First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the report. Not surprised that snow mode is not the best for deep snow. Regarding the windshield wipers, my experience is that in heavy wet blowing snow, this happens in any vehicle. Having literally hundreds of hours in the seat snow plowing, I've seen this on all brands of vehicles. The wind just sucks any heat out of the windshield preventing it from melting. It's really a pain in the butt to have to clear the wipers every 10 minutes when you are plowing for 6 hours, but it is what it is.
I don't disagree with you on this I do believe the way the Rivian is setup compounds this with the melting snow dripping down on the wipers from the windshield and with the way the wipers are "tucked" away under the fronk keeps the wind from blowing the water away making it clump quickly on the wipers.... just my thoughts as I didn't have this issue with my BMW
Sponsored

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
The problem I have on our PA 2 lane State paved roads is the roads are not plowed wide. The center with heavy crown may show pavement or be blcak ice, but right side has heavy snow. Along with crown, this pulls unenvenly towards the ditch (we have no shoulders). Encountering a vehicle the other way puts the right side in that heavy snow and encountering idiots who plow sriveway snow into the roadway creates a fierce tug to the right and can bounce your foot on the pedal. The Rivian is heavy so correction is touchy. Hopefully, Rivian addressed this with "snow mode". Photo is a normal commute on our PA State Highway. On this commnte I was pulled to the right in a slide 4 times and had to ever so gently correct.

PA State Road on way to work.jpg
I will be interested in what your take is when you get Snow Mode

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Ok so we got the new Snow Mode and I have taken the time to put it through it's paces... The new Snow mode works great on pavement that has compact snow and ice on it and I do like the low regen in that scenario and the soft acceleration however outside of that I couldn't find anything better than the all terrain mode. that being said I actually had to dip out of Snow Mode and back into the All terrain with regular break regen when the snow on the road was thick and heavy (I am talking about 8 to 12 inches on the road) which I had to deal with today. Today I got stuck in the middle of Snoqualmie Pass when they closed it. The snow was pounding, heavy winds and no snow plows there where many Semi's that where jackknifed and lets just say it was a mess. Snow Mode worked great up until that point after sitting there for a hour getting pummeled by the storm I was finally able to get moving by weaving around a bunch of semis and my R1T owned it. For the next half hour I plowed my way through a foot of snow no path cut for me and never once got squirrely or felt that I was about to lose control and I did it all not in Snow mode... All Terrain mode with regular regen gave me the power and the confidence to plow through this s*it show of a snow storm. So what did I learn? Well here are my take always

• Snow mode is great on pavement with compact snow and ice and a couple inches of pow this includes hills. Could work with steep hills with a lot of pow on them with the soft regen as long as you easy the throttle off.
  • If your dealing with deep snow even on the highway go All Terrain with regular regen. The power to push through the snow is unmatched
  • The Rivian Windshield wipers failed me. They kept getting caked with snow and I had to stop several times to clean them off as they where no longer cleaning the windshield.
  • Windshield wipers and the frunk. I found you are unable to pull the wipers straight out from the windshield to clean them the frunk prevents that even if you open it. It made it extremely hard to remove the snow from them and break the ice that was building up on the wipers off.
  • Another frunk / wiper complaint. There is a huge "gap" where the wipers sit under the frunk lip in my case this was filled with snow and the melting snow from the windshield which then made that snow compact snow. So compact that it caused my wipers to stop functioning all together! I had to get out and scoop the snow out on the side of the highway in order to get the wipers to work again. This is stupidly hard as that part of the truck is very hard to reach even with a tool (scraper).
  • Ok another take away with the wipers.... They don't sit high enough at rest on the windshield for the heat to thaw the snow off of them. Rivian needs to figure out a way to "snow proof" the wipers it sucks to constantly have to pull over in a snow storm to manually knock the ice off the wipers because it gets caked on with no heat going to them to melt the ice. (this is also compounded by the snow melting off of the windshield then refreezing on to the wipers)
  • Ok back to Snow Mode... Rivian please have Snow Mode disable lane assist and re-enable it when snow mode is turned off this is a huge hazard in the snow and can cause accidents
  • Last thing is with a lot of Pow and heavy snow it tends to build up on the back windshield and even with the window heat on it just doesn't melt at all. and the amount of build up is crazy when you have heavy snow which also blocks the rear view mirror.

