Getting stopped and asked questions?

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Echoing others, "what is that?" is most common. I love blowing minds by putting things in the frunk. We also add 10 minutes to every trip for questions. "I saw you over at XYZ the other day and wanted to asked you then." Yeah definitely not me but sure thing, boss!

I've yet to see another Rivian owner in person, just passing by on roads, but can't wait till I see someone in a parking lot and get to ask them the same questions... šŸ˜ˆ
I'm looking forward to the day I can park next to another Rivian, or come out to see one of it's brothers next to mine. Silly I know.
Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
People here in Texas are generally curious. I would say most people that stop me know what it is, but 1/3 don't (or even know it is electric). One guy refused to believe it is rated 835HP, kept telling everyone multiple times "no way no no that is torque"... like he didn't even know what it was 30 seconds ago and is now the expert.

Side note, was driving back from a campsite yesterday on a 4 lane and saw a lifted decked out and blacked out diesel RAM coming up to to pass me. As it passes me I saw it had a huge illegal coffee can exhaust.

And I thought ... "Okay, I'm in a truck, made in America, is he still going to coal roll me?"

Rivian R1T R1S Getting stopped and asked questions? 1656246811764

Citibeach

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Occupation
Self
You donā€™t like talking with people? Wow. Then stay at home. What we do lack in this country is conversation and being open and kind to each other, so I find that my Rivian many times has been a conversation starter. No problem answering questions, or letting someone see the interior, but maybe thatā€™s becuse I donā€™t live in fear of other people.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

So for the record, I now carry a loony tunes style sign on a stick that says ā€œItā€™s a Rivian,ā€ on one side, and on the reverse itā€™s says, ā€œā€¦Rivian.ā€

Anytime I get the normal slack jawed look of wonderment from a passerby I hold it upā€¦

The most come question is ā€œwhat is it, and who makes it?ā€ The same people will ask you those two things repeatedly about a half dozen times.
Pic please

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

People here in Texas are generally curious. I would say most people that stop me know what it is, but 1/3 don't (or even know it is electric). One guy refused to believe it is rated 835HP, kept telling everyone multiple times "no way no no that is torque"... like he didn't even know what it was 30 seconds ago and is now the expert.

Side note, was driving back from a campsite yesterday on a 4 lane and saw a lifted decked out and blacked out diesel RAM coming up to to pass me. As it passes me I saw it had a huge illegal coffee can exhaust.

And I thought ... "Okay, I'm in a truck, made in America, is he still going to coal roll me?"

1656246811764.png
Keeping it classy....

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm looking forward to the day I can park next to another Rivian, or come out to see one of it's brothers next to mine. Silly I know.
Not silly.....just delirium at this point

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I would disagree with the rude/tacky idea (is tacky worse than rude?) You have no obligation to interact with people who approach you, especially given the state of the world we live in..

Early Tesla owners did the fact card bit. I thought it was a nice idea at the time and as an early adopter was thinking about doing it to hand over while answering questionsā€¦but that was when I thought an early order meant I would be an early adopter.

iCarlyā¤ has us all covered nowā€¦
But people do see it as rude, especially when they have the level of excitement we have now (or had in 2019)

I was an early adopter of Tesla and was ok with doing it for a while and sent a bunch of business their way, but by 2018 I got really tired of it as I had been doing it for years and my enthusiasm for the brand was going down with it's customer servicing abilities.

The problem was Tesla was really hitting it's mainstream groove during this time and I certainly got some nasty reactions when I expressed my brutally honest opinions which often had good and bad. You can see their faces shift from looking like a kid on Christmas morning to disappointment that it's a box of underwear to ultimate anger that that I didn't give them the reaction they expected/wanted.

I don't mind being a Rivian ambassador if you will, but quite frankly I'm not sure I want to vouch for the company, not right now. It's got a great product sure, but is it a great company? Is it one that takes such good care of it's loyal customers that we should vouch and sell it free of charge? I'd like to believe so but I'm not sure yet...

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
By the time I get mine, everyone will have their answers but I do know the feeling; Me and my wife have custom made wooden Kayaks and we get similar type of questions to the point we were turning into self absorbed annoyed snobs. Once, right as we parked on a small town street, this lady walks up to us and knocks on the window. My wife was reluctant to roll down the window and gave me a "not that again" look. We found out, she just wanted to give us her parking ticket that had some time left before she left her spot. She had no interest in our kayaks. That kinda got us off our high horses (that turned out to be more of a jack ass). Although, I generally don't like people, I hope I do OK spreading the word when it is my time. Aside from environmental issues, it is good for all the owner if the company is still around after a few years.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
1) What is your range? <BY A LONG SHOT>
2) Is that all electric?
3) What about towing?
4) Is that the first one? How many are there?

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

1656246811764.png
easy solution: don't let him pass you šŸ˜ˆ šŸ

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Happened to me at the airport a week or so back. Funny thing is I got gear guard video of the other owner checking out my truck and waving at the camera.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I would disagree with the rude/tacky idea (is tacky worse than rude?) You have no obligation to interact with people who approach you, especially given the state of the world we live in...
I am glad you and I don't occupy the same world. I would hate to live in a world where fear made me avoid random folks who want to talk about my truck.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I get a kick out of watching people stare at the truck as they pass meā€¦or what was really amusing was driving through a road in New Mexico in the northeast quadrant and as people pass, you look in the rear view and see them either a) cross the center stripe looking back at the unicorn they just saw or b) veering into the small shoulder looking back at the spaceship that they just passed. šŸ˜‚. One guy near Lubbock raced past meā€¦realized what he had just doneā€¦put on his hazards and saw him on the shoulder a mile laterā€¦thenā€¦5 minutes laterā€¦passes me slowlyā€¦cellphone camera on out the window freaking the f***out and giving a thumbs up before zooming away. (I was hypermiling to Amarillo, so going 68) šŸ˜. I donā€™t daily it, so I do imagine that everyday shopping trips, etc can become a real nuisance currently.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I do a lot of pointing to the tailgate when people ask "who makes it". "Rivian" is a foreign word to most people, thus pointing to it helps them visualize rather than trying to figure out what word you're saying that they've never heard before. Saves about 5-7 follow up "huh", "who", "but who makes it", "did Ford make it", etc, etc. questions.

Then reply, they're a new company, kind of like the Tesla of Trucks. Then they seem to get it.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

The majority of the time I'm driving I'm on the phone, typically on conference calls. It's extremely disruptive when people are honking at me, waiving their hands out of the window and asking me to roll down my windows at a stoplight. I try to ignore it but some people are so inconsiderate. I have no patience for someone getting out of their car and walking up to my window at a stoplight. I have no idea what their intentions are and it becomes a safety situation.

If you happen to catch me in a parking lot when I'm running errands and I'm not on the phone, and I don't have to be on time anywhere, I'm more than happy to chat for 5 minutes and even give a tour of the truck.

It's always the same question of "How do you like it?".

If I didn't like the vehicle I wouldn't be driving it; I would have sold it on eBay a long time back.
Sponsored