Guide gave me an official R1S delay

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Similar to other posts, this came from my guide this morning….

For the R1S, the information I have is that we will begin deliveries the end of this month with the focus on production and delivery ramp into June and July. Of course, depending on your preorder date and configuration will determine when yours will be ready to start production. Pretty soon, R1S customers will get a new estimated delivery window.
Great to have an update. Did they reach out to you, or did you inquire?

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Great to have an update. Did they reach out to you, or did you inquire?
I inquired last week and got the response today. Imagine they are super busy with the R1T push before earnings.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
So.. spoke with my neighbor who is an employee of Rivian and based out of Irvine. He just spent the last few weeks out at Normal, because they are extremely short staffed and especially short of technically skilled labor on the assembly lines. That just makes things take longer. He said he was there to mainly retrofit a change on the Amazon vans, but he did see both the R1Ts and R1S's going down the assembly line. He showed me a couple pictures of completed granite R1S's and one in Red Canyon. When I asked about what the hold up was on the R1S's, he thinks (educated guess since he is involved in testing) it is because they are still doing crash testing in Temecula CA. Rivian has to rent facilities for testing and has to wait in line, along with other manufactures that test at the same facility. The GA plant will have it's own crash testing facility. Another thing is the water depth testing. Rivian made bold claims of 1 meter of depth that the vehicles can wade through. The R1T passed, but the testing on the R1S has not finished that stage of testing. He initially had an order in for a LE R1S, but switched to the R1T when the Max pack was pushed back.

So... not info we didn't already know, but at least things are still moving forward.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
April/May

guide: “I can share that R1S deliveries are scheduled to happen early June!”
I got similar answer from my guide as well.
"Also, I wanted to let you know that R1S deliveries will begin delivery end of May with a full ramp up in June and July. "

Seems like my April/May estimate will be pushed back to at least July. And if they start with employees only then it will be even further down.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

"Also, I wanted to let you know that R1S deliveries will begin delivery end of May with a full ramp up in June and July. "

Seems like my April/May estimate will be pushed back to at least July. And if they start with employees only then it will be even further down.
Moving forward....we'll meet here in late July for the late September/early August delay

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
When I asked about what the hold up was on the R1S's, he thinks (educated guess since he is involved in testing) it is because they are still doing crash testing in Temecula CA. Rivian has to rent facilities for testing and has to wait in line, along with other manufactures that test at the same facility. The GA plant will have it's own crash testing facility. Another thing is the water depth testing. Rivian made bold claims of 1 meter of depth that the vehicles can wade through. The R1T passed, but the testing on the R1S has not finished that stage of testing.
So in other words they haven't finished designing the R1S. You aren't done designing until you have finished testing, because if you fail the test you will have to revise the design.

Really makes you wonder how they were able to deliver the first "production" R1S last year if they still haven't finished designing it.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
I wonder if the Admin can retitle all the delivery threads with the new dates... :)

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
So in other words they haven't finished designing the R1S. You aren't done designing until you have finished testing, because if you fail the test you will have to revise the design.

Really makes you wonder how they were able to deliver the first "production" R1S last year if they still haven't finished designing it.
As far as the crash testing, I'm pretty sure that they aren't the first company to sell a vehicle without the tests complete. I have a faint memory of one our Ford Flex's or F150's that didn't have crash testing scores at the time we took delivery of the vehicle. After doing a little google-foo, I realized that a lot of cars are sold without ever being tested or without intention of being tested because of the low volume of sales of that particular model. At least from my neighbor, the Rivians do very well when crash tested.

As far as the 1 meter of water testing. For 99% of the buyers, that will never become something that is used (in my opinion). Not to mention, most river crossings, puddles, etc.. do not have a depth ruler visible, so you are kinda just taking a leap of faith. If you go 1 meter +1 inch, does it void the warranty? Personally, I'm content knowing that it can, but may never see if it will. But, like you, if you put it out there, then it better do what you said it would.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover

This doesn't make sense. Deliveries started last October.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

As far as the crash testing, I'm pretty sure that they aren't the first company to sell a vehicle without the tests complete. I have a faint memory of one our Ford Flex's or F150's that didn't have crash testing scores at the time we took delivery of the vehicle. After doing a little google-foo, I realized that a lot of cars are sold without ever being tested or without intention of being tested because of the low volume of sales of that particular model. At least from my neighbor, the Rivians do very well when crash tested.

As far as the 1 meter of water testing. For 99% of the buyers, that will never become something that is used (in my opinion). Not to mention, most river crossings, puddles, etc.. do not have a depth ruler visible, so you are kinda just taking a leap of faith. If you go 1 meter +1 inch, does it void the warranty? Personally, I'm content knowing that it can, but may never see if it will. But, like you, if you put it out there, then it better do what you said it would.
if this is true, its another disappointing development that design isn't finished. so if it fails the water test are they going to halt production for design fixes? or will they update the capability to make it less capable than the R1T? either way, not great. yes, most of us will never use that feature but they've advertised it that way and were paying for those whether we use it or not.

but mostly just surprised at the fact its not finalized yet.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
This doesn't make sense. Deliveries started last October.
Non-employee deliveries sure didn't, even though Rivian was... not entirely forthcoming about that.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
That's moving the goalposts. They claimed that the vehicle - including this feature - had been produced as of December 2021. If they didn't have that feature working as of December, then the claim was false.

Doesn't matter if nobody will ever use it, Rivian claimed the vehicle was production-ready back then, and didn't disclaim wading depth or any other feature. If they still hadn't figured it out back then, the claim was untrue.

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
The new RRS is sharp but at $105k it really underscores what a great deal the Rivian pre-March 1 pricing is. Land Rover also said the fully electric RRS is coming in 2024. That may save with no engine but will need more batteries so I doubt it will be any less than $95k.

I want Rivian to work but the collapse of the stock and continued delays make me nervous.
Sponsored