Sponsored

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I completely agree. Critical operations (charging doors, vehicle doors) need to have a manual override, or be manual-tension loaded in the first place. We don't need electric motors for everything...
We had a 2001 VW with a cable operated fuel filler door that required considerable disassembly of the rear trunk liner to actuate the ā€œemergencyā€ release. and I donā€™t think that was described in the owners manual. When my wife called the dealer from the gas station (car was only a few weeks old) they suggested she pry it open with a screwdriver.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

CarGuyBD

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch
Occupation
Retired
From looking at the ig posts from all the vehicles weā€™ve seen, ALL appear to be posting as if following some rivian social media guidelines but not actually admitting anywhere to being employees. It all feels like a big charade to prove deliveries, when no deliveries to the general public have occurred. If they planned on delivering the first several months worth of production to employee orders, just say so, ā€œitā€™s for quality assurance purposesā€ or something.
On a related note, itā€™s acceptable practice in the automotive/business world for ā€œsalesā€ to include both retail transactions to employees as well as ā€˜company carsā€™ for employeesā€™ use. I know this because both my spouse and kid are executives for a major car company and a while back we (everyone who had a company car) were mandated to take an electric vehicle to boost ā€˜salesā€™ figures. Ironically, this was my reason for doing a 180 on electric vehicles, reportedly a common reaction of people, and thus why I am waitlisting an R1T.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
We stayed at a hotel in Wolfeboro, NH that had a couple of Tesla HPWC for guests. It looked as if the charging wand had been driven over a few times by a vehicle substantially larger than a Tesla to the point that the little button that opens the charge door when pressed did not work. I had to open the charge door manually! I was able to get past this trauma and charge so in the end all was OK. But it was a harrowing experience for sure!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Ouch, that must hurt! Already dented the front door with in just a few days of getting the truck.
Conversely, it is impossible to dent the doors of the Cybertruck because you can't dent something that doesn't exist.