Sponsored

General question on EV Disaster preparation

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The cool thing is the power to charge the battery from solar stays dc so conversion losses are minimized.
That is pretty cool - but don't you have to convert back to AC from battery to home anyway? Or am I missing something? Perhaps you go DC from battery to vehicle too and that's the advantage?
Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
That is pretty cool - but don't you have to convert back to AC from battery to home anyway? Or am I missing something? Perhaps you go DC from battery to vehicle too and that's the advantage?
You do still need to ultimately convert to ac to use the power, but just once. There are also ac coupled batteries, but then the power goes from dc solar to ac, back to dc to charge the home batteries, and back to ac to be used in your home and so there are more conversion losses.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I have a 20kw natural gas generator. Solar on our home is not meant to run when the grid is out. The generator is our lifeline after living through Irene and Sandy (2 weeks with no power for both).

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
I can only speak from my experience. I have a 21.6Kw solar grid on my roof and if the main grid looses power then the solar is automatically cutoff so as to not back feed into the main grid. That is why I have a 48kw generator for power failures.
Sponsored