First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
This is according to Ford financial report for the first half of the year. That is a remarkable number in such short period of time. Also, 3/4 of reservation holders are apparently new to the brand.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Also, 3/4 of reservation holders are apparently new to the brand.
WOW, that is the really incredible statistic IMO.

I also think that Ford will sell as many of these trucks as they can make. F150 Lightning is an inflection point in EV awareness & adoption.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
$100 refundable placeholder. I'd hope there would be that many.

*EDIT* Still very awesome though for EVs as a whole
Agreed, I've always said to take $100 deposits with a grain of salt. I placed one "just in case", but 99% chance that I won't execute on it.

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner
Agreed, I've always said to take $100 deposits with a grain of salt. I placed one "just in case", but 99% chance that I won't execute on it.
I think there are a lot of people with a $100 deposit who are not serious about buying they just want a placeholder just in case. I think the same is true of the Cybertruck. I think it was smart of Rivian to do $1000. It will weed out people who are not serious and give a more accurate number for actual orders.

Sponsored

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I also have a reservation for an F-150. I am probably not typical, but for me, it will come down to do I fall in love with the R1T? I have owned 3 F-150s so they are a known quantity.

IMO, despite having just announced, Ford is winning the battle of the marketing fluff. The thundering silence from Rivian on specifics given how close they are to production is very disheartening. Ford is still 18 months away from production but we know more details about the Lightning than we do the R1T.

I am waiting for the Max Pack on my R1T but I am hoping I can get a test drive before I have to make that decision. If I fall in love with the R1T, its a done deal. If I dont, then I will have a very difficult decision to make between the R1T and F-150.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Same.
I did the $100 deposit and I am probably at a 90% chance that I will not go for it.
For me it isn't between an R1T and Lightning, but quite possibly swapping out my Leaf for it depending on how long I have to wait for a Max pack R1S.
Leaf is my personal while the R1S will be for the wife. The Lightning would give me some more utility as my daily driver.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
At $100 no risk, I'm one of them.

And there's about a 0.01% chance of me following through with it.

I think pre-order conversions on R1Ts will be much higher.

It's a neat number, but a drop in bucket compared to Ford's business and how many will actually buy the truck.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
I'm one of many with pre-orders for CyberTruck, F150 and Rivian.

And, if I get one -- it'd likely be the F150.

Rivian was my first "love" -- but, interest has waned over time as I can buy in much cheaper for the F150 if I wanted to, and just the Rivian R1T interior space (dimensions) was disappointing.

Also: It seems like I will likely get a chance to buy a F150 Spring 2022 (within first 20K preorders) ... and likely not see an offer to buy a CyberTruck or Rivian until 2023/2024. That part mostly on me as I didn't preorder Rivian until this year due to the $1k premium. But, Rivian's wording was misleading at best for the "January 2022" start of deliveries message, which was the main reason why I placed it (thinking I'd get a chance Early 2022 to buy it).

But, still keeping Rivian preorder on the books in case something changes later.

CyberTruck was really my: why not -- it's just a refundable $100 deposit... No way I would likely buy that monstrosity :) Price/Features are tempting though.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
A couple of points caught my attention in the ford numbers. Order pace has slowed. They had as many reservations in the first 6 days a they have in the last 6 weeks. And the majority of the reservation holders are new to the f-150. My take away is the early orders were people use to the new reservation game BS. The majority of current F 150 owners who would consider a EV pickup will say "hey when you have a truck you can sell me call" and are not interested in some 6 months turns into 2 year delay game. The other question about the 120K number is if includes fleet sales. Ford will have no problem selling the EV F150 if it even close to the vehicle in the videos. Battery supply will be the limiting volume factor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I also have a reservation for an F-150. I am probably not typical, but for me, it will come down to do I fall in love with the R1T? I have owned 3 F-150s so they are a known quantity.

IMO, despite having just announced, Ford is winning the battle of the marketing fluff. The thundering silence from Rivian on specifics given how close they are to production is very disheartening. Ford is still 18 months away from production but we know more details about the Lightning than we do the R1T.

I am waiting for the Max Pack on my R1T but I am hoping I can get a test drive before I have to make that decision. If I fall in love with the R1T, its a done deal. If I dont, then I will have a very difficult decision to make between the R1T and F-150.

Ford is about 7-9 months from production, not 18 months. IMO Ford will hit high volume production right out of the gate.

I reserved a Lightning 6/15/21 and should be able to configure and purchase one this fall. Well ahead of being able to do the same for a R1T Max (3/20/21 Reservation). My expectation is that a Rivian guide will not reach out to me until summer 2023. I may purchase a Lightning to bridge the gap.

Last edited:

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
... IMO Ford will hit high volume production right out of the gate ...
When you're dealing with a legacy automaker that's been around for over a century, they have the capacity to facilitate mass production on that scale of volume. Rivian is still in its baby steps. Note: I'm not stating it as an excuse on Rivian's behalf, but it's a known hurdle all new companies have to deal with until they break that first milestone.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

When you're dealing with a legacy automaker that's been around for over a century, they have the capacity to facilitate mass production on that scale of volume. Rivian is still in its baby steps. Note: I'm not stating it as an excuse on Rivian's behalf, but it's a known hurdle all new companies have to deal with until they break that first milestone.
I agree. I was making that exact point to Kickaha. For a late Rivian reservation holder such as myself I can take delivery of a Lightning well before I would get my R1T Max. I don’t fault Rivian and plan on holding on to my reservation.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Ford will sell every 150 Lightning they make, as soon as it hits the dealers. Just look at the Mach E, there are many orders cancelled, but the cancelled ones are bought within a day or 2 of seeing the dealer lot. There will be much more interest in an electric pickup than the Mach E, and the Mach E is now the second best selling EV in the US.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Ford will sell every 150 Lightning they make, as soon as it hits the dealers. Just look at the Mach E, there are many orders cancelled, but the cancelled ones are bought within a day or 2 of seeing the dealer lot. There will be much more interest in an electric pickup than the Mach E, and the Mach E is now the second best selling EV in the US.
I reserved a Lightning 6/5/21 and I agree that they will not sit on a lot for long. Rivian may still be the first to start delivering vehicles but Ford will of course hit volume production well ahead of Rivian for obvious reasons.

By the time Rivian achieves volume production some Lightning owners may want to upgrade to the R1T, so still a win for Rivian. I may be one of them.

IMO Rivian is focused more on the impending IPO than delivering pre-orders to an estimated schedule, hence the silence. Again IMO they are also focused on delivering a few quality vehicles on or near the new delivery date. Good press is essential for a successful IPO.

Sponsored