was this ...

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! 1000010843

The rubber seal on the door is getting jammed. I tested the window after only one line of trim-lok and noticed it, so I pulled it out, and it still jammed with nothing in there... So I'm wondering if I had this issue beforehand and that's been my noise source. Either way, I had to use my trim tool to keep it from jamming the seal.

I've got it in the inner seal around the top and both sides, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if it works 🤞🏼

OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After 1300 miles last week, I'm really over this wind noise. It only comes from the driver's side, I could hear it sitting in the passenger seat, and it's really bad with cross-wind. So I'm back to tackling it.

I did the door seals, both the door and the body, previously and had this issue. I removed the body gasket and left the door, it went back to normal closing difficulty. But that didn't solve my wind noise...

When I did both layers, I had the same difficulty with the window going up, so I removed the top one and it closes fine. My trim-lok on the sides shift around if the window makes contact with it, even tucking it in real good using proper trim tools. I jammed some more pieces around little openings here and there. But what I found was the worst was this ...

1000010843.png

The rubber seal on the door is getting jammed. I tested the window after only one line of trim-lok and noticed it, so I pulled it out, and it still jammed with nothing in there... So I'm wondering if I had this issue beforehand and that's been my noise source. Either way, I had to use my trim tool to keep it from jamming the seal.

I've got it in the inner seal around the top and both sides, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if it works 🤞🏼
the nice thing about my fix is that it's easily removable. if you remove the trim lok round seal and your window seal still doesn't close right, that's probably the source of your wind noise.

also, other posters' windows seem to have different tolerances than mine, so you could also experiment and buy smaller seals if the 0.25 inch trimlok is too big.

on amazon, there's a brand called uxcell that makes seals in 5mm, 6mm, 7mm etc:

https://a.co/d/8pu2ZiH

good luck with your own experimentation!

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Cross-post: I think I finally solved my noise!

I shoved a piece in here:
1000010896.png

Then on the inside liner here (you can see the top of it):
1000010895.png

And along the inner window gasket here:
1000010894.png

Sponsored

ycking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mach-E AWD Premium, 23 Rivian R1S
I did the door frame seal on door and inside frame. As well the outer door with rubber cord. Inside the window seal I only did the inside. When I did the outer window cord window kept pushing it out every time i rolled it up. I haven't gotten the results I wanted, I feel like my wind noise is coming from top. I had service done for this back in December and they replaced the piece between the windshield and glass roof. It helped speeds below 60 mph but still there from 65-70 mph+. I also put Weather Stripping Trim T Shape along the top of the roof shown as in the image I attached. This may have helped like 10%.

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! aca130f4-a9f2-428e-a36b-9336743a00ef-cover

OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did the door frame seal on door and inside frame. As well the outer door with rubber cord. Inside the window seal I only did the inside. When I did the outer window cord window kept pushing it out every time i rolled it up. I haven't gotten the results I wanted, I feel like my wind noise is coming from top. I had service done for this back in December and they replaced the piece between the windshield and glass roof. It helped speeds below 60 mph but still there from 65-70 mph+. I also put Weather Stripping Trim T Shape along the top of the roof shown as in the image I attached. This may have helped like 10%.

aca130f4-a9f2-428e-a36b-9336743a00ef-cover.png
if you're having wind noise coming from above, it actually may be generated by the crevices of the windshield.

try putting some round rubber seal along the vertical sides of the windshield (blue in my picture). I used uxcell 8mm (0.31inch) to wedge in the gap

you can also try putting a flat weatherseal or a t-shape across the top of the windshield where it meets the chrome fascia (red).

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! IMG_4394

OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for this awesome write up. Much appreciated. Two clarifying questions:

1) You mentioned in your post that you needed to use minimal adhesive. Does that mean we need to also purchase and use adhesive to do this job? If so, what adhesive do you recommend?

2) Probably a dumb question, but just to clarify, you did this fix on all four doors, not just the fronts?

Thanks again for the great post.
Would like to know this as well.thanks in advance, OP
so i cant help but to keep tinkering with the wind noise and I added the door seals to the rears as well. it made the car even quieter (maybe 10-15%).

i think the biggest gains come from the front doors, but if you don't mind spending a little more and really getting the cabin quiet, I would recommend doing the rear doors as well!

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
if you're having wind noise coming from above, it actually may be generated by the crevices of the windshield.

try putting some round rubber seal along the vertical sides of the windshield (blue in my picture). I used uxcell 8mm (0.31inch) to wedge in the gap

you can also try putting a flat weatherseal or a t-shape across the top of the windshield where it meets the chrome fascia (red).

IMG_4394.jpeg
Can you please share pics of your red areas and size used? I think I’m hearing wind in these areas. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ne0phyte

ne0phyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you please share pics of your red areas and size used? I think I’m hearing wind in these areas. Thank you.
As always, save some money by first putting some painters tape over the areas and see if that improves the windnoise.

If it does, the item you want to get is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYSNVCFS
one item is enough.

it is a "T" shaped strip and is a 2 pack with a 14mm size and 19mm size
The 19mm size can be used to bridge the gap at the top of the windshield (see picture)

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! windshield stri

The 14mm size can be used to bridge the gap on the top of the roof (where the applique meets the moonroof glass), or you can use the 0.25inch trimlok round seal to wedge it in

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! roof insert

For me, those areas didn't make a difference, which is why you don't see it in the pictures.

What did help me a little more is the vertical strips of the windshield. I used 8mm (0.31inch) uxcell round seal (https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Rubber-Weather-Diameter-Meters/dp/B07ZNH29FH)
along ther vertical strips and tucked them in at the bottom and up at the top. for me, that made the car very silent. My wife says the Rivian is now quieter than the BMW!

Again, you may have to experiment with the sizes, as other posters on this thread have reported my sizes are too big or too small - which shows that Rivian hasn't gotten to the level of consistency that other legacy manfacturers have reached.

Good luck!

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! windshield vertical 1

Rivian R1T R1S Guide: R1S / R1T Wind Noise FIX! windshield vertical 2 detail
Sponsored