I know I complained a bit here but all in all these are first world problems and in general the Rivian got me on and off the mountain multiple times in one day during a very heavy snow storm safely and I felt safer than in any other vehicle I have driven in a long time. So take from this what you will I still love my gen 1 Rivian.... just image what Gen 2 will be like

Thank you Rivian!

Edit: Where the *ell is Christmas mode? I couldn't find it!
This is a great post. All snow is not equal. There's a reason you see all types of skis in the olympics. Snow conditions and intention changes the way your equipment responds! I'm just glad to have the option(s)

Johnsykas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Chevy Bolt, BMW X3, Chevy K2500 dies
Occupation
Insurance
I will be interested in what your take is when you get Snow Mode
Yes. have not received it yet. ice buildup has been the bigger issue. The ice can puch the buttons as it freezes and expands. I got in one day, and my tonneau cover tried to open and, of course, with the ice, it broke. The charge port door freezes from the inside, so takes some pounding to break up ice. I can get the gear tunnel open by opening rear door and tugging while I push button after removing ice from the button. The tailgate is harder push button, pull over and over till it breaks loose enough to open. I worry about how I will get these open on ski trips to VT. These are really not Northeastern vehicles. Even the headlights ice over when temps drop heading up VT mountains. I plan to keep it inside while home during storms and use my diesel until I can figure out how to deal with Rivian & ice build up. I thought they tested in Alaska for this.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Yes. have not received it yet. ice buildup has been the bigger issue. The ice can puch the buttons as it freezes and expands. I got in one day, and my tonneau cover tried to open and, of course, with the ice, it broke. The charge port door freezes from the inside, so takes some pounding to break up ice. I can get the gear tunnel open by opening rear door and tugging while I push button after removing ice from the button. The tailgate is harder push button, pull over and over till it breaks loose enough to open. I worry about how I will get these open on ski trips to VT. These are really not Northeastern vehicles. Even the headlights ice over when temps drop heading up VT mountains. I plan to keep it inside while home during storms and use my diesel until I can figure out how to deal with Rivian & ice build up. I thought they tested in Alaska for this.

I have had some of the same issues though really around the charge port when charging outside overnight I get ice buildup while the port is open and when I close it the port does not seal fully. Same with the door handles ice gets in there and causes issues the "hot" air that is supposed to blow threw the door handles from the climate control just isn't hot enough to melt the ice.... however the climate control in cold weather is a whole other issue!

Rivian R1T R1S Experience: Snow Mode is great on pavement w/ compact snow & ice, but All Terrain Mode is better for deep snow IMG_20221218_105454232_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S Experience: Snow Mode is great on pavement w/ compact snow & ice, but All Terrain Mode is better for deep snow IMG_20221218_105457706_MP

Sponsored

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ok so we got the new Snow Mode and I have taken the time to put it through it's paces... The new Snow mode works great on pavement that has compact snow and ice on it and I do like the low regen in that scenario and the soft acceleration however outside of that I couldn't find anything better than the all terrain mode. that being said I actually had to dip out of Snow Mode and back into the All terrain with regular break regen when the snow on the road was thick and heavy (I am talking about 8 to 12 inches on the road) which I had to deal with today. Today I got stuck in the middle of Snoqualmie Pass when they closed it. The snow was pounding, heavy winds and no snow plows there where many Semi's that where jackknifed and lets just say it was a mess. Snow Mode worked great up until that point after sitting there for a hour getting pummeled by the storm I was finally able to get moving by weaving around a bunch of semis and my R1T owned it. For the next half hour I plowed my way through a foot of snow no path cut for me and never once got squirrely or felt that I was about to lose control and I did it all not in Snow mode... All Terrain mode with regular regen gave me the power and the confidence to plow through this s*it show of a snow storm. So what did I learn? Well here are my take always

