Get your kicks on Route 66

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
How about extending your range on trips by taking it slower and driving on the back roads. Old Route 66 is the perfect drive and it goes right through Bloomington/Normal, IL. There are so many interesting places to stop and see along the way. I know most people are in a hurry to get to whatever location you are traveling to, but I prefer to enjoy the journey along the way.

Old Route 66 or the mother road was built in 1926 and extends from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA. Much of the old road was replaced by interstate highways, but many of the older portions still exist. There is a Route 66 museum in Pontiac, IL and old preserved gas stations in Dwight and Odell, IL. People come from from all over the world to travel the mother road in classic cars and motorcycles. Maybe it’s time to do it in an EV.

https://www.route66roadtrip.com/route-66-maps.htm

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ll second this! The original Route 66 goes right through Tulsa, where I live. All along 11th Street here (Route 66) there are new shops; restaurants; etc. popping up that are capitalizing on the resurgence of popularity the old route is enjoying. I’ve seen interviews on local TV with owners of businesses along Route 66 who talk about the tourists they’ve met from Japan, Germany, and other parts of the world who fly in to either Chicago or LA, rent a car and drive the entire length of Route 66 one way. If you do decide to do the Route, be sure and stop at Pops just outside Oklahoma City: https://www.pops66.com/

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
I grew up near the old Route 66 in Missouri. You would always see a lot of interesting vehicles making the trek. There's a lot of the old "Americana" style tourist attractions peppered along the road. Makes me nostalgic for all the road trips I took with my dad.

Semi-related to Route 66, I've been planning to do an all-electric drive of U.S. 20, the longest road in the country. Boston, MA to Newport, OR. Since I live on the California coast, I figure to get out to Boston, I'll drive the entirety of U.S. 50 (the third longest road.)

Surprisingly, (or maybe not) the only real hairy spots for this trip would be eastern CO/western KS for 50, and pretty much all of Nebraska for 20. I have been scouting RV campsites and such in those areas, so I think it's doable.

Just need to get that Rivian in the driveway.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Yes to all this and more.... With my youngest a senior in high school my wife and I are starting to look towards being empty nesters, retirement and more road trips...

I am pretty proud of myself as a parent (I know that probably sounds bad) but one of my favorite accomplishments with my children was showing them this country. Through many road trips my kids have been to all 50 states. With as much traveling as I intend to do I am pretty hard set on waiting for the max pack R1S (whenever and whatever actual size that ends up being). Although it's going to be pretty difficult letting go of the LE that I have reserved.
Sponsored