Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks Steve. I'll call tomorrow.
I'm in WA and wave 3 (yesterday). It's very dependent on how quickly people ordered with the dealer you selected. I ordered at basically when the site went up during the presentation and was third in line at my dealer basically because I was slowed by typing in my info while walking the dog.

The waves are just fairly low numbers, and people ordered very fast.
Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I ordered at basically when the site went up during the presentation and was third in line at my dealer basically because I was slowed by typing in my info while walking the dog.

I was refreshing the page every five seconds before the presentation started. I had my CC in hand and reservation submitted within 20-30 seconds of opening. I selected a realitivly small dealer in LA and was later told I was 6th reservation in line there. Today I was told I was the 5th person at the dealer to get an actual order in.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was refreshing the page every five seconds before the presentation started. I had my CC in hand and reservation submitted within 20-30 seconds of opening. I selected a realitivly small dealer in LA and was later told I was 6th reservation in line there. Today I was told I was the 5th person at the dealer to get an actual order in.
Guess I should be more impressed by my multitasking to ability walk the dog, consider a food truck that was in the neighborhood, watch the presentation, and placing the preorder. Lol.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I'm in WA and wave 3 (yesterday). It's very dependent on how quickly people ordered with the dealer you selected. I ordered at basically when the site went up during the presentation and was third in line at my dealer basically because I was slowed by typing in my info while walking the dog.

I thought reservations wouldn't open until after the presentation, so I waited until it was over and ordered immediately. That's where I made my mistake I suppose. When ordering the Silverado, you did have to wait until the presentation was over.

My dealer doesn't really know what's going on, or I don't. I did call this morning and he said I was third out of 20 on his list, but there had only been 1 wave. Like everything else, I'll sit back and wait.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I thought reservations wouldn't open until after the presentation, so I waited until it was over and ordered immediately. That's where I made my mistake I suppose. When ordering the Silverado, you did have to wait until the presentation was over.

My dealer doesn't really know what's going on, or I don't. I did call this morning and he said I was third out of 20 on his list, but there had only been 1 wave. Like everything else, I'll sit back and wait.
That's weird, sounds like your dealer isn't paying a ton of attention. There's definitely been three waves, and my dealer was told what their 2022 allocation would be (waves 1 through 3). Wave 3 is 24+ weeks out, so I suspect if anyone hasn't been allowed to order yet, they won't have a chance at a 2022 delivery.

Tbh, I think the Silverado wil be a cooler vehicle. Hopefully you got a very early order for it!

Sponsored

Joninrye

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 4.20.52 PM.png

Well... I ordered it. XLT+ w/ Tow Pkgs

But no mistake - still buying the Rivian R1T. The SUV doesn't make sense for me. I don't ~need~ two trucks, but I feel like it's low risk having both. I want the Rivian for daily driving and plan to use it for that. The R1T will replace my BMW i3.

I spec'd the Ford more as a work truck to replace my V8 Tundra. Cloth seats, physical controls, ext. But I had to get the stupid $9500 312A pkg because heated seats were a requirement for me and couldn't be ordered on any lower level. Feel like Ford knew what they were doing to push people into over priced option packages on this one. So Im getting way more than I wanted on a work truck, but had to have heated seats.

Alright Rivian, lets get that R1T ordered next. Give me a call...
I also went ahead and ordered the Lightning (Lariat with extended battery), despite my R1T allegedly coming in March/April.

I really prefer the Rivian but LOVE the idea of having the F150 battery backup for my house. If Rivian added that capability I would cancel the Lightning. Anyone know if that is a planned upgrade for existing R1Ts?

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone know if that is a planned upgrade for existing R1Ts?
I imagine Ford can offer this because of that 9.6kW inverter onboard. Guessing the Rivian isn't coming with such a powerful inverter to switch back to AC.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I also went ahead and ordered the Lightning (Lariat with extended battery), despite my R1T allegedly coming in March/April.

I really prefer the Rivian but LOVE the idea of having the F150 battery backup for my house. If Rivian added that capability I would cancel the Lightning. Anyone know if that is a planned upgrade for existing R1Ts?
I imagine Ford can offer this because of that 9.6kW inverter onboard. Guessing the Rivian isn't coming with such a powerful inverter to switch back to AC.
The backup solution is different than the inverter. That's why the Ford pro EVSE has a CCS connector. (As far as I can tell) It's pulling DC power back from the battery and sunrun's system includes an inverter. There isn't really a reason the R1T couldn't do the same thing, and RJ mentioned it last summer during the Q&A. For example, Deiss has said the ID.4 will also have it as a festure via a software update.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The backup solution is different than the inverter. That's why the Ford pro EVSE has a CCS connector. (As far as I can tell) It's pulling DC power back from the battery and sunrun's system includes an inverter. There isn't really a reason the R1T couldn't do the same thing, and RJ mentioned it last summer during the Q&A. For example, Deiss has said the ID.4 will also have it as a festure via a software update.
I think I read they were including the EVSE if you got the big battery, but I haven't heard the price of that Ford EVSE itself. But if it has DC cabling and inverter inside, it sounds expensive. I don't think I'd want to be plugging in a CCS everytime I charge. Those cables are cumbersome and heavy compared to the J1772. There's also a serious limitation on length with CCS where you can get 30ft of 48A J1772 easily enough.

I see how that would work for Rivian then using DC. But.... ugh.. if that's how Ford is doing it, I think I'll pass on that tech.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think I read they were including the EVSE if you got the big battery, but I haven't heard the price of that Ford EVSE itself. But if it has DC cabling and inverter inside, it sounds expensive. I don't think I'd want to be plugging in a CCS everytime I charge. Those cables are cumbersome and heavy compared to the J1772. There's also a serious limitation on length with CCS where you can get 30ft of 48A J1772 easily enough.

I see how that would work for Rivian then using DC. But.... ugh.. if that's how Ford is doing it, I think I'll pass on that tech.
It is. I'd guess it's a thousand or two as well. It still has a 25ft cable IIRC, but you have a good point. Plugging in a CCS plug each time could be annoying.

Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just saw this, so keep an eye on your order.
"Report: 2022 Ford Lightning Bait and Switch? A Dealer Is Still Charging a Markup"

https://tfltruck.com/2022/02/report...d-switch-a-dealer-is-still-charging-a-markup/
Ford must step in with that case if those facts are true. Its a fraud case - the manufacturer can certainly still cancel that allocation and assign the order to another dealer. Stories like this will hurt Ford the company more than the dealer.

On a side note - I also confirmed with my dealer before clicking to confirm the order. They also said no markup on orders. I asked... "Yeah but any other fees?" They replied licensing and doc fees. So of course I asked... "and those are how much?" Apparently just a few hundred dollars. So ok then... everything is on the up and up so far. But yeah I too have the fear that won't be the case coming signing time. I have otherwise no previous history with the dealership but been pretty happy with their responses thus far.

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Like many of you I hedged my bets and configured my Lightning this week (wave 3). I went with an XLT standard battery pack in Oxford White. The $40k Pro model sold out quickly in wave 1. The Ford e-mail stated a 24 week wait after production begins in the spring.

To hedge my bets even further I have a standard pack R1T Explore reserved as well as a Tesla Cybertruck. As of today I have configured 2 out of the 3 BEV pickups that I have deposits on. They each have great qualities, it will be a tough decision.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

While I already found this information sleuthing the order page, I got a call and email from my Ford dealer confirming my Lightning production date and VIN! That $5k ADM is looking real good right now...
Sponsored