First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Anyone know the frunk width? It would be awesome if it could hold golf clubs. I do an annual golf road trip with some friends and it I got the 3 row RS1 it would be a fantastic use of space
Not sure about the size, but RJ mentioned in the unveiling that it would fit a golf bag.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The R1S is the SUV and doesn't have a gear tunnel. The R1T has the gear tunnel.
The question was about the frunk, not the gear tunnel.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I regularly carry golf clubs in the front trunk of my Model X. You might be able to fit two sets in the Rivian frunk if it's wide enough given the additional depth. I haven't seen a dimension yet, but it would need to be at least 48" wide to fit.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Has anybody seen measurements for the frunk and gear tunnel? I am curious if my ARB fridge will fit in the frunk.
Can't answer the question but I can, in the hopes that Rivian is watching, express the hope that the frunk will be equipped with a switched 12V power point that, whenever the switch is on, remains energized, even though the vehicle is parked, for just this application. Of course it would be nice if this power point were de-energized, regardless of switch position, when the battery gets below a safety level.

An earlier post reveals that the gear tunnel has a 110V outlet in it. I suppose the frunk could use one too but 12V ones are handy too because the ARB fridges (and I assume others like them) have 12V compressors. When run on AC it must be rectified losing some battery energy as heat.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
An earlier post reveals that the gear tunnel has a 110V outlet in it. I suppose the frunk could use one too but 12V ones are handy too because the ARB fridges (and I assume others like them) have 12V compressors. When run on AC it must be rectified losing some battery energy as heat.
I think 12V is a given, and my ARB fridge will definitely be in the frunk from time to time; it can run AC or DC, but DC would obviously be preferred.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I wouldn't say it's obvious that 12V is to be preferred unless your reason is other than the one I am thinking of. The ARBs have 12V compressors. When they are run on 120 that 12 V comes from a rectifier/power supply in the unit. As that power supply is not 100% efficient there is some energy lost when the unit runs on AC. It is small but these things only take about 20 W when run on DC so even a watt or 2 represents an appreciable percentage loss.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
I am wondering how effective this type of fridge will be in an enclosed space like that, whether it fits or not. The fridge will heat the frunk, and if the frunk cannot dissipate that heat, the refrigerator will become less and less effective. I have one that we keep in the back of our Model X and if the cabin gets very hot, it can spend a lot of time running to keep up.

I suppose it is a case by case basis; whether the owner has it set to freeze or refrigerate, ambient air temps, etc. But it is likely a consideration.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
No question that the further uphill it has to pump the heat, IOW, the hotter the outside is, the less "efficient" the refrigerator becomes so that it has to draw more current to maintain its interior temperature as it becomes warmer outside. There's really a triple whammy here. First, the thermodynamic efficiency drops, second the head pressure goes up so the compressor has to work harder and finally more heat flows into the compartment through the insulation. It's clear that if you park the vehicle in the sun and leave it the fridge is going to draw more current than when underway. The only relatively good news here is that these refrigerators just don't draw much so that the solar load, when parked, is probably appreciably greater than the extra heat from the fridge. But frunk or trunk one should, when parked, try to keep the solar load down and run the cabin A/C if this is feasible (if it's in the cabin).

Interestingly enough I just stumbled across some puff piece on Rivien that said they are offering a refrigerator for the frunk. Makes sense, really. Given this I suppose the frunk is vented to keep heat shed from a refrigerator condenser from building up the temperature in it. Simple fan and thermostat? Totally passive?

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I am wondering how effective this type of fridge will be in an enclosed space like that, whether it fits or not. The fridge will heat the frunk, and if the frunk cannot dissipate that heat, the refrigerator will become less and less effective. I have one that we keep in the back of our Model X and if the cabin gets very hot, it can spend a lot of time running to keep up.

I suppose it is a case by case basis; whether the owner has it set to freeze or refrigerate, ambient air temps, etc. But it is likely a consideration.
I hope the frunk is vented. The confined space is definitely a consideration. I have left my ARB locked up in my Jeep in the hot desert sun a couple of times. I am sure the fridge didn't like it but it worked very well. Kept everything where I had it set at just above freezing. My 100W solar panel more than made up for power usage too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Don't know whether the Rivian Frunk Fridge (RFF) is for real or not but possibilities abound. Given the general Rivian theme it seems as if it would be nice to be able to take the fridge, as one can with an ARB or similar unit, out of the frunk into cabin, tent (run from a Jackery pack) or home. We can envision a unit that plugs into the vehicle's low voltage bus AND to one of its coolant loops thus shedding the cooling load outside the vehicle when in the truck and which works like a normal fridge when out of it. Frunk ventilation would not be needed with such a fridge. Having a sealed frunk might actually be a good thing (keep rain out etc.).

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
BTW, going over Rivians support center:

What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I'm buying a few things that we expect to take with us on road trips, and wanted to know if they'd fit in the gear tunnel.

So I decided to hit up the chat and see if they'd tell me.

And they did!

The gear tunnel is 65.6" long, the height is 21.2", and the width is 15.3"

Yes, the shape is irregular and those dimensions don't tell the COMPLETE story, but they were enough to answer my question.
Sponsored