linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I was taking a look on the Rivian website I saw this under 02 Experience/Connected car on the R1T
" Our cloud-based architecture and network of onboard computers integrate your vehicle, charging and Rivian app through a single user interface. Over-the-air updates continuously enhance the vehicle, updating everything from driving dynamics to the games on your touchscreen. "

As a gamer, I wonder what type of games could there be? Maybe Netflix like Tesla? I hope so!
Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I REALLY hope they have streaming video available on the screen (while parked) -- my son LOVES when we have to stop to charge our tesla because it means he gets to watch TV in the car. Not having that would turn charging from a treat to "is it done yet???"

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I understand the value this feature may have for some. But honestly, keeping with the off-road lifestyle, this feature will be useless to *me*. Even during down time when the vehicle is charging, a person doing off-road activities will be actively doing something else outdoors (camping, cooking, trailing, hiking, bike-riding, beaching {sand surfing as I call it} etc, etc, etc).

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
While I think just having another small device in the car functionally allows the same thing, there's something cool especially to kids about being able to just do it on the car. My son is young and the coolest thing to him about a Tesla is that it can play Cuphead.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I understand the value this feature may have for some. But honestly, keeping with the off-road lifestyle, this feature will be useless to *me*. Even during down time when the vehicle is charging, a person doing off-road activities will be actively doing something else outdoors (camping, cooking, trailing, hiking, bike-riding, beaching {sand surfing as I call it} etc, etc, etc).
You're going to do all those things while your Rivian is parked by a Walmart off an interstate on your way to your destination several hundred miles away? Not all of us do our outdoor activities within a single battery charge of our house, and there won't be charges at every single place we need to park while doing the outdoor activities we want to do.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
You're going to do all those things while your Rivian is parked by a Walmart off an interstate on your way to your destination several hundred miles away? Not all of us do our outdoor activities within a single battery charge of our house, and there won't be charges at every single place we need to park while doing the outdoor activities we want to do.
If I am parked at a Walmart it's because I'll be going into Walmart to make purchases (or walk around window shopping so that I am out and about doing something as simple as walking), even several hundreds of miles away. Not all of us have kids, or just sit in the car while it's charging. I currently own a Bolt and each time I traveled and had to charge, it was a locations where I can get out of my car (stretch my legs, grab something to eat, drink, or do some other type of activity outside the car), such as charging at a location that is at a restaurant or near it or an outlet mall, etc, etc. The only difference I can see me doing with the Rivian is now exploring a lot more outdoor options that I could not consider while in the Bolt. Mind you this is just me and my personal habits. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I respect that you don't expect games to be relevant to you but personally I love games when doing adventurous activities. I spent a summer just driving aimlessly all over the country a while back and I have fond memories of spending my down time curled up in the back seat of my car playing Chrono Trigger on my Vita while parked deep in abandoned Oregon logging roads. And if I was doing something like driving a long distance just for a day trip to hike, ski, etc. I could totally see myself spending 30 minutes or something relaxing and warming up after a physical activity before making the drive home.

That said, not sure how games on the Rivian will pan out since I don't think it's a focus for them. It did occur to me that the Steam Deck could be a fun EV companion though.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
One possible solution to the games on the screen problem: allow Airplay and/or Chromecast to the screen and audio system while the car is in park.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Personally couldn't care less. I know some may enjoy this but in the grand scheme it won't make it a better vehicle, get more range or have higher quality. I would actually argue the opposite. If they are doing things correctly they are focused on these things and not the party tricks.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I respect that you don't expect games to be relevant to you but personally I love games when doing adventurous activities. I spent a summer just driving aimlessly all over the country a while back and I have fond memories of spending my down time curled up in the back seat of my car playing Chrono Trigger on my Vita while parked deep in abandoned Oregon logging roads. And if I was doing something like driving a long distance just for a day trip to hike, ski, etc. I could totally see myself spending 30 minutes or something relaxing and warming up after a physical activity before making the drive home.

That said, not sure how games on the Rivian will pan out since I don't think it's a focus for them. It did occur to me that the Steam Deck could be a fun EV companion though.
Like I said, different strokes for different folks. If this is a feature you like/want, then all power to you. To me and my lifestyle, it is useless, however, just because I don't find any value in it doesn't mean others won't.

Sponsored

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
Well if it ends up running native android under the hood or has a proper web browser Google stadia might be an option for gaming. I know it's something I'd try and get working ??

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I like the beach buggy on the Tesla. Very creative and fun while charging. I’m sure rivian can do creative things like that as well that I can’t wait to see

FPHater

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an electric longboard
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Well if it ends up running native android under the hood or has a proper web browser Google stadia might be an option for gaming. I know it's something I'd try and get working ??
Same with Xbox Cloud Gaming! It's in beta, but works well so far (in my experience).

OP
OP
linkwpc

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing! I hope to get something like stadia would be use able. Or maybe Amazon Luna system.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Honestly, my top preference would be to have hdmi in— plug in whatever you want to stream or play.
Sponsored