Sponsored

Gear tunnel lights and power when driving question(s)

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT

Kurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Quick question(s) - Is there a way to keep the gear tunnel light on when driving? If not that, how about the 120v power outlet? How can one set it to "on" when driving?

Purpose - We are taking a three hour trip to the ocean with our two cats. The litter box is in the gear tunnel and the little hatch between the rear cabin and gear tunnel will remain open for them to come and go, from the gear tunnel. For this reason, I would like to have some low power LED light on in there for the duration of the trip.

Note: Not looking for a debate about traveling with pets, etc.
Not sure on your specific questions, but as a solution Ive found a battery powered motion sensor activated LED light strip that Ive installed in several closets that were dark. They turn on as soon as I open the door and stay on until motion stops. They attach using double sided tape, so no drilling and easy removal if necessary. Quick and easy solution when wiring is unavailable. Got these on Amazon, but I think Home Depot caries them as well, just a bit more expensive. AAA batteries are easy to change and last a long time!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Not sure on your specific questions, but as a solution Ive found a battery powered motion sensor activated LED light strip that Ive installed in several closets that were dark. They turn on as soon as I open the door and stay on until motion stops. They attach using double sided tape, so no drilling and easy removal if necessary. Quick and easy solution when wiring is unavailable. Got these on Amazon, but I think Home Depot caries them as well, just a bit more expensive. AAA batteries are easy to change and last a long time!
Yeah, I have a bunch of those in closets as well.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
As a cat owner myself, I think that's a solid idea. You might want to just go low tech and get a dim rechargeable light. I'm sure they won't need too much light back there to find their way.
👍🏼

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

My wife and I were laughing about the part of the manual where it said in huge letters, "Do not put pets in the gear tunnel." We thought, who the hell would do such a thing. Well, here we are. You know it's sealed right? As in no air?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My wife and I were laughing about the part of the manual where it said in huge letters, "Do not put pets in the gear tunnel." We thought, who the hell would do such a thing. Well, here we are. You know it's sealed right? As in no air?
You know you could read post #1, right? 🤨

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I did. Hilarious.

Also sent it to a relative who is a lawyer and we love to joke about the weird warnings in manuals, and how they got there.
Yeah, they are going to suffocate and suffer a horrible death with the hatch between the rear seats open to the main cabin. 🤣

Sponsored

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
Not sure if someone suggested this but I would get a battery powered led light and place it in the gear tunnel. Could even get solar powered ones and apply velcro on the back and stick it to the fabric. Problem solved and you have those lights to use while camping or when the power goes out.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Yeah, they are going to suffocate and suffer a horrible death with the hatch between the rear seats open to the main cabin. 🤣
I never said they would. Also, you'd never know until you open the tunnel and observe them.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Whelp, we head out tomorrow… will report out on the experience.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hear me out: I think cats like to poop in the dark. Do covered litter boxes have ambient light?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Don't forget your Geiger counter and radioactive isotope that may or may not decay.
Sponsored