Triangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition, 20" Brights, Ocean Breeze
Occupation
Cinematographer
Clubs

Wow that sucks! I trekked up and down CA this Thanksgiving. I hit the Buttonwillow and Manteca RAN chargers on the way up. Glad I didn't attempt the same on return. I almost tried to charge at the EA at Panoche but there was a line of 15 cars so I decided to go further to Harris Ranch which I'm glad I did. Zero wait for a 350 EA plus there's like 90 Tesla chargers there now! I was going to use one if the EA's were full. I'll be putting Harris ranch at the top of the list from now on though. Wish they put some RAN chargers there.

I wish the routing system could predict wait times at the chargers for EA. There was no clue that Panoche was completely slammed until I got there. It kept saying that 1/6 was available. It would have been a 2-3hr wait if I'd stayed there, yet 90 tesla SC's awaited just 30 miles further.
Sponsored

Triangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cinematographer
Clubs

How much are they charging?
I charged at Buttonwillow and it said .36/kwh but I just plugged in and it worked. At the next RAN charger is said the same price but then made me enter my CC.... I looked at my bank statement and the Buttonwillow charge was free weirdly. Does anyone know if the original RAN chargers are still free? Like Barstow, Bishop, etc.

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
I charged at Buttonwillow and it said .36/kwh but I just plugged in and it worked. At the next RAN charger is said the same price but then made me enter my CC.... I looked at my bank statement and the Buttonwillow charge was free weirdly. Does anyone know if the original RAN chargers are still free? Like Barstow, Bishop, etc.
Barstow is charging, but I haven't seen my statement yet.

Triangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cinematographer
Clubs

Did some driving on Thanksgiving (250 miles round trip), which sucked because horrendous traffic, but took the Tesla. Didn't want to spend hours at a crowded EA station
I've charged twice at Tesla SC's with my R1S so far. On both of them, it released the CCS adapter when I selected what vehicle I had in the Tesla app. How can you tell whether an SC can do this or not? I would assume that the SC at Harris ranch would have newer chargers with the CCS adapters but am I wrong about that?

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I've charged twice at Tesla SC's with my R1S so far. On both of them, it released the CCS adapter when I selected what vehicle I had in the Tesla app. How can you tell whether an SC can do this or not? I would assume that the SC at Harris ranch would have newer chargers with the CCS adapters but am I wrong about that?
There are few chargers with the magic dock (built in CCS adapter). You can see them in the Tesla app, and there are only 2 in CA (Placerville and Scott's Valley)

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Barstow is charging, but I haven't seen my statement yet.
Check your credit card, the Las Vegas and Barstow charges hit as finished charging for us. I only noticed as I have. Alerts setup for charges on my CC account.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
… I wish the routing system could predict wait times at the chargers for EA. …
This is a lot harder than people think. Tesla tries to show open chargers and wait times at their Superchargers but they are rarely accurate especially at the busy CA stations. There is also no checkin process so best they could do would be guess when current sessions will complete but have no idea what the waiting queue looks like.

I went to a 10 station SC the other day, showed busy in the car but 8 stalls were open, many times I show open stalls but pull. In to full station with people waiting. I just no longer pay much attention to the station status on the map.

On a good note though, they have added stations and stalls at a lot of places in CA so wait times are nowhere near what they were a few years ago.

Triangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cinematographer
Clubs

There are few chargers with the magic dock (built in CCS adapter). You can see them in the Tesla app, and there are only 2 in CA (Placerville and Scott's Valley)
Oh wow, it was the Scott's Valley one I used both times. I didn't realize it was only 1 of 2 in CA! The harris ranch SC is massive and very new, surprised it doesn't have the adapters. An off-the-shelf adapter won't work at all?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Oh wow, it was the Scott's Valley one I used both times. I didn't realize it was only 1 of 2 in CA! The harris ranch SC is massive and very new, surprised it doesn't have the adapters. An off-the-shelf adapter won't work at all?
Not yet but they are supposed to have those in 2024 that will allow CCS vehicles to use V3 and V4 super chargers. Best way to identify those are they are the 250 kWh and up chargers with thinner liquid cooled charge cables.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Nope. Tesla and Rivian locked chargers to their cars. Supposedly, in the next 6 months, Tesla will open most of its superchargers to CCS cars via an adapter. Until then, it's limited to a few superchargers with built in adapters

Sponsored

Triangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cinematographer
Clubs

This is a lot harder than people think. Tesla tries to show open chargers and wait times at their Superchargers but they are rarely accurate especially at the busy CA stations. There is also no checkin process so best they could do would be guess when current sessions will complete but have no idea what the waiting queue looks like.
As dumb as it sounds, they could include a live video feed in the app I suppose. One wide angle shot of the charging station would tell the tale, despite some privacy issues perhaps. Software to interpret that feed can't be too impossible to create I would think.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

$.36... just like EA with a membership.
EA switched to variable pricing per site. The ones closest to me range from $.48kWh to $.56kWh with the pass.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
EA switched to variable pricing per site. The ones closest to me range from $.48kWh to $.56kWh with the pass.
I think that is the Pass pricing, the Pass+ should give you a 25% discount. The last time I charged a few weeks ago it said 48 cents in the app but once I connected and started charging it showed 36 cents.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

I think that is the Pass pricing, the Pass+ should give you a 25% discount. The last time I charged a few weeks ago it said 48 cents in the app but once I connected and started charging it showed 36 cents.
Ahh yeah, you’re right. Point still stands that it’s variable.