First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Shocking to only get 1.76 seattle to Boise. Threw off all my trip pre planning.
freezing rain over snoqualmie pass probably contributed for part of that but all melted by the time we reached the blue mountains
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

freezing rain over snoqualmie pass probably contributed for part of that but all melted by the time we reached the blue mountains
What's your tire pressure?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
FOLLOW UP- RETURN BOISE TO SEATTLE
We got 2.00 on return trip. Did have freezing fog around Pendleton with some build up and heavy snow/rain over snoqualmie with some slush on the road. I chalk up the worse efficiency on the Seattle-to Boise leg to headwind.
QUESTION- Using the Rvian navigation is there an easy way to skip a charging spot if you know you can make the next one without restarting the nav to your next charging spot? Nav wanted us to stop in Yakima. I knew we had enough buffer to make it to Ellensburg
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers Seattle Boise.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers Boise Seattle.JPEG
...and we did with over a 50 mile buffer.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just drove back to Austin yesterday from NE TX. Averaged about 2.4mi/kw on way up the other day and 1.8 on way down today, both with rainy weather and driving around speed limit (sometimes below to conserve on way down).

Seems that a moderate tail wind or head wind makes quite the difference.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My R1T with 21’s consistently gets 1.8 m/kWH but I do mostly city driving, very little highway, so I didn’t think much about it until I had a early vin loaner from El Segundo this week on 20’s and, when resetting the trip and driving as I normally do I got 2.6 over a four day period. WTF?

The loaner has 7900 miles or so with a total efficiency of 2.4, whereas I have only 1400 miles and mine is still 1.8. Any ideas?

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
All I am getting I believe HORRIBLE efficiency.

We have an R1S and all driving is in town minus 10 miles on freeway 70mph.

Stock 20”s wheel tire combo

Temps are high 30’s to low 40’s

Heat at 72 fan at speed 1 rarely use seat and steering wheel Hester.

We are getting between 1.15-1.60 m/kWh

I feel something is up. Even says our average speed is like 15 mph

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Coldsoaked battery and short drives = bad efficiency. Try home charging for an hour prior to departure + cabin climate

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Bump. I have had my truck throughly looked at by El Segundo by their lead tech and everyone says everything is operating normally. I even bumped my regen to high to try to capture more energy back but I’m still barely at 2.14 daily. I had a 22in loaner for a while and got better efficiency so the idea that my 21’s are worse than the 22’s is insane to me.

A big thing I wish they checked but know they didn’t— because calling to add details never works well in their phone tree system— is the throttle feels so much looser on my truck than the loaner I had (vin was nearly the same). When I put my truck in sport mode I don’t feel any difference in the throttle and acceleration. Maybe this is an issue where the throttle draws too much power too quickly? I always feel my truck power gauge is way too much in the blue with just the slightest depression of my right foot.

I have a mobile service to replace my frunk bin and we’re gonna do a test drive for my alignment so hopefully I can comment on what he should be looking for while on a drive with him— never did a test drive with anyone in el segundo. Other than sending a dm to Wassym on Reddit how does one escalate issues beyond the SC?

Last edited:

josephponline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am running the 20 ATs and was getting terrible range and efficiency. followed all these threads re: weather, driving style, driving speed, hills, winds etc. Was averaging a 1.6 Over about 5,000 miles.

I noticed abnormal tire wear and took it in for alignment. The vehicle was so out of spec only 1 of the 12 values was green. Post alignment I’m regularly getting 2.1 and 2.2 if not higher.

mannlister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a R1T with stock 21" tires.. I am having the same issue - terrible efficiency numbers - ALWAYS below 2.0 mi/kWh avg. The weather here in Boston is warm, 70s - so it's not the temp impacting efficiency. Tire pressure is normal, with 49 PSI in each tire. My trip computer is never accurate, I always arrive at my destination from a long trip (>50 miles) with 10% less mileage remaining than predicted.

I've had a bunch of other issues with my truck, too numerous to list here (including a full high-voltage battery replacement - the car died during a charging session and had to be towed). Most of the issues have been rectified, but no answer for the truck's poor efficiency. As an example, my truck has NEVER exceeded 2.5 mi/kWh in the efficiency chart. The new HV battery made no difference, efficiency numbers were the same before/after.

I recently drove a loaner (R1T with 20" offroad tires), and as suspected, it got MUCH better efficiency - 15-20% better. Obviously, this is the exact opposite of what it should be. I drove it 600 miles over 2 weeks, so not a small sample size. I routinely hit 2.7+ mi/kWh with it. Overall avg for mixed driving in all-purpose mode and auto height with high brake regen was 2.21 mi/kWh vs approx 1.9 mi/kWh in my own truck with the 21's.

Any suggestions on next steps? Rivian keeps deflecting on the issue, no matter how many times I call and explain it to them, even with the data I collected from the loaner vehicle. They keep blaming weather, driving style, etc. even though i just did a 600 mile A/B comparison in the loaner truck. They are now asking me to keep a manual log of miles driven and efficiency, which seems strange considering the R1T collects and tracks all that data on its own.
Sponsored

Last edited: