Not open for further replies.

ward00

First Name
marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vw
What is the point of having a "truck" that is not functional as a truck. Pray tell, for $80K+ how does one transport 2x4 lumber with a rear window that does not open. This is a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
What is the point of having a "truck" that is not functional as a truck. Pray tell, for $80K+ how does one transport 2x4 lumber with a rear window that does not open. This is a deal breaker for me.
In the bed with the tailgate down? You really run lumber through a glass window? What happens if you, um, brake quickly?

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
This reminds me. I wish the racks that mounted to the bed sides would telescope up. Rivian are you listening!!!

Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
I have a Honda Ridgeline, similar size bed. I’ve easily transported 4x8 plywood and drywall, 10 and 12 foot 2x6s, bundles of 16 ft trim, and 10 foot cut trees. One or two straps, it’s easy.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Great first post. Sorry it’s a deal breaker.

Please lock the door behind you on the way out.

OP
OP

ward00

First Name
marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vw
Yes, I run long lumber through the window. With what you suggest and the extremely short length of the bed, the lever arm of 10 foot lumber would tilt out of the bed onto the road.

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I run long lumber through the window. With what you suggest and the extremely short length of the bed, the lever arm of 10 foot lumber would tilt out of the bed onto the road.
with the tailgate down it’s just under 8 feet. 2 feet overhang won’t tilt.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I definitely understand. The bed opens surprisingly long with the gooseneck lift gate. Check it out if you haven’t already. From there it’s straps and red rags. Pretty sure it’ll be doable.

Wait 10ft. Isn’t long enough for you? How long are we talking here?

By the way, the interior is pretty fancy. I’m not sure you want that $5 lumber having it’s way in the cab.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
With the tailgate down it's 7 feet long, so they wood would not tilt out.

You're able to lay plywood sheets flat in the bed.

As the pictures others have shown, straps also work to keep things from "tilting"

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But longer lumber will.
No, it won’t. I have a Ridgeline, essentially the same bed length with the tailgate down. Strap it properly (only way to legally put stuff in the bed of a truck anyway) and 16 foot lumber will work just fine. If you want fewer straps get a hitch mounted extender and you’re done.

OP
OP

ward00

First Name
marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vw
I definitely understand. The bed opens surprisingly long with the gooseneck lift gate. Check it out if you haven’t already. From there it’s straps and red rags. Pretty sure it’ll be doable.

Wait 10ft. Isn’t long enough for you? How long are we talking here?

By the way, the interior is pretty fancy. I’m not sure you want that $5 lumber having it’s way in the cab.
If the Rivian is going to make it as a truck like the F150 does, it will need to appeal to those that drive trucks and not Teslas.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.