• Snow mode is great on pavement with compact snow and ice and a couple inches of pow this includes hills. Could work with steep hills with a lot of pow on them with the soft regen as long as you easy the throttle off.
  • If your dealing with deep snow even on the highway go All Terrain with regular regen. The power to push through the snow is unmatched
  • The Rivian Windshield wipers failed me. They kept getting caked with snow and I had to stop several times to clean them off as they where no longer cleaning the windshield.
  • Windshield wipers and the frunk. I found you are unable to pull the wipers straight out from the windshield to clean them the frunk prevents that even if you open it. It made it extremely hard to remove the snow from them and break the ice that was building up on the wipers off.
  • Another frunk / wiper complaint. There is a huge "gap" where the wipers sit under the frunk lip in my case this was filled with snow and the melting snow from the windshield which then made that snow compact snow. So compact that it caused my wipers to stop functioning all together! I had to get out and scoop the snow out on the side of the highway in order to get the wipers to work again. This is stupidly hard as that part of the truck is very hard to reach even with a tool (scraper).
  • Ok another take away with the wipers.... They don't sit high enough at rest on the windshield for the heat to thaw the snow off of them. Rivian needs to figure out a way to "snow proof" the wipers it sucks to constantly have to pull over in a snow storm to manually knock the ice off the wipers because it gets caked on with no heat going to them to melt the ice. (this is also compounded by the snow melting off of the windshield then refreezing on to the wipers)
  • Ok back to Snow Mode... Rivian please have Snow Mode disable lane assist and re-enable it when snow mode is turned off this is a huge hazard in the snow and can cause accidents
  • Last thing is with a lot of Pow and heavy snow it tends to build up on the back windshield and even with the window heat on it just doesn't melt at all. and the amount of build up is crazy when you have heavy snow which also blocks the rear view mirror.

I know I complained a bit here but all in all these are first world problems and in general the Rivian got me on and off the mountain multiple times in one day during a very heavy snow storm safely and I felt safer than in any other vehicle I have driven in a long time. So take from this what you will I still love my gen 1 Rivian.... just image what Gen 2 will be like

Thank you Rivian!

Edit: Where the *ell is Christmas mode? I couldn't find it!
When you say "all terrain" mode are you referring to "all purpose" or one of the "off road" modes?

RivChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WRX, 911T
Occupation
Product Manager
Clubs

Snow mode is great on pavement with compact snow and ice and a couple inches of pow this includes hills. Could work with steep hills with a lot of pow on them with the soft regen as long as you easy the throttle off.
Are you saying that snow mode reduces power? I was under the impression it just required a little more lean-in on the throttle to get the same output? I drove around briefly up in Cle Elum and came away pretty impressed with Snow Mode. The sliding while braking was greatly reduced and it felt even easier to modulate the throttle. Still think I need to switch to some winter tires at some point but it was a giant improvement from All Purpose for stopping.

Agreed on the wiper issues, frustrating that my '13 WRX had that problem resolved w/ a heating element where the wipers sit.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
you can adjust the regen however it is the squishy throttle that gets you in deep heavy snow...

Not sure how well the service button works I will have to try that next time
I mean their notes kinda alluded to that, use off road mode for real snow.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Are you saying that snow mode reduces power? I was under the impression it just required a little more lean-in on the throttle to get the same output? I drove around briefly up in Cle Elum and came away pretty impressed with Snow Mode. The sliding while braking was greatly reduced and it felt even easier to modulate the throttle. Still think I need to switch to some winter tires at some point but it was a giant improvement from All Purpose for stopping.

Agreed on the wiper issues, frustrating that my '13 WRX had that problem resolved w/ a heating element where the wipers sit.

It doesn't reduce power but it does ease into the power... and I totally understand why they do that its why I think it is great on roads with compact snow and ice but when your plowing through deep snow and the roadway is really rough I like the power of the All purpose mode.

on a side note this post is obviously my opinion!

Sponsored

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I mean their notes kinda alluded to that, use off road mode for real snow.
It does and I am hoping that the ECRC jan 21st off road in the snow will also reinforce my thoughts on that and Rivians

RivChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WRX, 911T
Occupation
Product Manager
Clubs

It doesn't reduce power but it does ease into the power... and I totally understand why they do that its why I think it is great on roads with compact snow and ice but when your plowing through deep snow and the roadway is really rough I like the power of the All purpose mode.

on a side note this post is obviously my opinion!
Should put it in sport mode and blast through the snow! :devil:

Joking aside, do you feel like you could get high centered if the snow was too deep? Curious about the limits of these trucks but I don't necessary want to discover them myself.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT

Joking aside, do you feel like you could get high centered if the snow was too deep? Curious about the limits of these trucks but I don't necessary want to discover them myself.
Actually that thought had crossed my mind and I think in deep enough snow any vehicle can get high centered however I felt confident with the weight of the truck and the fact I was running at standard height if I did end up high centered that I would be able to adjust the height and maybe event go into an off-road mode and get myself out.

Sconces

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2 Comp/Rivian R1T

Not sure if you’ve seen this…