Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Is there an xpel film that goes on the outside to protect it?
XPEL doesn't make a windshield protection film - they only make PPF and window tint.

If you want a decent windshield protection film, look at the following:
  • ExoShield
  • STEK DYNOflex
  • Madico ClearPlex
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

From my experience because I’m paying for the extra glass policy it has never affected my overall rate. In fact I think it says I could get 2 windshields per year if I remember correctly.
How do you get the extra glass policy added? Couldn't find anything online or in the app.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
How do you get the extra glass policy added? Couldn't find anything online or in the app.
This is the page explaining the policy. I have not gone back and checked it to see if any terms have changed in the last 2-3 years but I think it’s the easiest way to get windshields replaced if you go through them like we do here in CO. They really don’t ask questions. If you contact them and say your windshield is cracked they say ok…

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/windshield-repair-claims

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Not all insurance companies offer glass replacement policy. If there is no dedicated add-on for it, your comprehensive deductible covers glass replacement.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

XPEL doesn't make a windshield protection film - they only make PPF and window tint.

If you want a decent windshield protection film, look at the following:
  • ExoShield
  • STEK DYNOflex
  • Madico ClearPlex
Anyone tried these? Recommend them?

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Anyone tried these? Recommend them?
They’re all decent. I’ve had the latter two. Products are only as good as the installer. You need to find a very skilled installer who can maintain clarity. It’s very easy to install and jeopardize clarity through the windshield.

JMAG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Quad Limestone/OC; R1S LE/Launch Green/OC
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

I just had my windshield done in STEK DYNOflex by a company in North Phoenix, AZ called Detail PHX. A friend suggested I go to them. I initially wasn't going to make the drive from Tempe, but decided to take their advice. And, BOY, am I glad I did. Their work is phenomenal. They warned me there would be a little distortion from the DYNOflex since it is 8 mil thick, but I can hardly notice it--and that is even just having it done today. If you are considering doing the Windshield protection and are in the Phoenix area, do yourself a favor and call DETAILPHX. You will be so glad you did.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t bother to replace a windshield until the cracks obscure vision. I’ll drive for years with cracks as long as they don’t impair vision or create a leak.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Is it UV or option for slight tint? Let us know how it is after a week or so and driving at night please.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t bother to replace a windshield until the cracks obscure vision. I’ll drive for years with cracks as long as they don’t impair vision or create a leak.
Some of us have annual state safety inspections we need to pass.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I will usually let it go for awhile if it’s not in my vision, but I have the extra glass coverage with my insurance so a new one only costs me $100. It’s worth it to swap it out once a year or every other. Around here they get pitted from all the sand left after winter.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Some of us have annual state safety inspections we need to pass.
You can have a crack in the windshield in PA as long as it isn't the acute area.
  • Any cracks or chips must not be directly in driver’s vision
Pennsylvania vehicle laws (§ 175.2) also define acute area of the windshield as the center of the critical area on the driver’s side of the vehicle directly in the driver’s normal line of vision—8 1/2 inches wide and 5 1/2 inches high. Cracks within this area can be considered illegal.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

You can have a crack in the windshield in PA as long as it isn't the acute area.
  • Any cracks or chips must not be directly in driver’s vision
Pennsylvania vehicle laws (§ 175.2) also define acute area of the windshield as the center of the critical area on the driver’s side of the vehicle directly in the driver’s normal line of vision—8 1/2 inches wide and 5 1/2 inches high. Cracks within this area can be considered illegal.
While that may be true finding a mechanic that will still give a new inspection sticker on a broken windshield may be a problem.

JMAG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Quad Limestone/OC; R1S LE/Launch Green/OC
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Is it UV or option for slight tint? Let us know how it is after a week or so and driving at night please.
According to the STEK website, DYNOflex offers 99% UV rejection which is a definite plus here in Arizona. The team at DetailPHX told me that , while there will always be a little distortion, the film will get better as it cures over the first two weeks, I'll report back and see if I can capture some photos of anything I see. Stayed tune.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

When I was setting up my Rivian insurance policy, the agent explained windshield claims like this: a comprehensive claim (like a windshield) probably won’t affect your rate with your current insurer. But he explained the catch is that it will affect your “claims experience”, which other insurance companies have access to while you’re shopping around. So a lot of free-to-you $70 windshield repair claims showing up could cause a prospective insurer to offer you a higher rate as a result. Would be the same with windshield replacements, I imagine. Maybe someone in the biz can confirm/deny.
Sponsored