Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Well bookmark this thread, grab the popcorn and let's see who's right in 6-8 months.

My feeling is that the recession is caused in large part to the fed overreacting to inflation which is being driven by disruptions in supply chain from COVID and from Ukraine which will largely be mitigated.

How long a slowdown lasts depends on how long it takes for them to start cutting back on interest rates again.

Mortgage rates were < 3% 8 months ago and they are > 7% today, so you can have a dramatic change in a short time if the market forces call for it.
Completely agree a lot can happen in just a few months and if the experts can get it wrong then I surely can. We have had loose financial co do tons for 14 years with essentially zero interest rates and QE. It needs tightening and we need demand to come down to help catch up to the supply issues which are slowly resolving. Inflation has reached areas of the economy that are not related to supply chain manufacturing issues.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Sell those F-150 Lightnings quick because their last-gen battery tech will be the anchor that sinks value once more 800V systems come out like the upcoming Chevy EV Silverado. I say that as a traditional "Ford guy." Even RIvian R1's will be viewed as somewhat archaic in battery tech come 2025ish.
People buy benefits, not features. 800V motors are not a benefit to the consumer. 800V vehicles will charge faster in some curcumstances. That will be a big benefit to a small group of owners.

That said, I hope max pack appears with a split 400/800V architecture. (I also hope max pack does not appear with Rivian built motors)

By far the most important DCFC feature is functioning and available

I wonder how this affects Rivian?

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

People buy benefits, not features. 800V motors are not a benefit to the consumer. 800V vehicles will charge faster in some curcumstances. That will be a big benefit to a small group of owners.

That said, I hope max pack appears with a split 400/800V architecture. (I also hope max pack does not appear with Rivian built motors)

By far the most important DCFC feature is functioning and available

I wonder how this affects Rivian?

I just hope Max Pack sees the light of day next year. Then again, if charge speed doesn't improve, it may not be worth it for me. With the current charge curve, you're looking at over an hour to charge from 20-80% at a DCFC.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I just hope Max Pack sees the light of day next year. Then again, if charge speed doesn't improve, it may not be worth it for me. With the current charge curve, you're looking at over an hour to charge from 20-80% at a DCFC.
Max pack should have a better charge curve than current vehicles, but it will still be 500 amp limited on 400v CCS.

This is why I think the max pack will be paired with Rivians first major electrical revision.

I would still buy the truck with a 400v max pack. I won't buy the truck without max pack. Since the Defender that I would replace the R1T takes 6-7 months to factory order I will be very unhappy if Rivian cancels max pack next year.

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I'd love to see more options for 100-mile range daily driver city vehicles. My household has had just one car for twenty years, but it's finally time for a second and I want it to be budget friendly. I'd love to have a light truck with a small battery. Anyone know where I can get an electric El Camino?
This remains my plan: keep our '15 eGolf for the daily commute. At 4.4 mi/kWh over the last 1,000 miles, it's great. And it carries our family of 2 humans and 2 big dogs just fine.
They're a bit hard to find in the current wacko used car market but we got ours just 3 years-old for ~$12k.
Rivian R1T R1S Failed R1T auction: High bid price of $85K doesn't meet reserve PXL_20221011_004743347

Platt Auto in Milwaukie, OR currently has a few Fiat 500e's available which was the other super-commuter we looked at.

The R1T will be the 1st new vehicle I've bought and I hope my last. It isn't so much an investment (which would imply I expect it to hold value to sell for a gain) as it is a necessary tool that I want to pay good money for upfront in hopes it will last a long time and fit our family's needs. I hope the era of individual car ownership (and usage) comes to an end - for the planet's sake - before the truck needs to be replaced.

I just hope it comes s0O0O0O0ON since our '04 Grand Vitara may not last another winter...

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
you are completely missing the point. Yes used EVs have value, but they don’t increase their value as a result of being an early build EV. If you are choosing between 2 identical R1Ts today, you’d want VIN 15000 over VIN 150 because you know it’s likely better built.

In 5 years nobody is going to prefer a 2022 R1T over a 2027 R1T. Same with a model S. Nobody prefers a 2012 Model S over a 2017 Model S. Same with the iPhone.
I agree with everything except your comment about early VINs. I think they were more careful, less rushed and thoroughly inspected the early VIN trucks.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I agree with everything except your comment about early VINs. I think they were more careful, less rushed and thoroughly inspected the early VIN trucks.
Agree with this. I think I made this comment somewhere else but Elon Musk said this about Tesla: for a new model buy at the beginning of production or after the ramp as ramp up vehicles will have more QC issues.

Also looks like cars and bids has two more R1Ts that sold at just about 90k so under retail for the options.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Fit and finish quality: Wait until shift #2 is added with brand new employees.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
When do we think SN range 0009900-0010000 was built (August?) and what stage of ramp up were they in at that point when these trucks were built!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Mine is in the 4500s and it’s in pretty good shape. Earlier than that and it’s hit or miss. R1S with VINs in the 500s are some of the worst built Rivians we’ve seen here. They are totally rushed.

There’s no added value it an early VIN.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Mine is in the 4500s and it’s in pretty good shape. Earlier than that and it’s hit or miss. R1S with VINs in the 500s are some of the worst built Rivians we’ve seen here. They are totally rushed.

There’s no added value it an early VIN.
I’m picking up VIN 991X tomorrow. So, before the Sandy Munro cheapening frunk implementations (~11,500) but after the initial early startup VIN challenges. I figure mine was built the second half of August. Thoughts? Was that a “good time” production quality wise?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I’m picking up VIN 991X tomorrow. So, before the Sandy Munro cheapening frunk implementations (~11,500) but after the initial early startup VIN challenges. I figure mine was built the second half of August. Thoughts? Was that a “good time” production quality wise?
Should be. Many of us have had no significant issues and others have had major problems - so there are no guarantees. But anecdotally that’s a good period of production. And the QC teams at the service centers know all the common issues to check before it gets to you. So you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Sponsored