First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Hyundai Ioniq 5
Occupation
Retired Professor
Overall, it was a fun trip. The Rivian was a pleasure to drive.

I worried about charging but had no problem at all. I used mostly Tesla Superchargers. My A2Z adaptor worked great. Charging using the Tesla chargers was virtually automatic -- just plug in and walk away. The Tesla chargers are spaced such that it took almost no extra time to drive my EV compared to driving my old LandCruiser. I just planned my stops to coincide with lunch, a midafternoon snack, or dinner. I also took advantage of a Tesla destination charger at my hotel in Dayton for an overnight charge before heading home.

My "charging anxiety" is gone.

Thank you, Rivian, for a great driving experience.
Sponsored

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales

I worried about charging but had no problem at all. I used mostly Tesla Superchargers. My A2Z adaptor worked great. Charging using the Tesla chargers was virtually automatic -- just plug in and walk away. The Tesla chargers are spaced such that it took almost no extra time to drive my EV compared to driving my old LandCruiser. I just planned my stops to coincide with lunch, a midafternoon snack, or dinner. I also took advantage of a Tesla destination charger at my hotel in Dayton for an overnight charge before heading home.

Tesla SC travel is very convenient. Once Rivian was able to use the SC system, I immediately traded my MY for the R1S and road trips with my A2Z adapter are seamless. Curious: Did you track your efficiency for the 2500 miles?

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Yep, once you’ve done an EV road trip you figure out it is no big deal. The Tesla (and Rivian) chargers are definitely a step above the rest for ease of use.

OP
OP

nebcomp

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Professor
Tesla SC travel is very convenient. Once Rivian was able to use the SC system, I immediately traded my MY for the R1S and road trips with my A2Z adapter are seamless. Curious: Did you track your efficiency for the 2500 miles?
I should have tracked my efficiency for the whole trip. I did, however, watch the efficiency graph on the dash. My efficiency stayed at or just under 2 miles/kwh. I drove the speed limit on the Interstate. At one point, I changed from 70 mph to 60 mph and my efficiency went up to about 2.2 or 2.3 miles/kwh. The temperature was in the low 80's for the trip.

One more note. I charged to 90% at each Tesla SC. As you know, the time it takes to go from 90% to 100% is significant. However, I did leave home at 100% charge and, thanks to the Tesla destination charger at the hotel, I left Dayton with 100% for the trip home. I also should have mentioned that I have both of the A2Z adapters, the NACS DC adapter and the NACS AC adapter.

pkingduk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Quad
this is good to hear. I am looking at Los Angeles to Atlanta and back in june and it would be my first EV roadtrip.. jumping into the deep end..

Sponsored

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

I should have tracked my efficiency for the whole trip. I did, however, watch the efficiency graph on the dash. My efficiency stayed at or just under 2 miles/kwh. I drove the speed limit on the Interstate. At one point, I changed from 70 mph to 60 mph and my efficiency went up to about 2.2 or 2.3 miles/kwh. The temperature was in the low 80's for the trip.

One more note. I charged to 90% at each Tesla SC. As you know, the time it takes to go from 90% to 100% is significant. However, I did leave home at 100% charge and, thanks to the Tesla destination charger at the hotel, I left Dayton with 100% for the trip home. I also should have mentioned that I have both of the A2Z adapters, the NACS DC adapter and the NACS AC adapter.
I just did 3250 miles, 2.36 avg, avg speed was 56. I drove between 70 and 80 in conserve mode. Cost me 544 bucks, which is pricey, but I loved every minute of it.

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

We’ve found that our regular 635 mile trip from San Diego to Escalante, Utah that is at the most thirty minutes longer in the R1S than the Toyota Highlander. You learn to pace the trip to match charging with “taking a break.” Once you learn to believe the ABRP routing/charging program there’s no reason to suffer from “range anxiety.” We also enjoy the trip more too.

OP
OP

nebcomp

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Professor
I just did 3250 miles, 2.36 avg, avg speed was 56. I drove between 70 and 80 in conserve mode. Cost me 544 bucks, which is pricey, but I loved every minute of it.
Except for the free charging at the Dayton hotel, charging was much pricier on the road than at home. My max pack dual motor R1S doesn't have conserve mode. So, I can't compare. I do strongly agree with "I loved every minute of it."

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

Except for the free charging at the Dayton hotel, charging was much pricier on the road than at home. My max pack dual motor R1S doesn't have conserve mode. So, I can't compare. I do strongly agree with "I loved every minute of it."
My quad motor conserve mode is two motors in the front.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

You have it it's just automatic I believe in the dual.

des16

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We drove from Salt Lake City to NY on our R1S quad with 21 inch road, relying on EA and RAN chargers exclusively. We had not yet received the NCAS adaptor so couldn't use Tesla chargers. We had previously done the drive with a Tesla. First, kudos to EA. Every charger worked flawlessly and never had to wait. It is a bit more cumbersome that the RAN or Tesla charger since you have to initiate the session with the app. I relied on the mapping software in car, although was tracking on ABRP. There were a few instances ABRP indicated we could stretch the drive between chargers, but decided to go with the R1S software's recommendation. Main complaint was that because of spacing of chargers, we had to make a couple of stops in only 1:45 hr in the beginning of the trip. Weather was awful and strong winds out of the east, so, possibly it could be different if winds were more favorable and rain wasn't so heavy. I miss the Tesla's FSD when driving on secondary roads, but Highway assist was comparable on the interstates, other than shutting off more frequently. Certainly the R1S is a more comfortable road trip vehicle that either our MY or MX by virtue of it's size and more varied seating position options. And I was pleased that it was as quiet. As others have said, charging is not a big (if any) savings relative to gas, unlike when we got our first Tesla in 2012 when we often paid 15 cents per KwH.
Sponsored