Frozen Spare Tire Latch

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
So this weekend the Riv is sitting on a rim when I come out, caught a nail. No big deal right. Problem was, the spare tire latch and lid are froze. Took me forever to get it open by jumping on the lid to break ice/snow and eventually get it open but the latch to release the lid appears broke now and stuck in the open position. Submitted a ticket. Just a heads up for anyone else that might live in a freeze prone climate.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You must have forgotten to add the optional ā€œspare tire compartment heaterā€ that can be included for the low low price of $1500.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Let the kettle vs heat gun debate begin! Or maybe you just need to fill your truck bed with a huge tangle of incandescent Christmas lights.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You must have forgotten to add the optional ā€œspare tire compartment heaterā€ that can be included for the low low price of $1500.
Delays delivery to 2028, unfortunately; 2032 if you want it to not break.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Delays delivery to 2028, unfortunately; 2032 if you want it to not break.
And you must live within 2 blocks of your local service center if you donā€™t add it.

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Crap... I wish I found this when I searched last night. Ours did the same thing... my 5' 120lb wife snapped the lever trying to open it after it wouldn't open last night, and wouldn't open again this morning.

We don't have a spare tire, but we put some Costco frozen groceries in there because it's cold and we had a 90 mile ride home. Guess it's good the forecast is for freezing for the time being...

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We were able to pry ours open by putting a screwdriver under the lever. Havenā€™t figured out how to close it back up though. :p

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

He tried, but the best he could do was sign up for email updates on the Gear Shop product page.
Availability: sometime between the release of the Gear Tunnel Shuttle and s00n.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Was out testing all my doors and charging this morning in 14 degrees F. Spare tire latch is frozen and wonā€™t open. Forcing it seems like a bad idea.

LeDiable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I noticed this issue with mine on Tuesday. I was just showing a coworker around the truck and didn't want to break the release lever so I let it be. I'll have to try again now that it is marginally warmer (all of 2F at this moment) and parked in my garage.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I think Conair makes an aftermarket one for about $20 ;)

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Add our truck to this list. Didnā€™t break the lever, but it was difficult to open and eventually did. Wish I would have seen this thread first though because now the cables inside the slide are stuck and it wonā€™t stay latched on the drivers side. Or maybe the locking mechanism is installed just a hair too deep so it wonā€™t latch. I tried jumping up and down just above the U bolt and it felt like it was trying to grab but couldnā€™t. Luckily the tailgate sits on top of the edge of the spare tire cover so it wonā€™t fly open while driving down the road haha. Hopefully itā€™s just a cold weather issue? Anyone get this repaired and an explanation of what happened?

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™m supposed to get mine repaired on the 9th. Been having a few cold weather issues.